Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vdubbin

Can you drink alcohol while on acutane????

i herd there are 3 doses/strengths of acutane. If i decided to go on it it would be the smallest weakest dose. Just to dry up my face a little and finally rid some of my spoty acne. I know they say u cant drink while on acutane but really how harmfull could the smallest dose be??? Im not talkin abuseing alcohol, im 26 and i party mostly on the weekends with friends. Do the club/bar thing, so if i have 7 or so drinks 2 nights a weeks is that really harmfull while takeing acutane??? If anyone has any info that has done this or knows anything about doin this please leave some info, thanks

Binge drinking such as you describe is actually more dangerous than if you drank the same amount but spread out to 1-2 drinks every night. You are giving your liver a sudden large load of alcohol to process, and Accutane is already stressing it. I suggest you either become the designated driver for the duration of your treatment, or cut back to one or two drinks when you go out instead of 7 or so.

I drank all through the christmass holidays and new years. I still drink on the weekends. Its not even a issue anymore.

My blood tests always turned out ok. The liver toxicity on accutane is minimal. Overrated IMHO

Now go have a beer, and a shot

i would still stay clear.

Obviously a beer or 2 once in a while is perfectly fine, but you still have to be carefull... better safe than sorry

in my own pexperience, dont listen to jack people on these boards tell you about the medical side of things like this. no one here is a doctor, and they have no idea as to what will happen to you. Do as the derm tells you, its always best.

Anyone telling you to just go off and drink yourself into a coma while on tane are being highly irrisponsible.

people should start finding things out for themselves than always asking. What is ok for one person might not be for others.

What I say I know from personal experience.

Do what you want , but at least accutane doesnt contro my life

now, back to my beer biggrin.gif

it boils down to this:

you're gonna need your liver for the rest of your life. accutane is metabloized in your liver, as is alcohol. a drink here or there won't kill you, but it definitely won't help anything. BUT just ONE drink every once in a while. not 7. anyway, isn't that whole binge drinking thing over by the time you graduate university? come on.

Guest Craigems

I have limited my drinking. I have drunk on and off during the treatment and trying to stick to limiting my drinks... Also making sure i drink only 1 every hour or so and drinking lots of water inbetween and lots before bed.

Binge drinking i would not recommend it ever really. Look if the packet on your tane says dont drink then follow it. If not then check with your derm... but personally no i havent bothered and ive been out heaps and got drunk without any reprocussions (mainly coz i was clever and drank lots of water)

Guest Craigems

binge is more the quantity at one time rather than total amount ... because 7 beers could be over 7 hours ...

Its more like 7 beers in 1 hour is binge drinking.

i herd there are 3 doses/strengths of acutane. If i decided to go on it it would be the smallest weakest dose. Just to dry up my face a little and finally rid some of my spoty acne. I know they say u cant drink while on acutane but really how harmfull could the smallest dose be??? Im not talkin abuseing alcohol, im 26 and i party mostly on the weekends with friends. Do the club/bar thing, so if i have 7 or so drinks 2 nights a weeks is that really harmfull while takeing acutane??? If anyone has any info that has done this or knows anything about doin this please leave some info, thanks

I haven't touched any alcohol since starting accutane. Actually for a while before too. I was too embarrased to go out and I only drink when I go out. But I do not plan to drink any until I am atleast a month off accutane.

But I am really dying to go out and have a good time. My god, it's been so long since I had any kind of fun out in public. Hopefully my skin will start looking better so I can atleast start going out again without drinking.

Yes it can, i drink just as much as i did before.

It only affects working of accutane, it works less effective.

I am only on 20MG tho

Do you think its better to drink a few shots of vodka on accutane or 3-5 bottles of beer instead? I think beer has a more serious effect.

i drank while on it... i had two severe emotional drunken mood swings that involved screaming matches and utter insanity... so i'd say avoid drinking.... most of the time i was fine, but meh... i won't be forgetting those episodes any time soon.