Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Went to a derm yesterday, after hearing my history (course of Accutane about 15 years ago) and looking at my back she said to start the birth control proceedings and she'd prescribe a 6 month course of Accutane. In the meantime, antibiotic prescription - Bactrim (anyone used that?). So i guess if the bloodwork looks good i'll be starting in a few months.

I'm hoping that the miserable experience i remember from the first time was more because i was a moody teenager (no offense to the moody teenagers here wink.gif ) and that as an adult it won't be so uncomfortable.

Yeh, well, i can dream right? lol.gif

Edit: oh, and i'm scheduled for an in office surgery to remove a suspicious mole and an old cyst that went "underground" and never came to head or went away. Fun.

Thanks for the heads up. I have used topical sulphur drugs previously with no problem, but i realize you can develop allergies to things that never bothered you before so i'll keep an eye out for that. (Assuming that sulfa = sulphur)

It kills "all" bacteria? Including the digestive tract flora? Any issues related to that i should keep an eye out for?

when taking any antibiotic, MAKE SURE you take a probiotic twice daily. This can save you much heartache. trust me

when taking any antibiotic, MAKE SURE you take a probiotic twice daily. This can save you much heartache. trust me

Good luck! I'm already on my second course (and I stopped treatments just 1.5 years ago).

i was on bactrim, did it's job alright... still got cysts and stuff but less. It worked like tha t until my derm told me i didn't need it anymore and came back a month later and now i'm on roaccutane.

Went to a derm yesterday, after hearing my history (course of Accutane about 15 years ago) and looking at my back she said to start the birth control proceedings and she'd prescribe a 6 month course of Accutane.  In the meantime, antibiotic prescription - Bactrim (anyone used that?).  So i guess if the bloodwork looks good i'll be starting in a few months.

I'm hoping that the miserable experience i remember from the first time was more because i was a moody teenager (no offense to the moody teenagers here  wink.gif  ) and that as an adult it won't be so uncomfortable.

Yeh, well, i can dream right?  lol.gif

Edit: oh, and i'm scheduled for an in office surgery to remove a suspicious mole and an old cyst that went "underground" and never came to head or went away.  Fun.

Took my first dose of Bactrim last night, and i dunno if it is my imagination or what, but i had a hard time sleeping, many of my blemishes had a strange deep itch (i usually sort of scratch around them when they itch, but this time the itch wasn't on the surface and it didn't really help) and once i woke suddenly with a feeling like a bug was crawling on me. Gah! shock.gif

a probiotic is simply a pill or small flavoured drink which contains all the good bacteria your body needs.

taking one will replenish what the antibiotic destroys, and keep your immune/digestive system intact preventing infections and ailments such as candida and the like.

Phil has a point there- Any time you are on antibiotics, you should be sure to eat a lot of good bacteria- like yogourt or cottage cheese, etc.... because the antibiotics kills all bacteria- good and bad.

Got any evidence that the bacteria actually survive the process of being packaged into a pill, and that it effectively recolonizes the digestive tract, and that it isn't simply immediately killed off by the antibiotics? Or are you just taking the marketing at face value?

beentheredonethat...

ever wondered why many if not most antibiotic users complain of acne coming back after treatment worse than it was before (myself included, twice)?

your digestive and immune system, and related functions are very important for dealing with the toxins we put in out bodies. these functions are compromised when we destroy the good bacteria that is involved with antibiotics. when you come off the anti's your left more vulnerable than before. its a vicious circle.

here is a very good article describing how antibiotics without appropriate measures will simply lead to a cycle of future health problems.

but hey, its your body. you dont have to take a probiotic if you dont want. even tho a month supply will only cost about $8 and is as simple as popping a pill every night. whatever.

So, what you seem to be saying is that you in fact don't have any evidence (documented scientific studies, as opposed to an unsupported document from a colon cleansing site) that this bacteria in question can survive the pill making process, or that they can recolonize the digestive tract via a pill, or that they won't simply be immediately killed off by the antibiotics?

I really don't think Phil cares much whether you take a probiotic or not. He's just trying to be helpful.

I take a probiotic every day (I take Multibionta vitamins, which contain probiotics), which seems to help make my IBS not as bad as it would be otherwise. I don't take antibiotics though

I appreciate the helpfulness, i am just looking for some actual studies (not anecdotes) that indicate that it actually does something.

Look at it this way, we are talking about bacteria which naturally colonize the digestive tract. Such bacteria would be adapted for human body temperature, moist environment, a certain ph, a certain nutrient balance. Unless it is a type which can encyst itself to survive unfavorable conditions, i don't see how it can survive the process of being added to fillers and binders and dried out and bottled and shipped and sitting on a shelf at some health food store for 6 months before making it's way down my throat. These types of pills are considered a supplement, and therefore do not have to go through the FDA screening process to verify their claims, therefore i'd like to see independent studies that confirm it.

I see aquarium companies marketing bacteria in a bottle to quick cycle a fish tank, and studies have found that it does ZERO to speed the naturally occuring cycle unless it is one of the few types that are kept refrigerated and used quickly before the bacteria dies off, and even then the effect is minimal and you are much better off getting some colonized material from an established tank for that purpose. Most of the aquarium bacteria products are just glitzy marketing and they are making lots of money off that market while not even filling the advertised purpose.

Obviously we are talking about different strains here, and if there is some indication that they can survive and reform a viable colony in human digestive tracts, i would probably go find a bottle. Without it, i'll stick to yogurt.