Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

alright, so I'm new to this board. I have pretty bad acne and I've had it for about 3 or 4 years. I've seen my dermo, and he put me on a combo of some meds, but they dont seem to really help. Acne has been very irritating to me, cause it's basically stolen any self confidence I have. Its not to say I'm depressed, I'm actually quite happy, just very anti-social and quiet.

So, I was thinking today about when my acne started. I remember it was in 8th grade, cause in 7th grade my skin was fine, and I would brag to my friends about it. So here's the thing, I think my acne started after I started shaving. The acne itself is mostly on my cheeks and neck and chin, which is exactly where I shave. Does this sound at all resonable? I increased shaving and my acne seems to get worse, and now I have to shave about every one or two days....

so my question is, what can I do to prevent breakouts after shaving? I use after shave, but is there anything else I can do?

OK: Shaving can aggravate acne and the products that you put on your skin during shaving can potentially cause it.

You could try using an electric razor- this will cut down on skin aggravation and number of products you put on your skin.

You could try products such as Edge active care shave gel (see product reviews) which are non comedomic and give a smoother shave.

You could scrap the aftershave which probably has perfume and shit in it that will most likely CAUSE spots and not help prevent them. Try putting some aloe vera gel on post shave-this will soothe your skin and helps with red amrks too.

After shaving you may want to give your face a steam to ensure that those pores you have just opened stay clean. (Get a pyrex bowl, fill with boiling water, put your head over it and cover your head with a towel. Stay in positon for 5 minutes) Yes i know its takes time and appears ver infeminate.

The other option i to grow a beard. You could just leave it for a month and see if your skin condition gets better- if it does then you may want to keep the beard, shave less often or take some of the above precautions.

Give it a go?

I use Oxy 10 wash as an aftershave and so far it has done the trick. But, I was just on accutane (off for about a month) so I don't know what it will do for you, but I think it's pretty good.