Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amnesiac

Some info about healing

Well i found this site which may be helpful to some, i don't know if Dr.Y uses this method or if there are any more studies that provide more information about the treatment but check it out:

link

The stimulation of postdermabrasion wound healing with stabilized aloe vera gel-polyethylene oxide dressing

Fulton J.E. Jr.

The Acne Research Institute, 1587 Monrovia Street, Newport Beach, CA 92663 USA

J. Dermatol. Surg. Oncol. (USA), 1990, 16/5 (460-467)

Full-face dermabrasion provided an ideal opportunity to document the effects of dressings on wound healing management. Following the procedure, the abraded face was divided in half. One side was treated with the standard polyethylene oxide gel wound dressings. The other side was treated with a polyethylene oxide gel dressing saturated with stabilized aloe vera. The polyethylene oxide dressing provided an excellent matrix for the release of aloe vera gel during the initial 5 days of wound healing. By 24-48 hours there was dramatic vasoconstriction and accompanying reduction in edema on the aloe-treated side. By the third to fourth day there was less exudate and crusting at the aloe site, and by the fifth to sixth day the reepithelialization at the aloe site was complete. Overall, wound healing was approximately 72 hours faster at the aloe site. This acceleration in wound healing is important to reduce bacterial contamination, subsequent keloid formation, and/or pigmentary changes. The exact mechanism of acceleration of wound healing by aloe vera is unknown.

anyone know if Dr.Y uses this?

Or maybe if one could apply aloe vera gel afterwards for the results?

It's form the acne research institute and it says " wound healing was approximately 72 hours faster at the aloe site. This acceleration in wound healing is important to reduce bacterial contamination, subsequent keloid formation, and/or pigmentary changes"

Which would be good for all of us getting dermabrasion.

That's interesting. I know Dr. Yarborough uses the Vigilon dressing which is the standard polyethylene oxide gel. Still I'm a little dubious that this would accelerate wound healing.

I've read scientific studies on hyperbaric O2 accelerating wound healing, but I didn't think

it really helped at all in my case, just comparing notes with other dermabrasion patients' healing progress. It would certainly be a LOT cheaper than what I tried so it's at least worth a shot.