Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
(eLLe)

my regimen log: for mild acne

Red Font=new edits

Brief Introduction

have suffered from mild but persistent acne since 13 (i'm almost 19 now). i didn't know nothing about acne during the teen years and used all the wrong products, therefore my skin condition deteriorated. this regimen is the result of my trial-and-error attempts to reinstate good skin. our skin's needs constantly change, so my regimen will be formatted accordingly.

Current Skin Condition

-extremely mild acne, just a few pimples on the forehead and temple (that are dying by the way eusa_dance.gif ) thanks to this regimen which i have followed religiously for several months.

-extremely noticeable blackheads on nose and chin that look like disgusting sesame seeds. evil.gif

-combination skin: fairly oily t-zone and normal everywhere else

The Regimen

Morning

1. cleanser. currently using st. ives apricot foaming cleanser (cnd$4). very effective, cleans well yet gentle. however, will not repurchase as it contains sodium lauryl sulfate (very badddddd chemical). currently on the lookout for subsitutes: clinique's soap, dove essential nutrients foaming cleanser, biotherm, vichy... if you have a suggestion, please let me know. smile.gif

2. toner. currently using dove essential nutrients clarifying toner (cnd$7; no alcohol). i love it!! immediately brightens complexion and hydrates skin. also has a very soothing smell. however, heard rumours of discontinuation. sad.gif therefore, also on the lookout for subsitutes: nivea pink toner, kiehl's calendula/cucumber... again, if you have a suggestion, let me know.

3. day lotion. i have in stock 2 lotions: clean&clear dual-action moistrurizer (cnd$7) and olay complete spf 15 (cnd$10) c&c contains salicylic acid, however it doesn't do a very good job moistrurizing, especially not during the harsh dry canadian winter. doubt.gif since it doesn't work for the winter, i use it in the summer when i have to stay home. definitely will not repurchase. olay has sunscreen, isn't oily, and is a great moistrurizer. recently rated best day lotion with suncreen in InStyle magazine.

Night

1. cleanser.

2. toner.

3. clarins lotus oil (cnd$53). this is 100% essential oils. it claims to do the following and i included my personal results:

- rebalance combination skin prone to oiliness: yes, definitely less oil oozing out during the day. foundation no longer cakes.

- Helps normalize sebaceous secretions: not really, blackheads are still here.

- Helps "tighten" the pores: yes, pores on forehead are significantly less visible. however, large pores on nose and around nose are still here, possibly because of the blackheads.

- Helps prevent moisture loss: don't know, maybe.

- Nourishes and leaves skin supple and soft: don't know maybe.

i'm very satisfied with the results. btw, the jar lasts a very long time as you only need a couple of drops each time.

4. the body shop tea tree oil (cnd$8). i pop my "matured" pimples, then blot this on with a cotton swab. very effective. generally, a popped pimple goes down in 1-2 days. also used the tea tree oil blemish stick, about the same but less concentrated. also recommend.

Other Treatments

- exfoliation. currently use st. ives medicated apricot scrub (cnd$4). i use it once every 2 days in the shower. this was a great product to begin with. leaves skin baby bottom soft and a very good exfoliant. however, i'm beginning to find that it's too harsh because the scrub particles are too big and rough. moreover, it contains sodium lauryl sulfate (remember? it's badddddddd....). so chances are i will not repurchase. again, on the lookout for other scrubs: neutrogena deep clean gentle scrub...

- body exfoliation. currently use olay body scrub (cnd$6). i have the occasional zit on my back. i use it weekly. meh, it's ok, it's not an essential in my regimen.

- deep cleansing. currently use clinique deep cleansing emergency mask (cnd$26). it really removes the gunk in the forehead pores. doesn't do much for my stubbern blackheads. doubt.gif unfortunately, results last one day. a wonder product in this category is borghese fango active mud, which sadly isn't sold in vancouver. or else, i would rather get borghese.

also use tweezerman blackhead removal loop (cnd$14) right now. mygosh, it hurts like hell! i havta press down sooooo hard to get the the sebum stick out. OUCH!! should be ok for the occasional blackheads, but definitely will not work for me as my entire nose is filled with blackheads!

so this is the revised blackhead regimen, i figure i should get at least 70% out:

- use clinique emergency deep cleansing mask to remove the easy blackheads

- afterwards use the blackhead removal loop to squeeze out the stubborn ones

- disinfect with tea tree oil

- acne prevention. currently use the body shop tea tree oil face mask (cnd$16). wonderful wonderful wonderful product. really minimized my breakouts. one of a kind product on the market. will repurchase.

-------------------------------------------------

ok, this is how everything looks like right now. my skin is soo much better than before. as you can see, no drugs and topicals. i try to use natural ingredients as much as possible, e.g. lotus oil and body shop things. i will try to incorporate more natural-ness in my regimen in the future.

I have mild acne too. Mine is only on my forehead. It started when I was 24 and I'm 28 now. My skin is pretty much normal; only spot that gets a little oily is my forehead.

Do you live near any health food stores? I have had great luck with the products I find in my local one; much more natural and you can find lots of things that don't contain sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate.

Lots of people talk about spectro gel--I hear it's supposed to be good.

Have you ever tried apple cider vinegar? I just started using it (as a toner, twic a day after washing) and so far I'm happy--except with the smell. It seems to pull things to the surface faster and make them pop/scab over. It contains malic acid (an AHA) so it will exfoliate you. Also it's somewhat antibacterial and it helps to acidify your skin so acne has a harder time getting started--your skin is supposed to be acidic naturally but a lot of cleansers will screw up your pH, and how long it takes your skin to recover from this depends on how sensitive it is--anywhere from 3 hours to three days. I mix mine 50/50 in a container with water. I read somewhere to toss a couple of aspirin in with it, since it's sort of related to salicylic acid--never had any luck with SA myself, but I threw the aspirin in anyway. Couldn't hurt, right? Definitely need to wear a sunscreen when you do this though.

I like tea tree oil too; I wasn't brave enough to by it undiluted, so I got it in creme form--Derma e Tea tree and E antiseptic cream. It's 5% tea tree oil. It seems to work but it's a little too heavy now that it's getting hot here. Jason makes a tea tree gel that I'd really like to try, I can't find it locally anywhere so I may have to splurge and spring for the shipping. Drugstore.com has that if you're interested in checkin it out. It's really cheap...but so am I.

For my cleanser, I use Margo neem soap. It is hard to find but natural and cheap (ebay--two bars WITH shipping was under $6). It's ayurvedic--neem oil works a lot like tea tree oil I think. The first couple of days I thought it might be too drying for my skin, but I've adjusted really well to it, and it seems gentle enough to use two, or even three times a day. The only drawback to this is it also smells really really weird/gross but I'm adjusting, and it has completely kept me from getting any inflamed pimples.

Now, I just have to hope that the vinegar takes care of what's left--lots of tiny little clogged pores--but I think my acne is on it's last legs. Sometimes I steam, and sometimes I use the Queen Helene mint julep masque, but I don't think this is necessary, and I only do it when I have lots of time on my hands, which isn't often.

Good luck!! Even mild acne is retarded and frustrating. I can't even believe how obsessed I am with a few clogged pores...

thanks orduroyaddict biggrin.gif

i'll definitely check out a health food store! i never knew they carried skincare products... hmm, should be interesting

spectro jel: i did use it for half a year (given to me by my family doc). it's extremely gentle, even for sensitive skin. but it doesn't give the result of a "squeaky clean", which i prefer. meh, i didn't continue using it because it didn't "cure" acne, it did somewhat calmed my skin at the time however.

May 10, 2005

ugh, skin still sooooo gross today. one gigantic pimple on left cheek. it's just soooo noticeable. i will never ever ever use the body shop ve mask ever again!!! argh.....

ok, forehead seemed to have calmed down SIGNIFICANTLY after following regimen within 2 days. eusa_dance.gif

future buying plans:

- a blackhead removal thingy by tweezerman: cry.gif my last resort for blackheads. DIE DIE DIE!!!

- visit health food store to see their selection of skincare products

- check out queen helene mint julep mask, does anyone where it's sold in canada?

Well, at least the health food stores in the US carry natural skin/haircare products...I bet it's the same in Canada but I really don't know for sure.

That Queen Helene mask is good! I had a hard time finding it locally myself, but I finally found it on a buy one/get one free special at Walgreen's. Before I started my current regimen, I used that mask every day and it was the only thing that helped to any significant degree. I don't think you should use it everyday though, it'll dry out your skin too much. The best thing about it is, if you have a big zit that you want to get rid of fast, you can put a big dab of it on there and leave it on overnight. It really helps smile.gif !

Good luck!!

May 12, 2005

argh, clinique's deep cleansing mask doesn't work for shit on blackheads! WILL RETURN!!! evil.gif will see how qh mint julep mask work as a subsitute, that is, if i can find where it's sold. lol.

hmm, no more active pimples anywhere. one gigantic red mark on left cheek. doubt.gif also, will sleep before midnight tonight as good sleep is essential. biggrin.gif figured that face oozes less oil if i sleep earlier. i think it's because lotus oil is photosensitive. i dab it on for hours before going to bed, therefore exposing it to light, making it less effective for oil-control.

May 19, 2005

oh no oh no, i think i'm bound to breakout tomorrow. i did a lot of no-no's today. damnit.

- ate a big bag of potato chips, 255g

- consumed spicy noodles for dinner

- was too lazy to remove makeup when i came home

DAMNIT! absolutely no self control. okok, will stop now before i really jinx myself into it.

right. though was satisfied with skin when i woke up this morning. just a few red marks. i went out and bought the white/blackhead removal thing (cnd$14) today. will see how it works after shower tomorrow.

haha, will keep clinique's mask as i found it alright after all. it's a little drying so i will have to buy a hydration mask sooner or later.

Future buying plans:

- hydration mask: biotherm hydra-detox mask

- QHMJ mask: still on the lookout

May 22, 2005

yep, i was right. had a mini breakout yesterday. just another proof that at least my acne is related to my lifestyle, ie. nutrition. but damnit, i never learn!!! ok, will STAY AWAY from the following from now on:

- junk food: potato chips, nasty mcdo things, instant noodles, etc. will give current stock of junk food to dad. lol.gif

- spicy food

- oily food: will reduce amount of oil used in cooking

well, this mini breakout consists of about 6 tiny pimples on the forehead. the funny thing is they somewhat form a line, and looks like the big dipper. eusa_eh.gifwacko.gifeusa_wall.gif

should go down within the next 2-3 days.

also tried out the blackhead loop. mygosh, it hurts like hell! i havta press down sooooo hard to get the the sebum stick out. OUCH!! haha, should be ok for the occasional blackheads, but definitely will not work for me as my entire nose is filled with blackheads! sad.gif

so this is the revised blackhead regimen, i figure i should get at least 70% out:

- use clinique emergency deep cleansing mask to remove the easy blackheads

- afterwards use tweezerman blackhead removal loop (cnd$14) to squeeze out the stubborn ones

- disinfect with tea tree oil