Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wswh

Birth Controls

This really sucks. I was on ortho-tri-cyclin-low for 3 years and during that time, I have left over scars but I was almost beginning to forget just how much I had suffered when I was a teenager. I am now 24 and it's started again with the full load of emotional shit as well. I don't want to go back on hormones, and I'm really trying to find the best topical treatment, but my back is getting worse and worse. My face and chest are bearable, but my back is some serious shit (whiteheads, cysts, scars, etc). I wish I would have known of forums like this one before. I'm thinking of going to a derm. I've just started trying Proactiv 2.5% bp lotion, but it's not done anything in 3 weeks.

Question for those with moderate to severe bacne: did you find Dan's Regime (2.5% bp gel + alpha h lotion) was really helpful? I'm thinking of going on it even though I'm a bit hesitant still since bp hasn't really worked.

I'd appreciate suggestions. This is just bullshit. I can't believe there is no cure for this shit sad.gif

I know how you feel--except that birth control is what screwed my skin up! I was on Yasmin for years, with no problems. Then I went on Seasonale, and broke out REAL bad, and now have awful red marks. By the time I realized it was the Seasonal that was causing my breakouts, the damage was already done. I'm 25, and I think adult acne is far worse. I started breaking out on my chest last month, and that has never happened to me before. My derm prescribed Brevoxyl 8% creamy wash for my chest. I just picked it up today, so I will let you know how it works.(HUGS)

im on demulen 50, works pretty darn well, but my dr wants to drop the progesterone and only put me on estrogen for a few months... i have pcos.

Last night I felt so desperate that I almost thought of going back on the pill. But I think I'll wait it out and see for a little longer...

Hang in there.

I was on Ortho on and off for several years. The hormones were killing me. I was lightheaded, nauseated, no sex drive, moody, etc. I thought all bc pills were the same and resisted getting back on it. My dermatologist suggested Yasmin. I heard a lot of good things about it. It contains a form of spirolactone.

Eventually what worked for me was a combination of Yasmin and Minocycline. I was on Minocycline for about 1 1/2 months before I could not handle the side effects anymore. I'm still taking Yasmine. It is wonderful. There are no side effects at all. It even acts as a diurectic. The only problem is remembering to take it everyday. Right now my problem is the pigmented scars. They are not really acne scars so I'm not sure laser will work. I'm currently using glycolic acid peel to help withthe hyperpigmentation. I am also using Zoderm cleanser and differin cream to maintain the results.

This really sucks. I was on ortho-tri-cyclin-low for 3 years and during that time, I have left over scars but I was almost beginning to forget just how much I had suffered when I was a teenager. I am now 24 and it's started again with the full load of emotional shit as well. I don't want to go back on hormones, and I'm really trying to find the best topical treatment, but my back is getting worse and worse. My face and chest are bearable, but my back is some serious shit (whiteheads, cysts, scars, etc). I wish I would have known of forums like this one before. I'm thinking of going to a derm. I've just started trying Proactiv 2.5% bp lotion, but it's not done anything in 3 weeks.

Question for those with moderate to severe bacne: did you find Dan's Regime (2.5% bp gel + alpha h lotion) was really helpful? I'm thinking of going on it even though I'm a bit hesitant still since bp hasn't really worked.

I'd appreciate suggestions. This is just bullshit. I can't believe there is no cure for this shit sad.gif

If you back is really as bad as you intimate, then you need to be on oral antibiotics. These are the only things that will make an impact in a reasonably short period of time. In a case like this, using a topical BP is like shooting BB's at a bear. You just make it angry....

Getting back of BCP's might help again, but will take months to make an appreciable difference. You should try to get started on a long-term treatment regimen of real acne meds, to include of course the oral abx's....

If you're having other hormonal problems other than acne, a bcp might be ur best choice tho. For me I was having emotional problems, and a load of physical problems. I need the extra estrogen or i feel like shit. If it's just acne then i an antiobiotic like mino. would be better.