Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LMG

For the guys that work out

I am going to begin lifting again and have a few questions. A few months back I was lifting and taking some cheap-o protein and my face was semi clear. After I finished the jug I bought optimum nutrion whey and after a week of taking it I broke out. Thing is a lot of things were going on during this time. I was eating junk foor, drinking alcohol, smoking etc. While I was drinking the cheap-o brand I was not. I just want to know if anyone has tried this protein and what effect did it have on you if any. I plan drinking it only after I workout and drinking 2 scoops which is about 42-48 grams of protein. Thanks for any info

As far as I know, protein is good for you. But I also read that whey protein is not the best source. I'm using a protein supplement, but it doesn't contain any sugars, or whey. I take at least 60 grams a day, and I don't have any problems. Maybe it's the junk food doing it for you. I suggest eating fresh veggies and chicken instead of that crap.

The shitty thing about whey protein is you usually have to take it with milk (dairy = bad), or soy milk (soy milk = bad)... So, you can try what I'm doing. I lift, and I take creatine before and after my workout, and then I just eat a lot of protein throughout the day. I'll have at least 4 eggs in my breakfast, a can of tuna in the afternoon, and then some chicken or fish at night. It's not as much as what you'd get if you were chugging shakes, but it's still there.

I haven't heard of people having problems with certain brands of whey, just whey itself. I had bad expierences with whey, but it could have been the milk I drank it with at the same tim. I reccomend drinking it with water or soy milk, if you still have problems after that, might have to quit using it.

i drink 4 protien shakes a day with milk(6 a day if im not hungry for food). I get around 250-300 grams a day. You need protien to grow.

and whey protien is really cheap if you know where to get it. I buy mine @ 44lbs for 137.00 canadian. its probably my cheapest protien source.

Whey protein:

1. Milk derived

2. Normally contains some form of sugar or sugar-alcohol

If you can't handle dairy or sugar it will make you break out.

You don't need them anyway, they are expensive as hell... two cans of tuna are normally about $1.00 and you get a little over 60g of protein.

Tuna is a great source of protein, and much cheaper than whey.  Did you ever think of how much mercury you're putting into your body though?

Guest Stu :-)
I usually eat about 2 cans a day, but I always wonder if I am slowly poisioning myself to death.

Difficult one. Id ask, what is your motivation to lift weights in the first place?

I dont think there is any other reason than vanity, is there?

Weight training isnt a necessity, its purely and simply vanity, isnt it?

...light weight training is a necessity, lifting light weights, ie not slogging ur guts out, is important. And this can be achieved simply by resistance training, can it not... press ups, sit ups, pull ups, squats?? These are what you need arent they?

Here lies the crucial difference, whilst weight training is healthy, body building isnt. Bit of a subjective statement, but u know what i mean.

Difficult one. Id ask, what is your motivation to lift weights in the first place?

...light weight training is a necessity, lifting light weights, ie not slogging ur guts out, is important. And this can be achieved simply by resistance training, can it not... press ups, sit ups, pull ups, squats?? These are what you need arent they?

Here lies the crucial difference, whilst weight training is healthy, heavy weight training isnt. Bit of a subjective statement, but u know what i mean.

acne vs link - i think it is hypocritical to say weight training is purely vanity. You must be vain yourself because you are on an acne site - you presumably want to get rid of acne and improve your appearance? Everyone tries to look their best, whats wrong with that.

Well I'm going to college to study police foundations and criminology, so I'm obviously going to be a cop when I graduate. Therefore, I exercise and weight train regularly so I'll be able to actually defend myself in the future. That's not vain.

Well I'm going to college to study police foundations and criminology, so I'm obviously going to be a cop when I graduate. Therefore, I exercise and weight train regularly so I'll be able to actually defend myself in the future. That's not vain.

Yeah it is... you dont need to body build to defend yourself. Body building doesnt improve your ability to self defend my friend. As a karate coach i can tell you that weight lifters are big poofs!!

Body building is pure vanity... full stop. Wanting to cure your acne is different, its a disease, a departure from good health, you wouldnt call someone trying to fight off brain cancer vain would you!!

Here lies the crucial difference, whilst weight training is healthy, heavy weight training isnt. Bit of a subjective statement, but u know what i mean.

Bodybuilding is not just vanity, it's useful to have muscle. I need it for my many sports, rock climbing, kayaking, etc... Bodybuilding is also the healthiest way to gain weight. Would you rather have 50lbs of muscle or fat? Many who bodybuild do so because if not they are 6' and 130lbs, not very healthy. Many bodybuild not to gain mass but to build strength, which, unless you aren'tactive in the least, is useful. I'm not going into a big thing with you because your post was hypocritical. The vast majority of peoples acne is not related to bad health, taking peels to get rid of scars is complete vanity, using all these fancy moisturizers, etc..

Also, yes, a trained fighter against an untrained one will be at an advantage; however if you put a big bulky ex-footbal player against some skinny beanpole, I'd bet my life savings on the big guy.

Bodybuilding is not just vanity, it's useful to have muscle. I need it for my many sports, rock climbing, kayaking, etc... Bodybuilding is also the healthiest way to gain weight. Would you rather have 50lbs of muscle or fat? Many who bodybuild do so because if not they are 6' and 130lbs, not very healthy. Many bodybuild not to gain mass but to build strength, which, unless you aren'tactive in the least, is useful. I'm not going into a big thing with you because your post was hypocritical. The vast majority of peoples acne is not related to bad health, taking peels to get rid of scars is complete vanity, using all these fancy moisturizers, etc..

Also, yes, a trained fighter against an untrained one will be at an advantage; however if you put a big bulky ex-footbal player against some skinny beanpole, I'd bet my life savings on the big guy.

Are you talking about bodybuilding as in professional bodybuilding? I'm referring to bodybuilding as weight training. Squats, bench, etc... anything to get my weight up with as little fat as possible and to increase my strength. Yes, bodybuilding where you oil yourself up and starve yourself for that 7% body fat and obsess over the minute balance in your muscle groups is vanity but 99% of guys here don't do that and I think you know that. Besides, to get that large and ripped it would take training and diet that would be 100x more strict than the most restrictive acne diet (And you would have to take drugs).

You said first that bodybuilding is vanity, when it was clear that the vast majority aren't hardcore bodybuilders going into competition(And most humans can't get that big even with drugs anyway). I call resistance training bodybuilding becasue it's exactly what your doing, just at a lower level than the pros. Kind of like running for sport vs. health. Resistance training is how you accomplish bodybuilding.

I think black is right, in that bodybuilding is a very narrow portion of what the weight training scene is like. And again, you can split those people who want to look muscular and esthetic from those who want to bulge to meet the size criteria of todays monsters on the stage.

I'm just a young guy, but my impression of the old school crowd was that they called the former group mentioned above, "physical culturists". They emphasize proportion over massive size, have outlined mid-sections from well-developed diets, believe in getting lots of good sleep as opposed to being out all night, as well as having a life outside the gym, and most importantly, doing it all drug-free, working with the genes you were given. As you might imagine, this creates a good overall balance in life, one that does the mind and body well cool.gif

As for acne, my problem is that I have acne on both my back and chest. It is pretty disappointing, and I wonder if it is mostly due to sweating and having clothes on those parts for the most of the day. Someone mentioned in this thread already that milk = bad for acne, which I am not very sure of at this time. For me, I think orange juice was also bad for me, but I love soy milk because I drink a homemade protein-based shake every morning. I get over 800 calories from it, so it is definitely a staple for me nutritionally. What are your experiences say about milk?

why do people go hiking, play football, jog , play tennis , dress to impress, drive those stupid lowered hondas, do thier hair, wear make-up.

your post is gay

sounds like your a bit bitter about something related to bodybuilding