Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~*T*~

neo 17, may I ask you.......

You are always on here bitching about accutane. Why is it that you never have anything good to say?

We all come here looking for advice and support from one another. And all you have have done, (from what I've seen) is try to scare people and say nasty things about accutane. Which is, to alot of us, our last chance at happiness. Living with acne is a very hard and upsetting thing to live with.

If you feel it's absolutely nessecary to act like this, why don't you go do it somewhere else. You know, if you have nothing good to say, don't say nothing!

It's poeple like you that put the idea of depression into peoples heads, causing them to be paraniod about it, that leads to the onset of depression. If you are against accutane that much, DON'T TAKE IT!! And leave it at that.

Thank You!

I'm not neo, but - because someone has got to be the voice of reason around here? Because way too many posters here give irresponsible advice to each other? Because too many people on this forum pretend that Accutane is no more serious than an OTC pain med, that serious side effects don't really happen, that people should lie to their derms to get Accutane or stay on it, or should order it from shifty online pharmacies and ignore the blood work that's needed to ensure their livers don't shut down?

In addition to the minor side effects that most people experience (dry skin and mucous membranes, chapped lips, dry nose/nosebleeds, acne flare ups, fatigue, deep bone aches), there are serious side effects directly linked to Accutane. This includes serious birth defects, mental health problems, serious brain problems, abdominal problems, bone and muscle problems, hearing problems, vision problems, lipid problems (liver), allergic reactions, and others. Patients need to be aware of the possibility of these symptoms, be vigilant for any signs of them, and report them immediately if they occur. The attitude around here is that we should just pretend that these side effects don't really happen because you got lucky and they did not happen to you when you were on it.

You think people are so suggestible that merely mentioning a link to depression can cause it in them? I recall being depressed on Accutane, and while i would not go so far as to say that it was caused by Accutane, it is certainly something that people taking it (and their families) should be aware of. If you have pre-existing depression (and i'd bet good money that most Accutane candidates/patients do - severe acne kills the self-esteem with every glance in the mirror), the physical misery of Accutane can make it seem that much worse. Aches and pains, extreme dryness, fatigue, insomnia - the side effects can increase depression even if Accutane doesn't directly cause depression (and as i said, i'm not convinced that it does).

There is a reason that Accutane is one of the most closely controlled non-narcotic drugs on the market - it's dangerous in more ways than one. The drug companies don't want to have these extreme restrictions on it, they have to in order to keep it on the market.

Accutane is like a religion to some of the posters here, no one can mention the bad possibilities that are inherent in the treatment or they are raining on your parade, putting down your idol. Accutane can be very beneficial, but NO ONE should take it without being fully aware of the possible (and likely) consequences of the treatment.

I was, in no way saying that giving out bad advice as to not tell your derm about your side effects was a good thing. Nor was i saying that accutane is not a serious drug. And as a matter of fact. I posted many times trying to advise people AGAINST ordering the drug online. Suggesting that is it only safe while being monitored by a doctor.

Accutane is not my Idol, and it is not a religion to me either. I think that accutane saves alot of people from depression, rather than putting people into depression.

Like elements said, neo 17 is just hateful towards it because his experience on it wasn't exactly enjoyable. But no ones is. And we are all aware of these uncomfortable side effects before we even start.

If a person who is depressed about acne, starts taking accutane, knowing full and well that they will most definately look worse before they look better, they probably won't be pushed into further depression. Unless, they are constantly being told that they will get depressed. HHhhhmmmmm, this make any sense to you?

I was starting to get really depressed before taking accutane, like crying about 2x a day. And not leaving my house. Grouchy all the time. And since I have started accutane, I have been nothing but happier since. Even through my initial breakout. Based purely on the fact that I know I am finally doing something about my acne that will help, and that in the end I will be happy with my decision to go on it.

Maybe that is the kkind of encouragement we should be giving eachother. Rather than you kind.

The only people who come here and are so negative are people who are spiteful, that it's working for us, and it wasn't for them. You know what, NOT OUR FAULT!

i feel ya !!PaTiEnCe!!. Accutane is religion to me as well wink.gif although the effect is starting to get weak after almost a year off it.

But on the same lines, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. As long as they state facts and not just burp out random stuff.

CheeRS!

] x [

I was, in no way saying that giving out bad advice as to not tell your derm about your side effects was a good thing. Nor was i saying that accutane is not a serious drug. And as a matter of fact. I posted many times trying to advise people AGAINST ordering the drug online. Suggesting that is it only safe while being monitored by a doctor.

I read the whole information leaflet and the information book too. I understand everything that I read. I never said that there are no side effects or that there is a consiparcy. I said that they focus, and scare the hell out of people about depression and suicide.

I did not say that is it doesn't happen to me, it won't to anyone.I am using my self as an example. Like you do, and like neo.

Telling someone they are depressed, and making it happen is so far from what I said too. I mean that you start a drug and there are people everywhere going "you're gonna get depressed! better not commit suicide! It happens to alot of people. Could happen to you." then That would cause a little paranioa to set in. Wouldn't it. And if you sit there any analyse everything you say, every mood, every feeling, you just might drive your self to it. It can happen.

Please stop turning everything I write into something that is not what I mean.

I didn't say that you can't come here and say anything bad about accutane. Geez, we all have something negative to say about it. We hate dry skin, dry eyes, sore joints, rashes, initial breakouts, ect......

It's just that we are not sitting here hating, that's all.

And as far as giving out bad advice. What about telling people to get off accutane right away because of dry eyes? Or things alongs those lines? That is bad advice to someone who really needs accutane, due to acne. It could be preventing them from getting a proper course of treatment, and from clearing up as soon as possible, no?

I read the whole information leaflet and the information book too. I understand everything that I read. I never said that there are no side effects or that there is a consiparcy. I said that they focus, and scare the hell out of people about depression and suicide.

I agree with you to some extent. But, on the other hand, I don't. I think the best thing to do in these cases is, agree to disagree.

We are both trying to voice our opinions, and some of them are different.

Appanrently I can not seem to write my thoughts in a way that some might understand. Which is too bad.

Accutane may be a threat to someone's health, but it could also be a near life saving drug to others. What kind of life is sitting in your house hiding?

Every one is warned of the possible side-effects of the drug. And agree to risk them by taking the drug. Therefore, they should not hate if they wind up being the small percentage that actually get the more severe side-effects. It's a risk we all take, even myself.

Either way, you want the last word, you got it.

i know what you are saying, patience, about neo17. when i posted about diarrhea i was experiencing, trying to get advice from people on the site, he wrote something to the effect of "get off it now, before you ruin your life". http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=51401 i find that neither helpful nor intelligent advice. and it thouroughly annoyed me. anyway, i have no idea what his/her problem is. maybe he/she will reply to this?

neo17 was/is having a hard time. I think he needs understanding and a place to let it all out. This is therapy for some people, a place to say things they can't otherwise say. He is probably frightened as well. Sometimes, and I am included here, we get very emotional in our rants because many of us have passionate personalities. I am passionate about diet and acne. I made a slip up recently on a post and got a big time lecture. I can tell you now, that no one here needs a lecture.

Most posts I have read on acne.org regarding accutane are more often than not "sugar coated". I think it is good to have both sides, even if neo17 might have been a little more dramatic than some like.

Alright.. First of all- I am not anti-accutane. I haven't taken it, and I fear it- but I'm definately not against it by any means. I would take it if offered.

With that being said...I find the argument kind of petty. This is a place to go for support and advice. Just because someone had negetive side effects from a medication- does not mean they are "hating" because it happened to them. I feel it's more of an informant type gesture.

If I took a birth control pill and it made me very sick every day, and gave me migraine headaches- I'm gonna tell people that. It doesn't mean I hate Levora. It means I happened to have a bad experience- and here is my story. Just like "I am 100% clear from accutane" was a good experience, and here is their story.

I also believe, however, that the way people say things impacts the way people take it. Lexi is a personal favorite poster of mine- and I would never say anything to go against her. Ever. And she was annoyed by Neo's comment. I'm sure Neo didn't mean to annoy you with his comment, but at the same time- He said it very wrong. It was like an alarmist comment- and that is not right. He could have put it in a different tone/different words. "I would stop taking it and call the doctor, just to see" ....That's a little less abrasive to people. I would be annoyed as well- because why scare someone? What does that do?

Unfortunately, you can't please everybody- you never will- so I'm sure people will agree or disagree with my feelings as well. But cmon you guys- Don't create hostility..there's enough in the world. People are allowed to express their opinions openly... I think they just need some lessons in tact while doing-so.

Basically- Everyone here is allowed to have an opinion. That's what keeps the forums going. With Accutane- There will be good and bad stories. Please accept both, and learn from both. I don't think anyone here is against you because they had a bad experience with accutane. That's just silly. Remember Max? We all hated Max.... But it wasn't so much what he was saying- but the persistant and obnoxious way he did it. Over and Over, negetive,negetive. So- basically, for people who feel accutane is leaning towards "bad"... you are not wrong, just different than the majority. Learn to express your thoughts in a helpful way, rather than hostile way.. like you are trying to school someone on it. And people who love accutane, who live in the rainbow-whatever-you-called it side... Continue to be happy with your results, and don't worry about the negetive comments- obviously you are past that, and are fine- so why bother arguing?

You are always on here bitching about accutane. Why is it that you never have anything good to say?

We all come here looking for advice and support from one another. And all you have have done, (from what I've seen) is try to scare people and say nasty things about accutane. Which is, to alot of us, our last chance at happiness. Living with acne is a very hard and upsetting thing to live with.

If you feel it's absolutely nessecary to act like this, why don't you go do it somewhere else. You know, if you have nothing good to say, don't say nothing!

It's poeple like you that put the idea of depression into peoples heads, causing them to be paraniod about it, that leads to the onset of depression. If you are against accutane that much, DON'T TAKE IT!! And leave it at that.

Thank You!

I beleive accutane has given me severe tinnitus (perminant ringing in the ears).

I would take back all the spots i have ever had in my lifetime in one go right now to get rid of this, but it is uncurable.

Of course, accutane may not be the culprit, but i cant think of any other factors in my life that would be at the time.

the tinnitus is set to give me a life of pain, unless it somehow goes away, we will see.

I wouldnt recommend accutane unless absolutely desperate

A whole topic for me? I'm honored.

I should be scaring people. You people (mostly) don't seem to have a damn clue even what accutane is or can do to you. It seems you want it 'sugarcoated', but can a drug which is used to treat cancer even be sugarcoated? When I see people posting with serious concerns, I tell them to get off the thing. Why? Because if you're having doubts, IT ISN'T FOR YOU.

And most of you shouldn't even been on it...I saw some guy with like 2 or 3 spots and he was on accutane...it's just insanity.

I think the thing is that you don't want to be forced to hear the truth.

For example, that person with the diahhera thing - getting immediately off was the LOGICAL OPTION. That's one of the things where it says in the pamphlet to stop taking it immediately. I'd read it could be linked to cancer.

In the end, nothing I say matters, as you won't listen to reason anyway. And all for some pimples...no, you can't justify it, unless you truly have severe acne, scarring, or have tried EVERYTHING else and are old enough. I've made this clear in my posts.

Minny,

A cheer from a fellow mom to another (with apologies to Patience and Neo for hijacking the thread). We seem to have found similar ways of dealing with our kids' acne: diet, blue light (plus B5 in our case.)

I've been visiting these boards on and off since the end of January when our dermatologist suggested Accutane to my 17-year-old daughter. She'd been on antibiotics for months & doing well until the doctor added first Differin and then Retin-A to the regimen, and her skin erupted in cysts all over her T-zone. Given the topical retinoid/cyst eruption connection, I wanted to do a bit of research before I let her go on Accutane as the doc suggested. I mean, if the reaction to topical retinoids was so awful, how could/would the oral version act differently?

Long story short, daughter stopped taking antibiotics, started taking B5 (7.5 grams), changed her diet to include MUCH more veggies and fruit and cut down on sugar, PLUS we bought the best/most powerful blue/red light I could find. I think you found a dermatologist who gave Clearlight treatment? My daughter's acne is pretty much under control now (ONE threatened PMS cyst on prom night Saturday that we killed with ice and aspirin). I'm still hanging in here/doing research on the internet to see if I could find a way to get rid of the remaining comedones/keep them from coming back.

I don't doubt Accutane has been a godsend to millions who have tried everything else under the sun to get their acne under control. Then again, there are obviously many people who were not helped by Accutane. I firmly believe there is no one-size-fits-all acne treatment. It takes a huge amount of detective work and even more patience to find something that works for a particular individual.

The point of this message (apart from cheering detective moms :-) is that there IS hope even for those that can't/won't use Accutane/weren't helped by it. Patience--I firmly believe Accutane ISN'T your last hope. I'm really happy it is working for you but those who can't take the side effects shouldn't despair.

Minny,

A cheer from a fellow mom to another (with apologies to Patience and Neo for hijacking the thread).  We seem to have found similar ways of dealing with our kids' acne: diet, blue light (plus B5 in our case.) 

I've been visiting these boards on and off since the end of January when our dermatologist suggested Accutane to my 17-year-old daughter. She'd been on antibiotics for months & doing well until the doctor added first Differin and then Retin-A to the regimen, and her skin erupted in cysts all over her T-zone. Given the topical retinoid/cyst eruption connection, I wanted to do a bit of research before I let her go on Accutane as the doc suggested. I mean, if the reaction to topical retinoids was so awful, how could/would the oral version act differently?

Long story short, daughter stopped taking antibiotics, changed her diet to include  MUCH more veggies and fruit and cut down on sugar PLUS we bought the best/most powerful  blue/red light I could find. I think you found a dermatologist who gave Clearlight treatment?  My daughter's acne is pretty much under control now (ONE threatened PMS cyst on prom night Saturday that we killed with ice and aspirin). I'm still hanging in here/doing research on the internet to see if I could find a way to get rid of the remaining comedones/keep them from coming back.

I don't doubt Accutane has been a godsend to millions who have tried everything else under the sun to get their acne under control. Then again, there are obviously many people who were not helped by Accutane. I firmly believe there is no one-size-fits-all acne treatment.  It takes a huge amount of detective work and even more patience to find something that works for a particular individual. 

The point of this message (apart from cheering detective moms :-) is that there IS hope even for those that can't/won't use Accutane/weren't helped by it.  Patience--I firmly believe Accutane ISN'T your last hope.  I'm really happy it is working for you but those who can't take the side effects shouldn't despair.

Thank You!

Here's the link to the lamp manufacturer's site.

http://www.drkern.com/beautyskin.html

The lamp is sold by other internet vendors-- you might want to compare prices.

A caveat: My daughter has very, very fair skin, the kind that never tans and turned beet-red in 30 seconds in the sun while she was on tetracycline. That may well be why the lamp works on her. I actually heard about blue light from the derm as an alternative to Accutane. Her practice had investigated the powerful, dermatologist version (ClearLight) but decided it was too expensive for them for the time being. I couldn't find anyone who has ClearLight where we live but happened on the internet version.

In our case, Evolution-X B5 vitamin HAS been helpful--probably because my kid was so long (almost 10 months) on antibiotics & might have been developing an actual B5 vitamin deficiency. It's hard to become B5 deficient: the way they induce B5 deficiency in labs is to feed rats antibiotics long term...

(You can't tell that I like solving puzzles, can you now? :-))

Its kinda true though. Thi site makes you love accutane. When I came here I was totally against it because I thought it gave me Inflamed bowel syndrome, but it turned out I was wrong. But before I even knew that this site changed my mind about accuatne.

Guest Craigems

I Disagree with some of these statements. And also agree with some.

1) People go on accutane, and "I SEE THEY ONLY HAVE 1-3 SPOTS ON THEIR FACE" ... okay let me point out i'm on accutane and i have 0 spots on my face. Why? accutane worked for me.

-Otherside to opinion = some people have persistant acne, and have had it for years with no cure to topical treatments therefore go on tane to get rid of the annoyance of it once and for all.

YOU CANNOT PERSONALLY JUDGE PEOPLE WHO GO ON TANE. We dont know their history with acne, so we cannot make opinionated assumptions to make an evaluation about the overall drug.

2) Blue light / UV light treatments. I did it! did it work? no. Guess how much i spent on the fricken treatment for 12 courses because the lady kept saying (ITS WORKING!!!) ... Almost $3500. In my mind that is NOT cool when something doesnt work. Unless your rich and can provide endless money to make sure your cured, generally isnt the case.

Blue light, has worked for milder cases of acne, but i've heard / read on these boards and elsewhere that it hasnt worked for a tonn of people.

3) There are heaps of other treatments and drugs to try before tane. Well yep thats an obvious one, thats why i'm on tane. Coz none of it worked.

4) Accutane is Sugarcoated to make it sound safe. First of all if you believe this statement then, you may as well go play with a loaded shotgun and look down the barrel "Just because i told you so". Accutane is one of the most dangerous acne medications out there, heck even one of the highest risk meds out of all the drugs.

Just a little insight quickly, Accutane has been around for 30+ years. It was actually discovered accidently, lots of studies were performed on this drug, and it was found there were a few side effects and was recommended for Severe cases only. NOW quickly, 30+ years of this drugs availability to the world, shows 30+ years MORE research on live cases. It effects everyone differently, and most of the cases are <1% causes, but for legality reasons have to be noted for consumers. What other acne drug has had 30+ years research on it.... not many. Who know Benzol Peroxide could be related to birth defects .. who knows.

Accutane for me was of curiosity, and i researched the drug very very hard. Over the internet , in books etc. I mean common i was on the verge of solitary confinment for the rest of my life, i needed something. I was on these boards and realised i was not alone, pretty much EVERYONE ON THE DRUG HAS RESEARCHED IT TO SOME DEGREE. People are told the risks about the drug, by their derms, parents, friends, and above all their own curiosity. Now with these boards people telling Accutane patients, the drug is totally not safe, i know its straight to the point but the phrase "no shit shirlock" comes to mind. YES some people are not on tane, and do want to know about the drug, and we do tell them the obvious its dangerous but well 30+ years on the market means there has to be a reason for it to still be around besides the fact it actually works for 98% of patients.

Dont get me wrong, i do think the drug is dangerous. But only to some degree, Most patients around the world are monitored carefully, and pretty much all the side effects stop straight after stopping, its rare for minor problems like dry skin and dry eyes to keep reoccuring.

This website does make you like accutane, because well ... whats not to like its pretty much an ACNE CURE! / long term remission. What are u kidding me... ur on an Acne website and your telling me this isnt a good thing? Okay yes i was a severe case but thats only after about 7 years of battling with moderate acne, just when it exploded onto me and my GP said to my dad who was totally against tane, IF YOU DONT PUT HIM ON ACCUTANE I'M GOING TO ADOPT YOUR SON, AND PUT HIM ON THE DRUG, thats how serious he was.

I believe all the people on these boards are allowed to view their side of the argument. But it does irritate me, that some people DONT take into consideration some things and jump to media contributed and the obvious conclusions. It doesnt matter, how much some people HATE TANE, it doesnt matter how much they LIKE IT (god knows why, its bloody annoying with the side effects). In the end when we come off the drug, its a constant battle to think "man i dont really want to come off this in the end coz my skins soo good what will happen when i come off it?"

I spent 7 years with moderate acne, and 1 year with severe. Now i have permanent scarring as a result of this. My parents were totally against this drug, all pro-everything else but tane. Now if i had taken take 1 year before my severe breakout, i could have been most scarring free (whos to say but i know i would be much less scarred). Parents are parents and want the best for their kids, totally understand mine were the same. But it does get to a point... As i said my own FAMILY GP told my dad, if you dont put him on it, he's not ur son basically. That basically was the turning point for my dad, i was then recommended to a new derm coz my old one was shit. And as soon as i went to him my face/entire chest back shoulders improved instantly, and i started to become clear. I'm on a 11 - 12 month course very low - now where i am dosage (therefore making my term longer than normal). And i am up to month 6, and i've been clear for 2 months already. So basically i thank this drug, for saving my life, no-matter how bad the symptoms, its given my life back.

Craig.

Craig, thank you!

As you said, people have different history of acne and noone has a right to judge them because they have no clue.

My acne started in 4th grade. I was the first one to get it. Everyone was making fun of me and telling me to stay home rather than show my ugly face.

Well, I am now about to go to college and still have acne. Now some bitches go around telling everyone how bad accutane is and how it damages your brain, blah blah. I don't care. My brain is already premanently damaged by acne, which led to a horrible childhood and high school life. College is a brand new beginning. I want to start it with my past and acne behind.

k craig i agree too

i have spent too fucking long with acne and i am willing to take the risks end of

Thank you guys, zero, craig, elements, and turner giirl, and lexilex. Thank you for agreeing with me. Somewhat anyway.

I was just trying to stop the hostility I swear. I find alot of the comments made were totally uncalled for. Especially, the whole diareah thing. That was something.......