Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
puma

Help With Picking

ok i officially started the regimen today and just put it on for my evening dose.

ok i have trouble keeping my hasnds away from my face like real trouble, will just touching it make it worse?, what do u guys do to stop yourselves?, is popping a anoying pimple bad?

not if you do it the right away. if its a big whitehead waiting to explode, take a sterilized needle and pierce it, then GENTLY squeeze out the stuff inside. dont mess with cysts or other angry pimples.

I have the same problem. Whenever Im on the computer I just unconciously touch my face. Touching your face supposedly makes it worse.

Anyone have tips on how to stop?

I make signs in the bathroom on notecards. saying like NO and It makes it worse. Kinda helps but all in all it's willpower.

I have heard that touching can potentially make worse...it could lead to scarring and spread the acne.... I would have to say after years of picking its a real problem for me....and its all about will power....for me I could put notes everywhere one nite and the next night just say fuck it...and tear the notes away and start picking the hell out my skin... i'v come to the point where i have to sit on my hands and/or keep my hand busy....you just have to be determined to get over the problem and find your niche

I have heard that touching can potentially make worse...it could lead to scarring and spread the acne.... I would have to say after years of picking its a real problem for me....and its all about  will power....for me I could put notes everywhere one nite and the next night just say fuck it...and tear the notes away and start picking the hell out my skin... i'v come to the point where i have to sit on my hands and/or keep my hand busy....you just have to be determined to get over the problem and find your niche

Picking is very addictive indeed. When I do it in my head, I usually am targeting one that I feel is really big and need to reduce it in size so it is not as noticeable. But that just leads to many more as you know, and sometimes bleeding. So whenever I think that one is big I goto the mirror and look at it. It is usually not that big at all and I am just being paranoid. That is at least why I tend to pick. But I am getting better.

I make signs in the bathroom on notecards. saying like NO and It makes it worse. Kinda helps but all in all it's willpower.

I was definetly a big picker (hah) until something inside me made me quit. Not to say the urge is gone, I used to run my hands along my face and pick out the imperfections, even if I wasn't near a mirror. I'd rest my face in my hands and lean against them all the time. Even pimples that were barely showing a head got popped, just out of need to see them gone.

I guess I just realized what could happen if I changed. So I started drinking 2 liters of water per day (as opposed to none), and didn't pick my face at all. I don't even touch my face unless I'm applying something from my regimen and after I've washed my hands.

It's just a mental barrier that people need to overcome.

- CaN 0

Hehe, I know it sucks. I pick at them to see if they got "smaller". Thoday in Chemistry I was VERY annoyed that I HAD to wear stupid goggles that millions of people with dirty faces probably wore. Gosh I hated it. Maybe when I wash well it wont affect it.

I pick my face right now myself but when i do it i am going after the white heads that i tend to dev. over night and over the course of the day....Is that bad...I only do it cuz i hate people looking at my face and seeing a huge white head right on my chin or nose or check ETC....ANy help here?

Nickabocker

its extremely hard to stop....I tend to look for them when Im in the mirror, then stay there and pick away.It is so addicitive people have no clue. Its so hard to stop when you know what's on your face, especially if you pop one, for me anyways, im like what the hell ill just do once more....then another...and another. Now im trying to avoid looking and examining my skin in the mirror, cuz when I do that that's when my fingers get the twitching...

Me too....

I'm always picking or I run my fingers all along my face to see if there are any new bumps. I even sometimes pick until I get an ugly scar and that takes 4-ever to go away. I know it's bad, because our hands have germs and not to mention we can spread the acne as well. I need to tie my hands behind my back.

Tip: if you have to pop a pimple, I suggest you put a HUGE amount of benzoyl peroxide IMMEDIATELY after popping it (don't spread it around) even if it is bleeding. This may be faulty reasoning, but what I think is once you pop a pimple, you open the pore so BP comes in more easily, killing the bacteria.

Sometimes, I pop a huge zit and put BP right away and the next day, it's gone. No trace of it, not even a scar. It's very satisfying.