Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone ever had a cortisone or other type of injection on cystic acne? Or know what it does/how well it works?

well they inject you right into a cyst. At first it doesn't hurt but then a derm goes farther and OMFG! Don't worry though. The results are worth anything. It goes away in 1-2 days and no scars formed!

The cortisone shots worked well for me at the beginning but they began to cause indentation in the skin with hypopigmentation. It looks really bad but your cysts will 9 times out of 10 dissappear. The indentation can take up to a month to plump back up, according to your skin cycle. It can be good and bad for you.

Thanks so much for all of the info! I am going to see if I can get an emergency appointment in the next few days. I have 3-4 cysts only on my chin and the rest of my face is pretty much clear. I've not had spots this bad before though, so perhaps once doing cortisone won't leave too bad of marks?

btw.. does anyone have a similar problem with acne? Mostly small pustules on the chin and above the mouth. I have them most of the time, but it gets really bad once a month. This is the first time I've had spots that have lasted for 2-3 weeks. If so, what is your routine and what have you found works best?

Thanks again!

I have the same acne cycle as you do. It is hell. Cysts constantly coming and going, always in the chin area. I can go months without any, then a month with one a week. The horror stories the other members were sharing, were really the very worst that can possibly happen from the cortisone shots. It's called atrophy, and it VERY RARELY occurs when the dermatologist injects the cyst. The atrophy reverses itself anyway, and it looks fine in a few days or weeks. Personally, I have never experienced negative results from cortisone injections, and, unfortunately, I have recieved a countless number of them over the years. It would be futile to share my regimen, it doesn't work. I have never tried accutane, but I might soon.