Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone!!!

i am now one month in and so wanted to post my progress, yes progress, so far.

I am loving Roaccutane. I was so nervous before starting and totally prepared myself for the worst - flaky skin, peeling lips, and of course a hiuge breakout.

I really hope I am not jinxing myself by posting this but YAY!!! I am happy to say that so far my experience has been totaly positive. I started the first few weeks taking Bactrim as well and only 20mg a day. I noticed my skin/lips drying a bit straight away and I had a couple of days that I felt like my eyes were the Sahara desert. I have just increased the moisture levels with Cetaphil moisturizer , paw Paw ointment for my lips and Refresh liquigel for my eyes, and so far this regimen has managed it quite well. I was concerned that my eyes would continue to dry to much and it may be permanent. I have an eye condition that causes dry eyes anyway andI may need a corneal transplant one day so was worried that this would impact on that. My doctor is investigating that but I don't have much of a problem with that at the moment anyway so I am not stopping on account of a maybe at this stage. As far as a breakout, I have had nothing but the odd flaky type little bump. I still have red marks but they are covered really well with makeup. I went off bactrim last weekend and upped to 40mg and thought that would bring it on but so far, nothing but a bit more drynes. the upside of the dryness too is that I cn now put makeup on and it doesn't slide off by lunchtime!!!!

I'm not sure if all the negative things are yet to come but so far I just couldn't be happier and am going to keep a positive outlook and hopefully this will see me through. It's hars to believe that one month is already gone.

My friend even commented on how good I am looking the other dy which boosted my confidence alot. It is such a great feeling to get to that confidence back, so anyone that is feeling disheartened on their Roaccutane journey, I am not meaning to brag, I just want you to know that it is worth going ahead with it because the confidence boost you get from finally achieving clear skin has got to be worth it all. I had a huge breakout from Differin two months before starting Roaccutane so I know where those that are breaking out are at and it's not nice at all.

Good luck everyone!!

Lucky girl-

Well doesn't your name just say it all??? I'm SO happy to hear that things are going so well for you. I have those same feelings (haven't started accutane yet)..but I do know that I need it. I'm just scared.

I hope you continue to see great progress. That;s so awesome, by the way- The whole make up thing. TOday, i came home from work and was mortified. My make up looks AWFUL...im SO damn oily and gross.. And everything I spent all morning covering- is showing anyway...cuz my oil... So yeah, its a vicious, ugly cycle and I can't wait til its over.

Is your skin hard to apply make up to being its dry?? What are you using?

thanks Frankie

I know where you are at. Aren't you starting soon? Did you get your dermo to prescribe it at last?

For the first week I didn't feel dry enough to use any moisturizer so didn't but as the drynes really crept in and I noticed some flakiness during the day (like my makeup flaking off) I started to use Cetaphil moisturizer at night (a bit heavy for day time use but amazing stuff). during the day I use EGO daily Face tinted 30+ sunscreen. it is really moisturising but doesn't clog pores. I don't know if it is available in the US though as I am in Australia. I also use QV Wash (again I don't know if it is the US) which I just absolutely LOVE. I use Eryacne gell on any little bumps that start to appear and I take Vitamin C, B and E. I also drink LOTS of water (about 4 L). I notice an increase in dryness if I don't maintain that high water consumption.

Oh the other thing that I have noticed is that my skin stings when I am drying it if I rub it. I can only pat it. Also, I seem to be cutting my fingers etc easily and they take longer to heal???????

I use Revlon New Complexion foundation and have for years and revlon Colorstay concealer and a little Maybelline powder to set it. I am dry but not flaky so it works well.

Good luck and I know it is scary but once the plunge is taken you won't look back and it is true, you just know that you are on your way to clear skin so you feel better about anything that happens. Though I haven't broken out yet, I have really worked at preparing myself mentally if that is to happen and I think the only way is just to tell yourself that it won't last forever, it will get better this time.

Lucky- Thanks for all the product rec's! I'm going to look into seeing if they are available in the US. Cetaphil, however, just doesn't work with my skin. I have a pretty good moisturizer, but I'm always looking for something less greasy. (I am on Retin-A Micro, so my skin is dry in the morning without moisturizer, but then gets super greasy in the middle of the day..it sucks!)

Yeah, I actually go back to the derm the 15th. (Unless I can get a different appt.) and I'm gonna ask what my next step is. I just am tired of this, ya know? You get to that point, where you just feel like... Done with it. You just want whatever will work.

I'm really hopign you skip over the initial. It seems for most that it happens within the first 3 weeks.. So let's pray you got over that hump. I even got my Retin-A Micro breakout at 3 weeks- and let me tell you, WHOA! Really, really bad. So in a way, I am also mentally prepared for an accutane breakout...even though it will severely suck if it happens.

And you are totally right... Even if you get a bad breakout, it's basically- probably going to be the last breakout you get..so it's a going-away party for your skin. lol.. I just hope I find something that works. I can't wait to be able to apply make up and have it last mroe than 3 hours!!

Keep me updated, and I wish you the absolute best!

No worries I will keep the updates going.

Frankie, Cetaphil moisturiser definitely wouldn't have siuted my skin before Roaccutane so maybe wait and if you go on it, then try it again. I didn't like the Cetaphil cleanser as I like cleansers that lather. It didn't sem to remove makeup properly.

I hope you get put on the right track next visit. I now think that I was scared unnecessarily so just take the plunge if he lets you and we are always here for support along the way which is great!

Take care and good luck

Hey guys I have been on accutane for about two and a half weeks and so far Its great because of the lack of oiliness and makeup lasting all day, and most of my face is clear thank God. I am just worried about my dry eyes, one is getting better, the other is burning and KILLING me!! I will have to get my eyes checked out soon!!! Does anyone have crusting around their eyes in the morning after waking up?? Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, just an updat on my update. Went to the derm yesterday and she said she is happy with how things are progressing. She felt my skin and said she can't feel anything underlying. She wouldn't expect that I would get a breakout now if haven't already got one and that if things keep going this ell that I may be albe to come off treatment early as, though there is that formula for dosage according to weight, they take into account other factors such as how clear you are and for how long etc.

She is not upping my dose as my eyes are wuite uncomfortably sry at present and suggests waiting another month and if they don't settle dwn , to actually go back to 20mg a day as they were comfortable on that dosage. I am going to eye doctor next week but all in all I am just STOKED!!!!!! I hope I am not jinxing myself!

I had a huge breakout from Differin two months before starting Roaccutane so I know where those that are breaking out are at and it's not nice at all.

Good luck everyone!!

Yep that could be true too. I don't really know exactly what worked but I know that I was having a really bad time with the breakout while on Differin and making other changes and then like clockwork, my skin cleared after 10 days on Bactrim (like my derm had said) and then continued to stay clear on Roaccutane. The derm did say that the Differin brings all underlying pimples to the surface so I guess that it is fair to say that maybe I had nothing left to break out with by the time I started Roaccutane.