Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello,

I am a MALE and my specific acne problem is very oily facial skin, especially in the area of my nose, which has rsulted in a large number of blackheads, large pores and veyr bad skin texture.

I am 25 now and when I was a teenager I used to suffer from moderate acne but this cleared away with time, now hat I am left with is very oily skin and a large blackhead problem which is very frustrating.

I have been using tazorac on my nose for the last 9 months and it has helped somewhat but the fact my skin is so very oily means they keep coming back.

As I see it I have only two methods to control the oiliness, accutane which I am very close to considering to take, and some sort of antiandrogen, though this is problematic because of the feminising effects.

If I were to take accutane, I am sure that my oiliness would be rapidly controlled while I am taking this potent drug, but my fear is that if there is an underlying hormonal problem - such as the fact that I am producing too many androgens (as sebum production si directly under androgen control) it would be a temporary fix to the problem, that would return soon after. Certainly I have some other anecdotal signs of androgen excess such as a very hairy chest/arms/legs

So in conclusion I need to know if you guys/gals feel it woud be worth consulting an endocrinologist first to have my androgen levels investigated?

Have any other males done this, considering it is something more typically done by women?

Have any other guys found they have excessive androgen levels or successfully taken antiandrogens like Spironolactone?

Hello,

I am a MALE and my specific acne problem is very oily facial skin, especially in the area of my nose, which has rsulted in a large number of blackheads, large pores and veyr bad skin texture.

I am 25 now and when I was a teenager I used to suffer from moderate acne but this cleared away with time, now hat I am left with is very oily skin and a large blackhead problem which is very frustrating.

I have been using tazorac on my nose for the last 9 months and it has helped somewhat but the fact my skin is so very oily means they keep coming back.

As I see it I have only two methods to control the oiliness, accutane which I am very close to considering to take, and some sort of antiandrogen, though this is problematic because of the feminising effects.

If I were to take accutane, I am sure that my oiliness would be rapidly controlled while I am taking this potent drug, but my fear is that if there is an underlying hormonal problem - such as the fact that I am producing too many androgens (as sebum production si directly under androgen control) it would be a temporary fix to the problem, that would return soon after. Certainly I have some other anecdotal signs of androgen excess such as a very hairy chest/arms/legs

So in conclusion I need to know if you guys/gals feel it woud be worth consulting an endocrinologist first to have my androgen levels investigated?

Have any other males done this, considering it is something more typically done by women?

Have any other guys found they have excessive androgen levels or successfully taken antiandrogens like Spironolactone?

I would suggest taking a test first before taking anything you may not need.

As I say I am wary that whike taking accutane my excessive oiliness or sebhorrea (sp?) will be controlled, but when I finish the treatment, if there is an underlying hormonal problem, the oiliness will come straight back.

This is why I am trying to find out if it would be justified to have androgen levels checked first, even though I am a male - This type of tests is far more common in females when they show signs of persistent adult acne and hirstutism!

what will testing for androgen levels do? Is their a pill u can take that will calm down ur hormones..their for=less oil?

Yes a number of guys on this forum have taken mild doses of anti-androgens under strict control in order to treat very oily skin. This is typically done after having taken accutane, and finding out your oil levels and hence acne rise to pre accutnae levels fairly quickly after finishing treatment.

ok, well umm.......if we take anti-androgens...would we not run the risk of having complications.....

possible erection problems

male breasts

voice could become higher pitch........

...start watching Steel Magnolias, eating ice cream and listening to Air Supply?

Forget that. I would rather be oily than have to worry and deal with developing feminine traits..

...be careful my friend. I think this is an area you may not want to cross over into.