Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aelurus

What's the link between acne and certain foods?

Can I clear this up once and for all? I've read so much in this forum about wheat gluten/dairy products/refined sugar contributing towards or worsening acne, but how do these 3 classes of food actually do it?

What is the fundamental biological/hormonal rationale? What is the evidence for it(what studies have been done) and how conclusive are they?) These are the questions I hope to have answered. I do watch my diet, but I like to know why I'm doing it, that's all smile.gif

"Eating refined carbohydrates and sugar leads to a surge of insulin and an insulin-like growth factor called IGF-1 in your body. This can lead to an excess of male hormones, which cause pores in the skin to secrete sebum, a greasy substance that attracts acne-promoting bacteria. Additionally, IGF-1 causes skin cells known as keratinocytes to multiply, a process that is associated with acne.

Some say acne is a disease of Western civilization because studies have found that the condition is virtually nonexistent in non-westernized societies, where refined carbohydrates and sugar are rarely eaten. For instance, in one study that looked at acne cases in islanders of Papua New Guinea and hunter-gatherers of Paraguay, no acne cases were found in either group. The findings, which are in-line with many other studies, make a strong case for the significant role of environmental factors, such as diet, in acne."

whole article here: http://www.mercola.com/2003/aug/23/acne.htm

Well, I cut all three of those things out of my diet 5 days ago, and I'm going to keep it up for at least 3 weeks (I might not be able to resist chocolate any longer than that) and see if makes a difference to my skin.