Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone!

I can't believe this day is finally here... I took my last pill yesterday, so today is my first official day NOT ON ACCUTANE! Wow.

So, the recap. As some of you know, I was prescribed 40mg on November 1st, then upped to 60mg the next month with the intention of a 4 month course. At 4 months, I wasn't where I wanted to be, and in my derm's words, my progress was "slower than average". So I got my course pushed another month, which helped, but I still arrived at my next derm appointment with 2 or 3 breakouts. He gave me enough for one more month, which is what I've just ended. So in the end, I took 6 months of Accutane.

Thank God I was given the extra months, because it wasn't until I started my 6th month that I really started to notice clearing that lasted. Between Month 2-5, things seemed to be at a stand-still...I'd get a couple breakouts a week, some very small, but some nodules and the occasional cyst. I'd kept a written journal of how many lesions were on my face on certain days, and between January and March it looked as if nothing had changed. I started to get really depressed... until I began my 6th month on Accutane. All of a sudden, I was TOTALLY clear for 2 weeks straight!! That was like a miracle for me.

So now I've gone 4 weeks with about 2-3 breakouts, only one being serious and I suspect PMS related. Otherwise, my skin is so much better than it used to be. My cheeks are finally smooth and the red marks are fading, especially now that I'm spending a lot more time in the sun. I know a tan just masks the marks, but it really looks SO much better. I have to wear so little makeup now... really only on active blemishes that need some concealer.

The side-effects I had were: dry lips, very sensitive facial skin, eczema rash on hands, dry skin on arms and legs, dry eyes, dry mouth, muscle/joint soreness, fatigue. No emotional problems whatsoever, and the most bothersome of all of these was probably the lips and the sensitivity of my face. Even though my joints were sore, that didn't keep me from running a 10k race in 1 hour!

That's all I can think of right now... if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I'm just so glad that I held on to the hope that it'd work for me eventually. What kept me going were assurances from you people here that sometimes the clearing happens AFTER we're done Tane and what not. I just hope that the months to come will only bring more improvement in my skin. But even if I continue to get a couple a month, well... that's a hell of a lot better than 5 a day, right?

I love you guys so much!! I can't thank everyone enough for their support during my Accutane journey! I'm still sticking around of course, to bore you all with my post-Tane woes rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

At the bottom I've attached two pictures - the first taken November 1/04, the very first day of Tane... and the second taken April 28/05, today while I was writing this!

wub.gif Mae

post-13138-1114711751_thumb.jpg

post-13138-1114711766_thumb.jpg

post-13138-1114711751_thumb.jpg

post-13138-1114711766_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone!

I can't believe this day is finally here... I took my last pill yesterday, so today is my first official day NOT ON ACCUTANE! Wow.

So, the recap. As some of you know, I was prescribed 40mg on November 1st, then upped to 60mg the next month with the intention of a 4 month course. At 4 months, I wasn't where I wanted to be, and in my derm's words, my progress was "slower than average". So I got my course pushed another month, which helped, but I still arrived at my next derm appointment with 2 or 3 breakouts. He gave me enough for one more month, which is what I've just ended. So in the end, I took 6 months of Accutane.

Thank God I was given the extra months, because it wasn't until I started my 6th month that I really started to notice clearing that lasted. Between Month 2-5, things seemed to be at a stand-still...I'd get a couple breakouts a week, some very small, but some nodules and the occasional cyst. I'd kept a written journal of how many lesions were on my face on certain days, and between January and March it looked as if nothing had changed. I started to get really depressed... until I began my 6th month on Accutane. All of a sudden, I was TOTALLY clear for 2 weeks straight!! That was like a miracle for me.

So now I've gone 4 weeks with about 2-3 breakouts, only one being serious and I suspect PMS related. Otherwise, my skin is so much better than it used to be. My cheeks are finally smooth and the red marks are fading, especially now that I'm spending a lot more time in the sun. I know a tan just masks the marks, but it really looks SO much better. I have to wear so little makeup now... really only on active blemishes that need some concealer.

The side-effects I had were: dry lips, very sensitive facial skin, eczema rash on hands, dry skin on arms and legs, dry eyes, dry mouth, muscle/joint soreness, fatigue. No emotional problems whatsoever, and the most bothersome of all of these was probably the lips and the sensitivity of my face. Even though my joints were sore, that didn't keep me from running a 10k race in 1 hour!

That's all I can think of right now... if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I'm just so glad that I held on to the hope that it'd work for me eventually. What kept me going were assurances from you people here that sometimes the clearing happens AFTER we're done Tane and what not. I just hope that the months to come will only bring more improvement in my skin. But even if I continue to get a couple a month, well... that's a hell of a lot better than 5 a day, right?

I love you guys so much!! I can't thank everyone enough for their support during my Accutane journey! I'm still sticking around of course, to bore you all with my post-Tane woes  rolleyes.gif  biggrin.gif

At the bottom I've attached two pictures - the first taken November 1/04, the very first day of Tane... and the second taken April 28/05, today while I was writing this!

wub.gif Mae

Thanks guys! I'm such a perfectionist, I'm still like "oh, it could have worked better" and all of this stuff... but I am grateful for the improvement I've had smile.gif

QuestionMark - when did you finish your course? how's your skin doing?

Mae

Hey Mae! COngrats on your sucess! you look beautiful! Did you start with scarring acne? if so.. how long did it take the red marks to fade?

Guest Craigems

MAE!! FINALLY DONE CONGRATS!, i hope u do stick around for me coz i got like another 6months to go on my 12month course sad.gif BUT its okay because i'm 99% clear now and have been for about 2 weeks now ... but thats coz of prednisone i think. ANYWAYS

CONGRATULATIONS and i hope u are even clearer in years to come! welldone and thankyou for the update and inspiration!

You look great!!

What an accomplishment. You did wondefully. I hope I handle everything as well as you. And that I get as good of results as you.

With clear skin, is it like having you freedom back? (in a sense, I mean)

I can't even imagine how differently my day to day life will be when I am not constently focused on my skin, makeup, and how I look.

Thanks guys! I'm such a perfectionist, I'm still like "oh, it could have worked better" and all of this stuff... but I am grateful for the improvement I've had smile.gif

QuestionMark - when did you finish your course? how's your skin doing?

Mae

Aw thanks redface.gif I did start with scarring acne, I had cysts in my upper cheeks that had been sitting there for months prior to Accutane... those actually did leave some rolling scars on my cheeks. It's hard to see in the picture I posted, but in some of the marks on my upper cheek, those are actually also scars. It sucks, but could be a LOT worse so I don't get too upset by it. As for red marks, I still have them... but they've been slowing fading as my acne cleared up. My marks were REALLY bad when I first started, makeup couldn't cover them... but I just used moisturizer 2x/day, stayed out of the sun (which wasnt difficult as it was winter here!) and let my skin heal. I'm not free of them yet, but they're definitely a lot better than they were 6 months ago. I have a bit of a tan now, which also helps mask them.

Hey! Yes, it's totally like having your freedom back!! biggrin.gif I have sooo much more confidence than I did last year... the difference is amazing. I feel a lot happier and a lot more carefree.... I honestly stressed myself out really bad last year over my acne. I feel a lot less worried about my appearance. The best thing is being able to get ready faster... no more needing an hour to get my makeup perfect and all that... I hate wearing makeup on my skin, so I'm feeling really happy about that. I'm at the point where I feel confident enough to swipe some Studio Fix over my face quickly and head out the door! I never thought I'd be the kind of girl who could *actually* get ready in 15 mins biggrin.gif

congrats hun! you look great...my skin is similar to yours..the pre shot, that is..so let's hope it works just as wonderfully for me. smile.gif i'm going on 2 weeks, now...lol. so wish me luck. did you have acne on your back, too? by the way? did the tane clear up everything there, too??

congrats! it is nice to hear that someone else has gone through the slow improvement that i am going through now. my derm was also dissapointed in my improvement along the way. i have been on tane for 10 weeks and i still don't see an drastic improvement. actually i am still in that annoying "inital breakout" BS. your before/after pics are remarkable. it is nice to see actual evidence of this stuff working.

so, congratulations again...enjoy.