Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dj1010

When to take Antibiotics?

When should i take my antibiotics? in the moring when im yawning? at night? With meals or by themselves? and when should I take my Acidophilus?

I dont know what antibiotics you're taking so I dont know if you would need to take them with meals or on their own. The majority need to be taken on an empty stomach but some are the opposite. Leave a couple of hours between popping the tablets and your acidophilus. And it doesnt matter whether you take the antibiotics at morning or night. Just take them at regular times

I just got perscribed Minocyclin, 1 tab at 50mg a day. So is that with or without meals? This is the first time i've taken it so im guessing thats why Im on such a low dose to start out.

This should all be in your drug information, but here it is if you can't find it:

Follow the directions for using this medicine provided by your doctor. SWALLOW WHOLE. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing. TAKE THIS MEDICINE with a full glass (8 oz./240 ml) of water. DO NOT LIE DOWN for 30 minutes after taking this medicine. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE with food or milk unless otherwise directed. This medicine is sometimes taken with food or milk if it upsets your stomach. However, certain medicines, food, and milk may bind with minocycline preventing its full absorption. To avoid this problem take minocycline 2-3 hours before or after taking any food, milk, or medicines containing magnesium, aluminum, or calcium. Some examples include quinapril, didanosine, vitamins/minerals, antacids, sucralfate, bismuth subsalicylate, iron, and zinc.

As for acidophilus, you should take that between doses of your antibiotic and with food. It's kind of a pain to keep track of, but you'll get the hang of it. I've been taking doxycycline for 5 weeks, and I take one pill first thing in the morning with a full glass of water. I don't eat breakfast so I don't have to worry about food then. At lunch, or in the afternoon with a snack, I take acidophilus. Then I take my second doxy pill at night, usually pretty late (far after my last meal), often right before I go to bed. I haven't paid too much attention to the caution about lying down, but it might be best to follow the directions to a tee. The worst thing that can happen, anyway, if you don't is that you won't absorb the medicine as well, so it won't be as effective.