Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Iv'e had this cyst for a few months now, only getting big and staying stationary within the last week. Few pimples come off it every now and then.

Ive been putting 10% PanOxyl BP on it over the last few nights and it doesnt do anything. Perhaps it just makes it redder.

I don't know what to do with it, please help. wink.gif

[attachmentid=1133]

post-16316-1114647446_thumb.jpg

post-16316-1114647446_thumb.jpg

The ideal solution is to get to a dermatologist's office so he/she can inject it with cortisone. With a good injection, it will shrink an dbe gone within a day or two. Get a regular derm, so you can do this when cysts come up. If that is absolutely not an option for you, for whatever reason, I think you should try fasting from food for one to two days. Only drink water. I know this sounds extreme, but something you have to understand is that the cyst is developed at a very deep level within the epidermis that benzoyl peroxide can not even hope to reach. I have never even tried the fasting technique myself, so i have no clue if that will work. But, it certainly might. No topical med will help with a cyst, unless it's Retin-A, and that can take a while. Antibiotics, Prendisone and Accutane are the only meds that will get them. But, again, the dermatologist for an injection, and if necessary a repeat injection, this is your best option.

Thanks people for the advice, ive stopped using BP and its less red but still puffy and sore at the bottom

Cheers biggrin.gif

My GP prescribed Doxycycline 100mg tablets for 2 months.. hopefully it will stop all other acne too! wink.gif

You could try Epsom salt: add 1/4 cup of Epsom salt to 2 cups of very, very warm water. Dip a (clean :-)))) washcloth in the water and press it gently to your face for a few seconds. Keep doing this for a few minutes. Let air dy. Repeat once a day. This is supposed to bring the cyst to a head. The only time we've tried it, it worked. Some people on this board have tried much stronger Epsom salt concentrations but I wouldn't go higher than 50/50--the concentration used to soak aching muscles--because Epsom salt is caustic at high concentrations.

BP has only mild keratolytic/comedolytic action (thanks to the fact that it dries the top layer of the skin). It is mostly used to kill bacteria but can't get INSIDE the cyst because of the closed follicle opening. Salicylic acid is fat soluble and is therefore supposed to help dissolve the sebum that's blocking the pore and giving the P.acnes bacteria inside a cozy little party place. I.e. you could also try a salicylic acid (2%) spot treatment on the cyst. In my experience, it's not a miracle cure, though.

Good luck with the Doxycycline, too.