Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amnesiac

Dermabrasion patiens

I;m just trying to gather some knowledge, if you had dermabrasion please answer the following:

1) age

2) skin type

3) scarring type

4)results

5) overall health

6) complications

7) aproximate healing time

1. age: 50

2. skin type: very fair, oily

3. scarring type: enlarged pores, few ice picks, rolling scars, orange peel texture

4. results: at 4 months post-op, I would say about 20% (waiting for that notorious

collagen boost!).

5. overall health: fair/good

6. complications: none

7. approximate healing time: able to apply make-up on day 10, redness totally

gone at 3 months.

4. results: at 4 months post-op, I would say about 20% (waiting for that notorious

collagen boost!).

"As the months go by you just lose the swelling, until you get back to your pre-dermabrasion state. There is no further plumping effect."

Unfortunately, I think the above poster may be right. At 4 months post-op, all of my swelling has finally subsided and my scars appear significantly worse, especially now that I've acquired orange-peel/lizard texture over them. It's a double whammy...well, make that triple: I've also since developed at least a dozen new scars on my right cheek (my right cheek had only a couple of small scars on it before the procedure), I'm guessing from breakouts the past few months. Anyway, I simply cannot fathom how my old scars are going to fill in. I don't wish to dispute anything, as there are others here who are farther along post op and thus have more experience in the matter. Nonetheless, I am extremely doubtful.

6) Complications: one too many

7) Approximate healing time: forever and a day sad.gif My skin is still pink...to say the least.

*Edited to add:*

"Nonetheless, I am extremely doubtful...that it will happen to me or that I will experience a collagen boost. NOT doubtful that other patients have. When I had agreed with the above poster, I wasn't implying that others who had previously commented about a collagen boost had fabricated. Because of my negative healing process thus far, I am feeling a bit cynical about my final results. sad.gif

I have experienced several collagen boosts and I am not on crack. Please do call Dr. Y and he will confirm that this has been the experience of many. There's a reason he cautions people to refrain from assessing their results until b/t 6 months and 1 year post procedure. Yes, the initial swelling does go down and that can be frustrating after seeing significantly plumped up skin. But I noticed some filling in at the 3 month mark and then significant filling in at about 5.5 months and then just recently ( about 10 months post-op) I notice even more plumping (though this could be in part due to a recent uptake in vitamin C). I also have a very healthy diet, get a decent amount of exercise, get plenty of sleep, drink lots of water, and am, after too many years (32 years old), have patience and reasonable expectations. I also had quite deep and noticable surgical scarring. I am quite fair- skinned but with light olive undertones (Italian), and I believe that I tend to heal very well (considering what my skin's been through, my scarring should probably be much worse)

I am sorry for those who have not healed as well as I have, but I really resent being told that what I report back is crack-induced. I am absolutely hypercritical of my skin and the results I detect (or don't) from products or procedures--if anything, I'm more likely to be dissatisfied than satisfied. I report these results back because I think I owe that to the board from which I have learned so much, not to be dismissed like that.

--leo

1. My neck's skin tone is tan yellow. The new tone seem much lighter than that. I shall start bleaching my neck so when the redness goes, they will blend better. Hopefully I am not making it worse.

2. Demarcation line. My left demarcation line is behind my jaw line, that's fine. My right demarcation line is right on the jaw line. You don't have to stand besides me to see where it ends. Again the only thing I can think of is blending with bleach.

I'm hoping in 6 months I can tan again.

Sigh .... idea anyone? sad.gif

Thanks,

Sword

1.) I'll be 25 in exactly a month. eusa_dance.gif I had both of my dermabrasions at age 24

2.) Skin Type: very fair (a blue eyed blonde, even my eyelashes and brows are the lightest shade of blonde) ( I do tan quit well, eventually), and my skin is constantly and disgustingly oily.

3.) mostly box car scarring, deep pits, and rolling scars. I have very few icepick scars. I asked Dr. Y. if he would classify mine as severe scarring and to my dismay he said yes.

4.) my rolling scars on along the jaw line and lower cheek appear to have been diminished. If there are any there they are only very slightly visible.

My deep pitted areas on my cheeks and temples were smoothed out considerably. They no longer appear so harsh. Certain small ones (very small) I noticed after my first dermabrasion have practically disappeared after my second.

I had other various areas considerably less scarred over my whole face such as my forehead, nose, the area of my cheeks closest to my nose, and around my mouth. Everything appears to be completley smooth in the areas.

Dr. Y. said that he felt confident that if I returned for a third, that I would only need my temples and the center of my cheeks done. I think I may just go the whole full facial route anyway.

5.) I have no real health concerns at this time. However, I do not take care of myself as I should. No exercise. I do smoke quite a bit, and been over doing it with the drinking in the past year on and off. But, I have changed my diet considerably in the last year. I eat the things I should and quite a bit now (I'm a tiny girl) and take a lot of supplments and vitamins.

6.) my only complication was suffering from bad breakouts both times. I'm struggling with one right now. These are the worst I've had since I've been off accutane. I'm told this is to be expected and in a few months everything will be much better.

7.) Healing time, I think that depends on the individual. It heals really fast. It heals right before your eyes. When you wake up in morning, look in the mirror, and then do it again at bedtime, you will see good changes in that amount of time.

I tried to GENTLY wash a little more often while in the shaving foam and vasoline phase. It really helped with the uncomfortableness from the runny vasoline, and helped when I started to get the itchies as well. Reapplying the new vasoline keeps the new skin safe and free from whatever may have been sticking in the old vasoline, so in my opinon it helped a lot with the healing.

I could have put on make up on the 10th day, but I didn't feel like it, this whole thing was a mini lazy vacation so I was in no hurry to go out in public. ninja.gif

I returned to work two weeks after the date of my surgery. I did take my soaps and lotions and tried to wash a few times during the work day. Washing and reapplying fresh moisturizer really helped me when I was in the itchy phase. wacko.gif

My face was just really red, that's all, but I'm a girl and I can wear makeup without getting questioned or funny looks. Over the next month and a half for me it went from looking like an extremely bad sun burn, to light pink, then it turned into splotches of pink, and finally back to normal.

What are you talking about?  What collagen boost?  As the months go by you just lose the swelling, until you get back to your pre-dermabrasion state.  There is no further plumping effect.  Whoever reported a collagen boost is on crack.  If you call and ask the doctor he'll tell you the same thing.

i'm really thinking of doing this now since i am young and may heal better and quicker but i don't think i could deal with bad permanent side effects if they were to occur this early on my life.

What are you talking about?  What collagen boost?  As the months go by you just lose the swelling, until you get back to your pre-dermabrasion state.  There is no further plumping effect.  Whoever reported a collagen boost is on crack.  If you call and ask the doctor he'll tell you the same thing.

I;m just trying to gather some knowledge, if you had dermabrasion please answer the following:

1) age

2) skin type

3) scarring type

4)results

5) overall health

6) complications

7) aproximate healing time

If that were the case then why have thousands upon thousands of people had good results with dermabrasion, and why has a doctor such as Dr Y managed to make a great career out performing dermabrasion?

Fair enough you had dermabrasion and you didn't get the results you'd hoped for. Get over it, move on, and try not to post such negative bullshit, sorry if i  sound like i'm being a bit of a happyflowers, but it pisses me off when people type such negative crap, it wouldn't be so bad if you were posting negative crap that was true, but what your are acctually saying isn't true, therefore it pisses me off even more.

If you seriously believe what you have written in the above statement, then i'd advise you to go and give Dr Y a call, so he can prove you wrong.

i really want to get this done but like i've said i don't know if i could deal with a bad result this early in my life, i'm only 20 and do want to deal with this now but if i experience bad results i don't know what i would do, i don't mind no results but a bad outcome would really destroy me.

I'm thinking i may heal fine since my metabolism is real high and i am fairly young and healthy, plus my scars are indented but flat, not really like they were caused by an icepick, so if i were to treat the edges which dermabration does they would look much better.

1. My neck's skin tone is tan yellow.  The new tone seem much lighter than that.  I shall start bleaching my neck so when the redness goes, they will blend better.  Hopefully I am not making it worse.

2. Demarcation line.  My left demarcation line is behind my jaw line, that's fine.  My right demarcation line is right on the jaw line.  You don't have to stand besides me to see where it ends.  Again the only thing I can think of is blending with bleach.

I'm hoping in 6 months I can tan again.

Sigh ....  idea anyone?    sad.gif

Thanks,

Sword

Thanks queenie,

Yes I realized that and have been applying sunblock on my neck since a few weeks ago.

Sword