Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been using St Ives Medicated Apricot Scrub 1-2 times a week for almost 2 years now and it's been fine. But lately I seem to need some gentle exfoliation more often (every second day or so)

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions for regular exfoliation are also welcome. I don't have any complaints about the St Ives Medicated but I've never really tried anything else (apart from Baking Soda = irritating for me) so a change might not be such a bad thing...you know what they say about the grass always being greener on the otherside wink.gif

I don't really like the invogorating St Ives Scrub either

Got2B makes an excellent scrub made of papaya, apricot and tea tree oil. Its a little less harsh and more creamier. I'm completely addicted to it. I use it every morning now. Its really cheap!! My skin has been better then ever!!!

Also, you can consider an exfoliation (facial) brush, which I always use with my cleanser, and helps get makeup off so well. The body shop makes one, and I also have seen one by Quo.

Here's the links:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=93138&catid

http://www.thebodyshop.com/bodyshop/browse...ryId=cat1320003

i wouldnt really advise scrubbing every day--maybe every other day. if it's been working for you for 2 years, well, then definitely go with something gentler. problem with scrubbing is, eventually, you might notice that your skin is more irritated (which is why you seem to need a gentler scrub now). long term, you might develop broken capillaries.

if you like the exfoliating factor, might be better to skip scrubbing altogether and use a moisturizer with AHA, like glycolic acid (at least 8%), or Salicylic Acid (at least 1%). this method would provide a more gradual, gentler sloughing action.

i've read on Paula Begoun's site ( www.cosmeticscop.com ) that physically scrubbing your skin can weaken it and eventually it will be harder for your skin to continuously heal itself.

a good exfoliant is a chemical one which goes deep into your pores to disintegrate the gunk. BHAs are recommended for oily, clogged up skin. she sells BHA gels and lotion, and i got a sample in the mail when i ordered her catalog! it's GREAT. it really does clean out my pores, leaving me with clearer and smoother skin. give it a try by ordering a catalog, and you might receive some samples as well.

I never used to need to scrub more than twice a week but since using Aloe Vera and ACV I find my skin feels kind of I don't know thick and my pimples heal up but stay behind as crusty bumps. I've been using the St Ives Medicated every second day or more for about a week now and it has helped but I am worried about it being a bit to harsh even though I use it really really gently and mostly just work on the crusty bumps.

18yochick, that scrub sounds really yummy!! I wonder if it's available in Australia I'll have to go on another hunting expidition. I used to use a facial brush and then a Buff Puff but abandoned them because I got worried about them harbouring bacteria.

Its funny cuz my skin has been healing way better since using a gentle scrub. marks fade so much faster and the skin just looks healthier. Once I notice any signs of damage or broken capiliaries (sp?) then I'm gonna stop, but for now, this has been the best thing yet. I wish I could return my crappy $32 GA lotion.

Kat: Yeah, it looks like your gonna have to go on a product hunt. I'm really not sure if it's available in Australia.

I understand your concern for the facial brush. For me, it has been excellent. I always use extremely hot water to wash it beforehand. Plus its clear, so if theres any crap on it you'll see. I find it very easy to maintain, and its so good for traveling.

st ives is a rough scrub? i started using it tonight & my skin feels so smooth. is it worth my time?

I've been using St Ives Medicated Apricot Scrub 1-2 times a week for almost 2 years now and it's been fine. But lately I seem to need some gentle exfoliation more often (every second day or so)

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions for regular exfoliation are also welcome. I don't have any complaints about the St Ives Medicated but I've never really tried anything else (apart from Baking Soda = irritating for me) so a change might not be such a bad thing...you know what they say about the grass always being greener on the otherside  wink.gif

I don't really like the invogorating St Ives Scrub either

For me the best Exfoliating Scrub is Gentle Facial Buff.

The good thing about this product is that it doens't contain any rough substances as a ground walnut shell or apricot pits, as many other scrubs do.

How are you liking the mask?? I was considering trying the other products, just because they are cheap and the scrub has been really great so far.

But now im working on getting out that deep dirt/whatever it is that makes some parts of my skin bumpy.

So maybe I'll start using the mask more, I just wasn't sure how to use it.  It seems like a good quality product.  I dont know how much it cost because my mom bought it for me.  biggrin.gif

Wow thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Only problem is that so far I've had not had much success in tracking down many of these products down here in the land of Aus... but I'll keep looking.

In the meantime I think I'll give the oatmeal a try...I'm sure I can find that here at least.

America has so many products it drives me crazy with envy evil.gif

I cant help but wonder about that cosmeticcop recommending chemicals for people suffering with acne. Our skin is obviously sensitive do we really need harsh chemicals?

I have tried many different products and yet again have been dissapointed. I spent some time searching for home made skin treatments. One of the ones I found was two teaspoons of oatmeal and one teaspoon of bicarb mix this with warm water, mix till the oats look soft and a bit mushy and then very very gently and slowly massage it around your face & neck. rinse thoroughly. This leaves your skin feeling so smooth and soft. I also found that apple cider vinegar mixed with water is a good ph balancer. so 1/3 acv to 3 cups of water (use a good water filtered or distilled) once completeing the oat & bicarb I give my skin 5 mins to refresh then I just dab my hands in the acv mix and gently pat on my skin. Apparently the acv has many benefits to the body as well as the skin, do a basic search online for further details.

I have been doing this for a week and it is going very well. Not completely clear but it certainly seems to be clearing me.

I understand that everyone has a different skin type so this may not work for you. I have a combination of normal to oily. If you want to find something that suits you, is a bit more nature based check out this website for suggestions.

www.organicformulations.com.au/skin_care_recipes

Good luck!

Thanks sunshine,

I'm using a 1/2 solution of ACV after I cleanse at night and it has helped. I tried mixing some oatmeal with my cetaphil and it seemed to do an okay job so I think I will stick with that for a while.

I am actually thinking of making my own cleansers and exfoliators from scratch because I'm tired of having to make do with products that have potential acne causing ingredients, 36 letters long that I couldn't pronounce if my life depended on it wink.gif

But since soap making can take up to 4 weeks to complete i'll stick with cetaphil and the oats for a while longer

Thanks for the link I'll check it out

Got2B makes an excellent scrub made of papaya, apricot and tea tree oil. Its a little less harsh and more creamier. I'm completely addicted to it. I use it every morning now. Its really cheap!! My skin has been better then ever!!!

Also, you can consider an exfoliation (facial) brush, which I always use with my cleanser, and helps get makeup off so well. The body shop makes one, and I also have seen one by Quo.

Here's the links:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=93138&catid

http://www.thebodyshop.com/bodyshop/browse...ryId=cat1320003