Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shiningstar790

about a chemical peel? any suggestions??

I was thinking about getting a chemical peel but Im not sure how damaging it can be on my skin? Please tell me if you have had it done and if it were worth it? Plus the cost??? Thanks!!

I purchase my own glycolic solution and do the peels myself.

If you choose this method, start with a low percentage and follow the timing instructions very carefully. Only increase to a higher percentage when you notice no further improvements from the current concentration.

A peel is definitely worth it. It will remove the dead skin cells opening up the pores, removing any scarring, decrease oily skin, firm up skin etc. You may experience some initial breakouts, but after successive peels, they will clear up.

Hints:

- After about a month or so stop using peels for a week or 2 . Remember, your skin can get used to the peels.

- Increase the timing of the peel rather than increasing the concentration of the peels.

- There are different types of peels from gentler enzymes to AHA's to BHA's etc.

- Know your skin (i.e. sensitive, normal etc.) and don't use a concentration that's too high or leave the treatment on for too long. Better to underpeel than to overdo it.

- If you are uncomfortable doing your own peels, have it done the first time by a professional and ask lots of questions.

Look at www.platinumskincare.com.

They carry a huge variety of peels and other skin care products (I also use the Super CP Serum). I currently use glycolic acid ranging in concentrations from 30% to 60%. The other acids may give better or faster benefits, but I can't take time off from work for the downtime.

I do a peel Thursday night. The skin will look normal enough to go to work on Friday. Saturday and Sunday I stay home and the peeling starts. By Tuesday or Wednesday of next week, most of the peeling will be finished. Don't try to slough off the peeling skin...it could lead to scarring (speaking from experience).

Peels work fabulously for combination/oily skin.

- It will remove the dead skin from the dry areas so moisturizers will penetrate better

- And it will reduce oil production in the overactive areas. I have oily skin and the peels control the oils for about 1-2 weeks.

I've noticed enough improvement that I have gone from weekly peels to once every few weeks.

P.S. I've also purchaed peels from eBay, but make sure you are dealing with a reputable seller...you don't want to purchase a cheap peel with inferior and possibly dangerous ingredients.

Light peels: Alphahydroxy acids (AHAs) AHA peels generally cause some flaking, redness and dryness, or skin irritation. These side effects diminish over time. Once the body heals itself naturally, the outer layer of skin will fall away. Patients are usually able to engage in normal public activities the day after an AHA peel.

Medium peels: Trichloroacetic acids (TCA) TCA peels may cause significant swelling, depending on the potency of the chemical solution that was used. Swelling should diminish after the first week. The skin will heal sufficiently to resume normal activities in approximately 7-10 days.

Deep peels: Phenol acid After a Phenol peel, your doctor may prescribe a mild pain medication to relieve any discomfort. If a waterproof adhesive is applied to the treated area, it will be removed in 1-2 days, and you�ll be instructed to cover the area with antiseptic powder several times a day. A scab will form and, within 7-10 days, new skin will form. While the skin will be red at first, the color will lighten over a few weeks to a few months.

After any peel, it is critically important that the skin be protected from the sun. Ask your doctor to recommend a sun block with both UVA and UVB protection, and apply it daily.

After the procedure, the doctor may recommend that the patient stop smoking for at least a week. Smoking decreases circulation of the blood in the skin, which can slow your recovery.