Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I use to use clearasel ice wash (without water, thinking it may work better) which caused me to get this problem of wrinkles around the mouth area.

Now 4 days ago i started on benzoyl peroxide following the acne.org instructions carefully for a twice a day treatment and am getting the wrinkles again, i am getting really worried, should i continue using benzoyl peroxide? the wrinkles arent too bad now but when smiling it is extremely visable unless moisturisor is applied. Just now i applied moisturisor and it seems to have gone temporaily. i REALLY dont want this to cause permanent wrinkles and i would just like them to go away sad.gifsad.gif but i would like to continue using the benzoyl as it is stopping my acne..

so:

Should i stop using benzoyl peroxide?

Is there a way to prevent these wrinkles from being permanent?

Is there another temporary way to prevent these wrinkles from showing?

thanks for any help as this is really worrying me!

The wrinkles are caused from your skin being too dry. The skin gets really tight and then tries to help itself by stretching into little folds, hence the wrinkles. They are not permanent and you are not prematurely aging. STICK WITH THE BP. You will be glad you did. The best way to avoid these wrinkles is to: MOISTURIZE and then MOISTURIZE some more. Do it as often as you feel necessary. The first few weeks of the Regimen, I had to moisturize up to 5 times daily to get rid of the tightness and flakes on my skin. Of course be very gentle when applying that often as you don't want to over-irritate, but your skin will ultimately thank you as it adjusts to the BP. Again, MOISTURIZE! You will notice a huge difference!

Good luck!

biggrin.gif

As mario said, the wrinkles are caused by being to dry, so moisturizing will help ...HOWEVER, I found that no matter how much moisturizer I put on, it didn't prevent them. What I found the real culprit to be was the dead skin cells caused by not exfoliating enough. What you need is a gentle exfoliant to remove them (this will also prevent milia from forming, which are blocked pores caused by dead skin cells). There is a great thread on using Alpha Hydroxy (AHA) products for exfoliating here.

Moisturizing is important. I'll even notice more lines when I'm really dehydrated so drinking lots of water is key too. I use a daily scrub and salicylic acid mask once or twice a week to help remove the dead skin cells.

The wrinkles are caused from your skin being too dry. The skin gets really tight and then tries to help itself by stretching into little folds, hence the wrinkles. They are not permanent and you are not prematurely aging. STICK WITH THE BP. You will be glad you did. The best way to avoid these wrinkles is to: MOISTURIZE and then MOISTURIZE some more. Do it as often as you feel necessary. The first few weeks of the Regimen, I had to moisturize up to 5 times daily to get rid of the tightness and flakes on my skin. Of course be very gentle when applying that often as you don't want to over-irritate, but your skin will ultimately thank you as it adjusts to the BP. Again, MOISTURIZE! You will notice a huge difference!

Good luck!

biggrin.gif

Moisturizing is important. I'll even notice more lines when I'm really dehydrated so drinking lots of water is key too. I use a daily scrub and salicylic acid mask once or twice a week to help remove the dead skin cells.

I use to use clearasel ice wash (without water, thinking it may work better) which caused me to get this problem of wrinkles around the mouth area.

Now 4 days ago i started on benzoyl peroxide following the acne.org instructions carefully for a twice a day treatment and am getting the wrinkles again, i am getting really worried, should i continue using benzoyl peroxide? the wrinkles arent too bad now but when smiling it is extremely visable unless moisturisor is applied. Just now i applied moisturisor and it seems to have gone temporaily. i REALLY dont want this to cause permanent wrinkles and i would just like them to go away sad.gifsad.gif but i would like to continue using the benzoyl as it is stopping my acne..

so:

Should i stop using benzoyl peroxide?

Is there a way to prevent these wrinkles from being permanent?

Is there another temporary way to prevent these wrinkles from showing?

thanks for any help as this is really worrying me!

I think besides moisterizing, try not to smash your face on your pillow when you sleep, it can create deep wrinkles on delicate skin.

Hello everyone, I'd would like to share my experience here, today when I came back to the doctor.

First of all, I am brazilian maybe I cannot express myself correctly.

About my treatment: I've used PanOxyl 10% during the past 3 years, I am to turn 23 years old now. During the last three or four months my skin became less oily. I didn't pay attention to it, I've just used less BP, and sometimes a cream with vitamin C against aging. But suddenly from noon to evening I've seen a red line on my forehead, which turned a wrinkle after I got a shower. It was on 16th August, and until this moments it's not gone. My acne fortunately is gone, inclusing my oiliness, like a miracle. I went to two doctor, both told me my wrinkle it couldn't be due to BP. Ths first one told me to me to wash myself with coul water for a week and then come back. But I've decided to come back to another doctor, today. This one observed my skin, told it was irritated because I've started to use tretinoin by my own, because I know it is used for aging signs. But the first doctor had told me my wrinkle was read. Very strange not? But any doctors weren't worried about its causes. The second doctor today gave me two "formulas" that I have to get made on a drugstore. One of the components, Argireline, has a lighter effect of a Botox! It may make muscle relaxes a little. The other components are gluconolactona, lactobionic acid, Vit.C-IP, and blend of silicon. I may use tretinoin 0,025% just twice a week because my skin is pale and sensitive and acid is a long term treatment.

But she told me that I should have used sunscreen each four hours everyday, and not just once a day, for the past years. And she didn't recomend peelings because they cause veins to appear over the skin, nor laser because it's expensive and maybe doesn't make much difference (I don't understand why not).

She was not very nice and patient to give me much explanations, just told somethings that could have happenned:

- Oiliness can irritate deep part of the skin and cause a wrinkle, even if the skin is apparently dry outsides due to BP usage.

- I should have came back to the doctor examine my skin every few months while I've used BP, because we can't imagine what may happen to the skin during a long term treatment. But my last doctor didn't told me those risks, she just told BP doesn't damage skin, but it did, if not the BP, maybe it could have been the alcool vehicle PanOxyl uses.

- She told me a wrinkle could have been forming already, and in fact my skin didn't have shine and was always sensible. So, that day I could have noticed the wrinkle, when it became noticeable. However it doesn't explain the read line.

- Tazaroten may cause cancer and is forbidden in Brazil.

She didn't want to give me more explanations, and told me to not get infos on internet because there is a Medicin university where I should have studied before doing affirmations. She is not polite, but can be intelligent...