Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I use to use clearasel ice wash (without water, thinking it may work better) which caused me to get this problem of wrinkles around the mouth area.

Now 4 days ago i started on benzoyl peroxide following the acne.org instructions carefully for a twice a day treatment and am getting the wrinkles again, i am getting really worried, should i continue using benzoyl peroxide? the wrinkles arent too bad now but when smiling it is extremely visable unless moisturisor is applied. Just now i applied moisturisor and it seems to have gone temporaily. i REALLY dont want this to cause permanent wrinkles and i would just like them to go away sad.gifsad.gif but i would like to continue using the benzoyl as it is stopping my acne..

so:

Should i stop using benzoyl peroxide?

Is there a way to prevent these wrinkles from being permanent?

Is there another temporary way to prevent these wrinkles from showing?

thanks for any help as this is really worrying me!

Try using hyaluronic acid on top of benzoyl peroxide - it holds I think 1000x its weight in water to moisturize skin.

SkinEternal makes a cheap hyaluronic acid formulation that isn't 99% hyaluronic acid, but enough to moisturize, and it may have mildly comedogenic ingredients in small amounts which shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you can spend more, get the $30 hyaluronic acid from makeupartistschoice.com for 1 oz.

I have eczema and acne so it's - wrinkle, bleeding/scaly, acne skin. I do benzoyl peroxide either once a day or every other day and when my skin gets contact dermatitis from the benzoyl peroxide, I revert to the eczema ointment and the vicious cycle continues. mad.gif

Once you've got your acne under some control, salicylic acid may be the better solution that you can apply on a more regular basis and in larger quantities, with occasional touch ups with benzoyl peroxide. The salicylic unclogs oily pores better than benzoyl peroxide. The BP is mainly used for antibacterial properties.

Nature's Cure body spray has salicylic and some alcohol to unclog pores and be antibacterial. I use it for my face (spraying on my hands and applying it to face). It can be somewhat drying, but less so than benzoyl peroxide when is also a bigger irritant. Nature's Cure also has a moisturizing botanical base that is less drying than some other salicylic formulations. You can also try hydrogen peroxide as an antibacterial toner.

I've discovered, contrary to Dan's regimen, that benzoyl peroxide isn't the best for sensitive skin prone to eczema.

Good Luck!

There's no need to spook people with the photo!! shock.gif

But don't worry, there's always BOTOX and face lifts so that you can look like Michael Jackson.

though im still using benzoyl twice a day im cutting down the dosage a lil bit. you think this will help/solve my problem?

im dead serious guys, this is really starting to scare me. im only 16 and this is giving me really bad wrinkles. this is a shot with no moisturisor

user posted image

you cant really notice it but my skin around my mouth has gotten REALLY flakey and dry. yesterday i used the moisturisor 4 times to keep it from lookng. it hurts mildly aswell. please could i get some help :<

and ETERNALacne and would you say that i have eczema? if not, how do i find out if i do

You know , I noticed a wrinkle on my face today that wasn't there before. I have NO wrinkles and now I have that line on the side of my mouth.

Hmmmmmmm

im dead serious guys, this is really starting to scare me. im only 16 and this is giving me really bad wrinkles. this is a shot with no moisturisor

user posted image

You may want to consider an acne treatment with salicylic acid (2%). It has some antibacterial qualities and it will help to exfoliate the skin, removing the dead skin cells (which will also improve the wrinkles somewhat) and keeping the pores clear. Some people have found salicylic acid to be just as effective against acne as bp. (Just make sure you're not allergic to salicylic acid.)

thanks guys, no more benzoyl peroxide (and yes, it was only 2.5%) for me. ill just be applying moisturisor for the next 1 or 2 days. and ill be looking into getting salicylic acid

Try using hyaluronic acid on top of benzoyl peroxide - it holds I think 1000x its weight in water to moisturize skin.

I would most definately cut back on the bp.....a good moisturizer can be very expensive but in the meantime if u want something really cheap, this stuff has been a long time remedy for wrinkles in times past and works for me... 100% pure - cold pressed EXTRA virgin olive oil.....not any other kind of olive oil because otherwise it is chemically processed...at night, apply generously gently rubbing it in the area and lock it in with a layer of vaseline....take a tissue and wipe off in the morning, u should see a VERY big difference in those lines. cool.gif

You can purchase vaseline pretty well anywhere....drug stores, corner stores, walmart, ....it is usually cheaper at your local grocery store.

Vaseline is Petroleum Jelly..can be purchase just about anywhere..even if you buy a store brand, not Vaseline brand..as long as it says petroleum jelly..its all the same.

Provides visible relief of dry skin when used regularly.

Offers soothing protection for minor burns

Protects skin from wind burn and chapping

Helps prevent diaper rash

Indications:

Heal dry skin

Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles

Remove eye make-up without irritation

Ingredients:

Active Ingredients: White Petrolatum

Warnings:

For external use only not to be applied over deep or punctured wounds, infections or lacerations. If redness or swelling develops consult a physician promptly. Keep out of reach of children.

i really think a lot of your "wrinkles" are actually just the result of very dry skin cracking. the solution here is probably not going to be putting a lot of acid on your face to dry it out even more. you should stop the bp and just put nothing around your mouth- i don't know about you, but i'd rather get a zit than a wrinkle.

use an intensive moisturizer. what i'm using now is "neutrogena norweigan formula" moisturizer, it has petrolatum and some other stuff (usually used for hands). it reduces the thin line i have a lot if i use it religiously and it hasn't made me break out yet. if i don't put it on, the thin line comes back very quickly. it's not a perfect solution by any means, but i think it'll help them look a lot better. it's worth a shot. everyone has lines around their mouth when they smile, no matter what age... but i think a lot of those will go away if you use a more intensive moisturizer and stay away from harsh chemicals.

Maybe they are just expression marks, not real wrinkles. Are they visable when your face there is relaxed? If not, then they can't be proper wrinkles surely.

Hello everyone, I'd would like to share my experience here, today when I came back to the doctor.

First of all, I am brazilian maybe I cannot express myself correctly.

About my treatment: I've used PanOxyl 10% during the past 3 years, I am to turn 23 years old now. During the last three or four months my skin became less oily. I didn't pay attention to it, I've just used less BP, and sometimes a cream with vitamin C against aging. But suddenly from noon to evening I've seen a red line on my forehead, which turned a wrinkle after I got a shower. It was on 16th August, and until this moments it's not gone. My acne fortunately is gone, inclusing my oiliness, like a miracle. I went to two doctor, both told me my wrinkle it couldn't be due to BP. Ths first one told me to me to wash myself with coul water for a week and then come back. But I've decided to come back to another doctor, today. This one observed my skin, told it was irritated because I've started to use tretinoin by my own, because I know it is used for aging signs. But the first doctor had told me my wrinkle was read. Very strange not? But any doctors weren't worried about its causes. The second doctor today gave me two "formulas" that I have to get made on a drugstore. One of the components, Argireline, has a lighter effect of a Botox! It may make muscle relaxes a little. The other components are gluconolactona, lactobionic acid, Vit.C-IP, and blend of silicon. I may use tretinoin 0,025% just twice a week because my skin is pale and sensitive and acid is a long term treatment.

But she told me that I should have used sunscreen each four hours everyday, and not just once a day, for the past years. And she didn't recomend peelings because they cause veins to appear over the skin, nor laser because it's expensive and maybe doesn't make much difference (I don't understand why not).

She was not very nice and patient to give me much explanations, just told somethings that could have happenned:

- Oiliness can irritate deep part of the skin and cause a wrinkle, even if the skin is apparently dry outsides due to BP usage.

- I should have came back to the doctor examine my skin every few months while I've used BP, because we can't imagine what may happen to the skin during a long term treatment. But my last doctor didn't told me those risks, she just told BP doesn't damage skin, but it did, if not the BP, maybe it could have been the alcool vehicle PanOxyl uses.

- She told me a wrinkle could have been forming already, and in fact my skin didn't have shine and was always sensible. So, that day I could have noticed the wrinkle, when it became noticeable. However it doesn't explain the read line.

- Tazaroten may cause cancer and is forbidden in Brazil.

She didn't want to give me more explanations, and told me to not get infos on internet because there is a Medicin university where I should have studied before doing affirmations. She is not polite, but can be intelligent...

You don't look like you have zits on either side of your mouth, so I would agree that maybe you just shouldn't apply drying stuff to those areas if they are getting so dry.