Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I_hate_acne

Do you think Cetaphil really cleanses your skin?

I bought the Cetaphil gentle cleanser a few days ago and have been using it as my only cleanser. When I first used it, it was wonderful...very gentle, and it still is. But the only problem is that it doesnt remove my make up, and even if I'm not wearing makeup, it still leaves my skin, especially around my nose, a little oily. And I feel like the cleanse leaves a thin residue or something. eusa_think.gif Anyone ever experienced anything like this?

I use Cetaphil cleanser and I like it. It's so soft. I don't wear heavy foundation though. I just use conceiler and powder. It always takes my eye makeup off fine though. I dont even have to use a seperate eye makeup remover for that.

I bought the Cetaphil gentle cleanser a few days ago and have been using it as my only cleanser. When I first used it, it was wonderful...very gentle, and it still is. But the only problem is that it doesnt remove my make up, and even if I'm not wearing makeup, it still leaves my skin, especially around my nose, a little oily. And I feel like the cleanse leaves a thin residue or something.  eusa_think.gif Anyone ever experienced anything like this?

i didnt really think it was wroking it didnt feel like it - and then it says it has propelyine glycol or whatever and someone else made a post sayinmg that propelyne glycol causes cystic acne. and doesnt it have stearic acid or something that clogs pores ? i just erally dont think it works that good at removing makeup or anything. thats jus me tho .

i didnt really think it was wroking it didnt feel like it - and then it says it has propelyine glycol or whatever and someone else made a post sayinmg that propelyne glycol causes cystic acne. and doesnt it have stearic acid or something that clogs pores ?  i just erally dont think it works that good at removing makeup or anything. thats jus me tho .

Neutrogena Fresh Foaming is a bit drying, but it does remove make-up perfectly in one quick step. Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash is not drying at all, but you need to lather up twice.

General rule is, if a cleanser foams and lathers up really well, then it has enough detergents to clean off make up. Non-foaming cleansers (like Cetaphil) are, yes, extremely gentle, but they won't remove tough make up pigment.

I don't understand why dermatologists recommend the Cetaphil cleansers. I'd get the cleanser (the regular and once I got the one for normal to oily skin) and it would clog my pours. Then I'd forget and think "I need a gentle cleanser" so I'd get it again and it would clog my pours, etc, etc, until I finally learned not to get it.

Right now I'm using the Nucelle Mandelic facial cleanser. It's very gentle and removes my makeup. The only one little drawback is the pump is lousy. I have to pump it six to seven times to get an adequate amount for washing.

Guest Amy Lee

Cetaphil doesn't clean well the skin because umm... it's not a soap? Soaps are fats and fats are needed to dissolve oils. That's why using water alone can not rid the skin of sebum, we need a medium like soaps to bind oil, dirt, etc. to be washed off.

Personally I don't like Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser (liquid) because it's expensive and doesn't work on me.

UGH! Now you guys have me wanting to change my regimen. Why am I so easily tempted?

Ok I give in then, what cleanser should I be using?

Hhhmmm I've been using it for two weeks now and my skin is better not worse...but I did start using Aloe Vera gel the same time I switched to cetaphil.

As for the makeup thing I just wash with cetaphil twice (I do this with any cleanser I use) and it seems to do the job.

BUT

"propelyne glycol causes cystic acne"

anyone else heard about this? I did get a couple of cyst-ish bumps last week. They weren't true cysts though. they weren't as big, red, or painful as the ones I usually get but I haven't had cysts of any kind for a while, so maybe it's more than just a coincidence...hhmmm...? Think I might have to look into this a bit further. Don't think I'll switch just yet though, I'll keep an eye on things and see if these pseudo-cysts become a regular occurence first.

I used to use cetaphil, I think its fine. Your face will not feel stripped of oils because it moisturizes...which is perfectly fine for me. I think the notion of having a really dry skin after you wash is not a good one, because being stripped of too much natural oils isnt good

I've been using cetaphil bar for few years already. cant say that i love it, but its the best thing that i've tried so far(waiting for that burt's bees bar in the mail). it doesnt clean up oil nearly as well as soap-based products, but thats also the reason why it's not as irritating as regular soap. have to compromise one thing to get another i guess.

I've been using cetaphil bar for few years already. cant say that i love it, but its the best thing that i've tried so far(waiting for that burt's bees bar in the mail). it doesnt clean up oil nearly as well as soap-based products, but thats also the reason why it's not as irritating as regular soap. have to compromise one thing to get another i guess.

I never liked Cetaphil for the same reasons that others didn't like it. It felt goopy, unclean and overall an unsatisfactory washing experience. I love Purpose, and yes, I lather twice and sometimes three times. I just feel clean but not stripped after using it.

UGH! Now you guys have me wanting to change my regimen. Why am I so easily tempted?

Ok I give in then, what cleanser should I be using?

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Cetaphil might be a little weird. My face has broken out a little bit more, and it might be because of using this. It leaves a slight "waxy" feeling to my face, I imagine it might feel even more so if you dont use water to wash it off. Plus the label says it contains some alcohols, which might be irritating(?).

For me- Cetaphil was awful. It dried me out, and made me break out worse. I just cannot use it. I also felt like there was a film left on my skin. Now that I am on Retin- A Micro, I use a cleansing milk from Mario Badescu- its like 8$ a bottle or something- and I havent peeled at all, and don't get dry. It also doesn't break me out- I love it.