Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest WhyGOD111

What can I eat without bread...?

Guest WhyGOD111

Everything I eat contains some amount of bread for example pizza, hamburgers, tortas(mexican hamburger basiclly) penut butter jelly sandwhich and the list goes on and on..... what can I eat thats somewhat healthy and doesnt have bread in it or as a side order?(olive garden salad bread sticks eusa_naughty.gif )

For one, most people here will recommend you eat some sprouted-grain bread, which I think runs for about $6 a loaf, which is pretty ridiculous. I've yet to drop this low and start spending double what I currently spend for bread. Some people will tell you that you can eat Whole Grain breads, which is what I do. Still can't tell if they are making my face worse or not. You just need to eat tons of chicken or fish, rice, fruit, and veggies. I'm still struggling with finding good foods to eat...good luck.

For one, most people here will recommend you eat some sprouted-grain bread, which I think runs for about $6 a loaf, which is pretty ridiculous.  I've yet to drop this low and start spending double what I currently spend for bread.  Some people will tell you that you can eat Whole Grain breads, which is what I do.  Still can't tell if they are making my face worse or not.  You just need to eat tons of chicken or fish, rice, fruit, and veggies.  I'm still struggling with finding good foods to eat...good luck.

I pay $2.89 for a loaf of Ezekial sprouted grain bread... no yeast, no sugars. That's as much as any "whole grain" loaf would cost. I suppose I could get Wonderbread for cheaper, but I'll pass.

? I get 100% whole garin breads, 12 grains, Winnipeg Rye, etc... with no sugar and some have no gluten(Obviously no wheat), for 1.00-1.50 a loaf(Large loafs). I can get them at health food stores, co-ops, large stores like Safeway, Sobeys etc... I can get them at my hometown bakery for much less but this is what I pay for in the city.

I'm from Canada as well and we pay more for everything so I don't understand how you guys pay so much. DO you mail order bread(How can you not like it fresh that morning)? DO you just shop at overpriced health food stores?

Consider yourself lucky, then BBB. I've never seen Winnipeg Rye. I don't mail order any food. I get it at a co op. But even if I buy fresh baked at the farmer's market or at a bakery, it still costs at least $2. We do have some great organic bakeries here, but none that make sprouted grain bread, which seems to be all I can tolerate. Which city do you live in, BBB?

? I get 100% whole garin breads, 12 grains, Winnipeg Rye,  etc... with no sugar and some have no gluten(Obviously no wheat), for 1.00-1.50 a loaf(Large loafs). I can get them at health food stores, co-ops, large stores like Safeway, Sobeys etc... I can get them at my hometown bakery for much less but this is what I pay for in the city.

I'm from Canada as well and we pay more for everything so I don't understand how you guys pay so much. DO you mail order bread(How can you not like it fresh that morning)? DO you just shop at overpriced health food stores?

There's sugar in our breads, just not all. It's certainly easy to walk into Safeway and get about 12 different kinds of in store baked breads, about 4 of which have no sugar and many other have sugar as the 8th ingredient (I usually buy breads with various grains in them).

Perhaps people like their bread with no sugar, as it tastes more wholesome(I like sourdough for this reason). It's good with soups, italian food and such.

As for trans fats, our governmnet recently banned them and they are starting to phase them out of all foods up here. Cookies, brownies, all that pre packaged food, it all will be trans fat free. Fast food joints will all have trans fats phased out. Of course some thigns like dairy and meats have naturally occuring trans fats the rule will be though no added trans fats, either in Canada or anywhere else and shipped to Canada as a finished product.

I don't know what a CSA is. Our Co-op is as big as safeway(Bigger in many cases) and there are like 5 in our city.

Our heinz does have liquid sugar. 3rd ingredient. Many of our products have sugar in them. From a insulin response standpoint, most all carbs other than veggies(Includes brown rice, fruits, etc...) cause a large insulin response as does protein like meats, fich, and eggs (Lentils are bad for this because they are high in protein and carbs). Taking that into consideration, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. The fats may help reduce the response but I don't want to live off of veggies, nor is it sustainable.

Ya, our soda doesn't have HFCS in it. For that reason whenever we go to our cabin in the states we drink diet or bring our own as the difference in taste is like night and day. I can actually finish a can of coke up here without getting sick.

Other than that our products are the same as yours(Well our meat and dairy don't have growth hormones and much of our beef is raised on prairie grass).

As far as sugar goes we are pretty much the same as you, except less HFCS. The reason there is a diabetic and obesity epidemic now is not because of all our sugary foods. We consume the same amount of sugar and calories as we did 30,40 years ago, we have replaced exercise with sitting around. It's already changed so much since I was little as we were way more active, playing soccer even in the Canadian winter. Nowadays many kids are lazy, as are the adults. What does that tell you about the importantce of exercise on IR?

There's sugar in our breads, just not all. It's certainly easy to walk into Safeway and get about 12 different kinds of in store baked breads, about 4 of which have no sugar and many other have sugar as the 8th ingredient (I usually buy breads with various grains in them).

Perhaps people like their bread with no sugar, as it tastes more wholesome(I like sourdough for this reason). It's good with soups, italian food and such.

As for trans fats, our governmnet recently banned them and they are starting to phase them out of all foods up here. Cookies, brownies, all that pre packaged food, it all will be trans fat free. Fast food joints will all have trans fats phased out. Of course some thigns like dairy and meats have naturally occuring trans fats the rule will be though no added trans fats, either in Canada or anywhere else and shipped to Canada as a finished product.

I don't know what a CSA is. Our Co-op is as big as safeway(Bigger in many cases) and there are like 5 in our city.

Our heinz does have liquid sugar. 3rd ingredient. Many of our products have sugar in them. From a insulin response standpoint, most all carbs other than veggies(Includes brown rice, fruits, etc...) cause a large insulin response as does protein like meats, fich, and eggs (Lentils are bad for this because they are high in protein and carbs). Taking that into consideration, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. The fats may help reduce the response but I don't want to live off of veggies, nor is it sustainable.

Ya, our soda doesn't have HFCS in it. For that reason whenever we go to our cabin in the states we drink diet or bring our own as the difference in taste is like night and day. I can actually finish a can of coke up here without getting sick.

Other than that our products are the same as yours(Well our meat and dairy don't have growth hormones and much of our beef is raised on prairie grass).

As far as sugar goes we are pretty much the same as you, except less HFCS. The reason there is a diabetic and obesity epidemic now is not because of all our sugary foods. We consume the same amount of sugar and calories as we did 30,40 years ago, we have replaced exercise with sitting around. It's already changed so much since I was little as we were way more active, playing soccer even in the Canadian winter. Nowadays many kids are lazy, as are the adults. What does that tell you about the importantce of exercise on IR?

Everything I eat contains some amount of bread for example pizza, hamburgers, tortas(mexican hamburger basiclly) penut butter jelly sandwhich and the list goes on and on..... what can I eat thats somewhat healthy and doesnt have bread in it or as a side order?(olive garden salad bread sticks eusa_naughty.gif )

However, for the moment, the only thing I'm thinking about currently changing dietwise based on the II are my consumption of potatos. 

We already know that your soft drinks usually don't contain HFCS, but what about your other goods?  Breads, you say that grocery store bread has no sugar or only what you get from a market, bakery or health food store?  Over here, sugar is added to most bread products as are trans fats.  I had to teach a class on IR and decided to go to the several grocery stores so I could give them a list of foods that they could eat that followed general healthy criteria.  100% whole grain or sprouted and absolutely no HFCS or Trans Fats, but I had to bend on added sugars like Cane Juice or Honey when it came to breads otherwise there were only like 2 brands (fresh artisan breads) they could eat. 

Thanxs

Oh, half my extended family are farmers so.... I can also tell you that the farmers are making a killing from these people (Unless you get the veggies dirt cheap). Maybe I should tell my relatives to do this.

Oh, half my extended family are farmers so.... I can also tell you that the farmers are making a killing from these people (Unless you get the veggies dirt cheap). Maybe I should tell my relatives to do this.

1. Only a few crops make a lot of money. I agree though that farming is noble and they should make more money. It's hard work for the months that they are farming and in the winter most are working on their equipment(A used combine costs like $100,000), or they are working another job.

2. They aren't doing CSA out of the goodness of thier hearts, they are doing it because they can make a lot more money. They aren't dealing with 4 intermediaries as many produce farmers have to, they are selling right to the customers who are paying competitive prices to the supermarket, if a bit lower. The farmer gets the difference that would normally go to all the intermediaries. Even better if they get the city folk to come out and tend to their little plot or whatever. Just means that the land is getting pampered, and it's a clever way to do it because the farmer reaps the long term rewards of rich topsoil and the city people thinks it's great working the land (Cheap labour is always welcome). Unless this isn't part of a CSA.

You'd be surprised at how much a ton of any produce costs to grow compared to what you pay for your little basket each week.

Of course they're doing it so they can make more money. That's why anyone in business does anything. Many are doing it because it KEEPS them in business. The county I live in and the one just to the south of us have the most organic farms per land area in the US. It's CSAs and the farmers' markets that keep them alive. Like you say, cut out the middlemen.

Haha, not many, if any, of the customers come out to do any work. That's not really part of the deal in most cases. Most have money and that's why they can do the share thing. Poor people, like me, go out and there and work and get veggies that way.

I know how much it costs to grow vegetables, disversified crops anyway, I don't know anything about monoculture. I've done the numbers, and I've been involved in the bookkeeping.

is the added milk component in bread significant enough to make a person breakout?

is the added milk component in bread significant enough to make a person breakout?

Well....The bread that I used to eat...unknowingly contained:

Sugar and/or Frucotose/HFCS

Trans Fats

Dairy

ALL of them seperately break me out (and I can instantly detect when I've consume dairy products based on a mucuous reaction that develops). However, to this day I do not honestly know if Wheat actually does, but I know those ingredients do. I know that according to other members of this board they can't handle Wheat/Gluten and sometimes not even Sprouted Wheat/Gluten Grains....but once again....usually they are consuming a product that contains at least oneof the above ingredients.

On the other hand, if you believe the blood type diets, than a person such as myself, a Type O, is intolerant to gluten proteins and if consumed will lead me down a path of Insulin Resistance (already there) and even worse...Type II Diabetes. Furthermore, some (Type II) Diabetics and others that used to Low Carb discovered that they don't neccessarily have to if they just go Gluten Free (or grain free). Not to mention even blood Types A, have found that if they go Gluten-Free, their acne also clears up.

Along with the above, there's also the argument that gluten grains contain the yeast (which makes it rise) that can cause some people health problems and that gluten is a glycoprotein (some can be allergenic) that can mimic insulin. I think I once found maybe 1 or 2 studies that slightly suggest gluten's insulin mimicking abilities. Yet I did find a study that said that Semi-refined Wheat was much higher at spiking Insulin, IGF-1, and Testosterone than was Semi-refined rice...but again I don't know how they preparied these grains.

So there's still a slight mystery there for some of us. Yes there are Wheat products that don't contain the above. These are usually pastas and some artisan made breads. So if anyone is truly interested in knowing if wheat breaks them out or not...that is what they would have to consume in order to properly test it out.

Kinda help? :)

The ebst sprouted wehat bread I've found is Trader's Joes. Just make sure it's the one with no other wheat products (since that owuld defeat the purpose of the sprouted wheat)

Look around at some food allergy web sites, they usually have some good recipe ideas. For pasta, try rice pasta (again, the best is Trader Joes).