Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KLT

My B5 Experience and questions...

Ok so my skin was really flaring up the last couple of months (mild-moderate), and after browsing some forums i came across the treatment of mega dosing on Vit B5. It seemed like alot of people were getting good results from it. Didnt like the idea of swallowing like 20 pills a day, and was quite scared of all the mentioned side affects, but I thought what the hell lemme try it anyway.

So I went out and bought what seemed like enough B5 to take down a small elephant smile.gif Started my dose out at 3 g's and then went upto 10g per day. Been doing that for the last 6 weeks. There was an intial break out - which was quite bad, but cleared after about 10 days. After about a week and a half my skin was definitly not oily anymore (used to get quite oily skin - especially at the end of the day). Havent experienced any bad side affects at all.

I take one B Complex tablet per day

One biotin tablet b4 bed (Some users on the forum recommend one tablet per dosage of B5 to prevent side affects - but one tablet a day works fine for me)

Then 4 doses of Solgar 2.5 G's of Vit B5 with meals.

The B5 has definitly cleared my skin (50-60%) - but it is not perfect and i still get occasional break outs. I dont think B5 is a miracle cure (was hoping it to be...) But really does help with my skins oiliness.

Ive added to the B5 now with flaxseed oil 3 caps, 3 times per day (Was recommended by someone on the forum) - been doing it for the last couple of days and my skin seems to be getting better. Also switched to a SA scrub (Loreal Pure Zone) in the last week. We'll see how these work out.

Ok so thats the background, here some questions for the B5 "veterans"

1. Is there a real difference between brands? Has anyone tried Solgar B5 - What do you think of it?

2. What is your average maintenance dose per day in grams?- Ive been doing it for 6 weeks now and I think my body is "topped up" on B5 (I know 3 months is the recommended duration) I want to start cutting back on it.

3. Has anyone been using this long term (6 months+ maintenance dose) with success? Or does your body build up a resistance to it and stops working after a while?

Dont think B5 is the miracle cure ive been hoping for. Just aiming to control my breakouts now with supplements(like vitamins and EFA's) and washes with BP or SA.

Thanks..

Isn't the B complex pills the same as a multivitamin?

I read the percentage of vitamins in each of the pills and it looks like Multivitamins are better than B complex and plus B complex pills are pretty more expensive then multivitamins!

I'm currently using Swiss NAtural Timed Released at 2 gr's a day so far my face hasn't been oily but im just on day 4 now so i'll see how it goes..

I dont think taking a multi vitamin that includes everything is as good as taking a B Complex. Im taking a B Complex 100 (High Potency) - sounds pretty good tongue.gif

To answer your questions...

1) From what I've read, the brand *does* make a difference. What also might make a difference is capsule vs. powder form. Powder supposedly is easier to absorb and therefore more effective. I personally use Solgar B5 capsules and they work pretty well.

2) I started B5 about one year ago. I'm now down to 2.5g per day as a 'maintenance dose'.

3) B5 still *seems* effective, but I haven't totally gone off of it to test it. Like with you, I didn't notice complete clearing from B5 - just help with oiliness and decrease in acne. To get rid of the rest of my acne, I've been using flaxseed oil (1 tablespoon daily in liquid form, mixed with juice), Duac (benzoyl peroxide + clindamycin) topical, and Retin-A topical. All of them help with my acne. I've also been doing the liver flushes, which have helped as well. That regimen has kept me 95% clear.

Good luck!

B5 worked for me...I have been on 10g for about 2-3 months now and I am 99% clear....I also take a multi vitamin and b complex with it and use a glycolic peel once a week!! Nothing else has made such a difference in my skin.

To answer your questions...

1) From what I've read, the brand *does* make a difference.  What also might make a difference is capsule vs. powder form.  Powder supposedly is easier to absorb and therefore more effective.  I personally use Solgar B5 capsules and they work pretty well.

2) I started B5 about one year ago.  I'm now down to 2.5g per day as a 'maintenance dose'.

3) B5 still *seems* effective, but I haven't totally gone off of it to test it.  Like with you, I didn't notice complete clearing from B5 - just help with oiliness and decrease in acne.  To get rid of the rest of my acne, I've been using flaxseed oil (1 tablespoon daily in liquid form, mixed with juice), Duac (benzoyl peroxide + clindamycin) topical, and Retin-A topical.  All of them help with my acne.  I've also been doing the liver flushes, which have helped as well.  That regimen has kept me 95% clear.

Good luck!