Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
troublefree

Redness after scab fell off prematurely

Hi, I'm relatively new to this board, but just wanted to ask you guys and gals something that's been bothering me for a long time now. About 10 months ago, I had a scab from a zit that I popped. The scab basically came off a little to early, and since then the area has been red. it's a very small area, but it was very red at the beginning. My derm gave me some hydrocortisone creame which did nothing, so I stopped using that after 3 weeks. Over the last 10 months, the area has faded a lot, and I mean sometimes it's barely visible. But when I take a shower or after a day in the office, the moisture and oil in my skin makes it red again. This happens even when I workout in the gym. Am I being too impatient? should I give it more time? Or will that area always be like that when I sweat or wash my face? I'm a asian male in my mid 20's with very pale skin. Is there anything I can do or jsut wait? Thanks in advance.

Hey I know exactly what your talking about...however mine are due to picking the scabs before they are ready to come off. Sounds like this is not a regular problem for you so microdermabrasion (which is what faded my red marks significantly) is probably a little extreme. My advice (from much experience) is to avoid exfoliating your face (or that area) because any new healing skin that is developing over that red mark will be scraped away and it will be bright red again. That means no scrubs or abrasive face washes. Also apply neosporin, or any triple antibiotic ointment to the red spot in the morning and at night. That should help it heal and because it sounds mild it should be gone pretty quick. hope that helps! good luck!

Thanks for replying. But will applying neosporin help with the redness 10 months after the scab fell off? The wound is completely healed now, not raised and completely flat, but the skin on that area just seems maybe thinner? I will take your advice on not scrubbing that area, which is what I've been doing for the last couple months. Anything else I should be doing?

- Copper peptide products at www.skinbiology.com help with skin remodelling. I use the serum and it still takes some time for healing to occur.

- 100% aloe vera gel helps with skin healing.

- Beurer Softlaser. Treat area 6 minutes 2 to 3 times a day. I've noticed some healing of various types of scars but, again, it takes time. It works by encouraging collagen production - a building block of skin.

- Emu oil also encourages collagen production, skin healing and thickening of skin.

- Products with the latest peptide technologies also help skin heal.