Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phil_b

accutane disaster

well, 3 weeks into my accutane course. Everything was amazing. my face has cleared up A LOT. another month and i would surely be 100% at this rate.

I was feeling on top of the world and back to my old self.

but..... 4 days ago I developed a constant hissing sound in my right ear, and it hasnt left.

I beleive i have tinnitus, which is pretty much a perminant ringing/hissing/humming in the ear that is uncurable, you just have to 'learn to live with it'....

its really quite loud and i can hear it above many things. bedtime and sleep used to be one of my fave things, my bed was my sanctuary of peace, but now that silence is a thing of the past i can barely sleep.

so i have stopped accutane (even tho it wasnt working miracles for my skin) and now have to deal with something i never thought i would, something worse than acne, where there is no escape or releif.

I almost fully attribute the onset of tinnitus to accutane. Not that i am against accutane, it also worked wonders for me 4 years ago with no ill effects. but this time i am one of the very unlucky few to get this shit. oh well......

sad.gif

Sorry to hear your story, but look up on other peoples regimen and see which is most popular and sucessful. After 1 course of accutane your acne shouldn't be that bad and maybe you could resort back to BP? or try more traditional methods.

I have that noise in my ears too. I had it a bit before accutane. but now it's really loud at night.

But I am not stopping. It's not worth losing clear skin over. To me anyway. Good luck with other treatments.

I have very good news. My son had such tinnitus that we went through ear tests, etc... and a lot of misery on his part. He did some research and came up with this. He has been doing it for about 3 months and I promise you it has made such a difference. He was never on accutane but still, I thought you would appreciate the informaton.

"It can be concluded that patients with tinnitus may have low blood zinc levels (31%) and clinical and subjective improvement can be achieved by oral zinc medication."

Arda HN, Tuncel U, Akdogan O, Ozluoglu LN.

Department of Ear, Nose, Throat, Head and Neck Surgery, Ankara Numune Research and Education Hospital, Turkey. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: This study was designed to investigate the role of zinc administration in treatment of tinnitus.

STUDY DESIGN: Randomized, prospective, placebo-controlled study.

SETTING: Patients with tinnitus were admitted to the ear, nose, and throat clinic of the authors' hospital.

PATIENTS: Patients with tinnitus with no know pathologic conditions of the ear, nose, and throat; the mean age of 28 patients receiving zinc was 51.2 years, and that of 13 patients given placebo was 55 years.

INTERVENTION: Blood zinc levels were measured. Frequency was detected by audiometry, and loudness of tinnitus was screened by tinnitus match test.

A questionnaire that scored tinnitus subjectively between 0 and 7 was given to patients before zinc treatment. After 2 months of treatment (zinc 50 mg daily to zinc group, placebo pill containing starch to placebo group), all of the tests were performed again.

There was no difference in age, sex, duration of tinnitus, and affected ears between the patients treated with zinc and those treated with placebo. Blood zinc levels were lower than normal in 31% of patients before treatment.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: A decrease in tinnitus loudness by at least 10 dB was accepted as clinically favorable progress. A decrease of more than 1 point in subjective tinnitus scoring was accepted as valid. RESULTS: Clinically favorable progress was detected in 46.4% of patients given zinc.

Although this decrease was not statistically significant, the severity of subjective tinnitus decreased in 82% of the patients receiving zinc.

The mean of subjective tinnitus decreased from 5.25 +/- 1.08 to 2.82 +/- 1.81 ( < 0.001). However, the decrease in severity of the tinnitus was not significant in patients receiving placebo.

CONCLUSION: It can be concluded that patients with tinnitus may have low blood zinc levels (31%) and clinical and subjective improvement can be achieved by oral zinc medication. However, it remains to be seen whether the longer duration of treatment has more significant results.

Publication Types:

Clinical Trial

Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 12544035 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.alphatinnitusformulas.com/tinnitus_zinc.asp#1

You will find other websites that say the same thing. Even ones that don't sell any zinc. Also, strange to note that often those with low zinc levels have acne as well. Hope this helps as I know he suffered, believe me, so did we as he was very worried about it.

I have very good news.  My son had such tinnitus that we went through ear tests, etc... and a lot of misery on his part.  He did some research and came up with this.  He has been doing it for about 3 months and I promise you it has made such a difference.  He was never on accutane but still, I thought you would appreciate the informaton.

"It can be concluded that patients with tinnitus may have low blood zinc levels (31%) and clinical and subjective improvement can be achieved by oral zinc medication."

Arda HN, Tuncel U, Akdogan O, Ozluoglu LN.

Department of Ear, Nose, Throat, Head and Neck Surgery, Ankara Numune Research and Education Hospital, Turkey. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: This study was designed to investigate the role of zinc administration in treatment of tinnitus.

STUDY DESIGN: Randomized, prospective, placebo-controlled study.

SETTING: Patients with tinnitus were admitted to the ear, nose, and throat clinic of the authors' hospital.

PATIENTS: Patients with tinnitus with no know pathologic conditions of the ear, nose, and throat; the mean age of 28 patients receiving zinc was 51.2 years, and that of 13 patients given placebo was 55 years.

INTERVENTION: Blood zinc levels were measured. Frequency was detected by audiometry, and loudness of tinnitus was screened by tinnitus match test.

A questionnaire that scored tinnitus subjectively between 0 and 7 was given to patients before zinc treatment. After 2 months of treatment (zinc 50 mg daily to zinc group, placebo pill containing starch to placebo group), all of the tests were performed again.

There was no difference in age, sex, duration of tinnitus, and affected ears between the patients treated with zinc and those treated with placebo. Blood zinc levels were lower than normal in 31% of patients before treatment.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: A decrease in tinnitus loudness by at least 10 dB was accepted as clinically favorable progress. A decrease of more than 1 point in subjective tinnitus scoring was accepted as valid. RESULTS: Clinically favorable progress was detected in 46.4% of patients given zinc.

Although this decrease was not statistically significant, the severity of subjective tinnitus decreased in 82% of the patients receiving zinc.

The mean of subjective tinnitus decreased from 5.25 +/- 1.08 to 2.82 +/- 1.81 ( < 0.001). However, the decrease in severity of the tinnitus was not significant in patients receiving placebo.

CONCLUSION: It can be concluded that patients with tinnitus may have low blood zinc levels (31%) and clinical and subjective improvement can be achieved by oral zinc medication. However, it remains to be seen whether the longer duration of treatment has more significant results.

Publication Types:

Clinical Trial

Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 12544035 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.alphatinnitusformulas.com/tinnitus_zinc.asp#1

You will find other websites that say the same thing.  Even ones that don't sell any zinc.  Also, strange to note that often those with low zinc levels have acne as well.  Hope this helps as I know he suffered, believe me, so did we as he was very worried about it.

hey phil_b. It's possible that it started as a minor ringing before, you thought it was due to accutane.. so you were always trying to find the sound in your ears. As someone has told me, it's like your body thinks that you cannot survive without it, and causes the ears to ring.

When by ears were ringing for two days, I just blocked the sound with music and did something interesting. I got my mind off it, forgot about it, and it all stopped...

Maybe not though.. mine was not that loud.

I hope you talked to your derm before stopping. Maybe he would suggest taking you off it for a week or so.

Guest Craigems

One of our moderators stopped as a result of accutane causing this. I think he still has it, but it subsided after a month of not taking tane. I dont think he's back on it again tho. Anyways take it up with your derm ... sorry to hear this.

(the mod was "Getting there")

Can you give us more information -- how long was your first course and at what dosage. And what dose were you on when the hissing began.

Let's hope it subsides since you stopped the course so quickly

hey phil, like you I got tinnitus from accutane too. I stopped tane about 6 weeks ago now because of the tinnitus.

I've got some good news and some bad news for you. First, the bad news - it still hasn't gone away.

Now the good news - it is definitely better now than it was when I first got it. Like you, when I went to bed I had this massive ringing in my ears and couldn't stand it. It really made me feel like 'oh wtf have I gone and done to myself?'. After the initial shock set in, it became much less of an issue.

My number one tip is to get a radio in your room and just put it on low volume when you go to bed at night. It helps, believe me.

The tinnitus now is certainly not as bad as it was when I first got it. I'm still hoping that it will eventually go away as my body readjusts to not having accutane in it, as it does seem to be fading gradually with time. It's a bitch, and it is a real shock when you first get it, but believe me it becomes much less of an issue with time.

Anyway if you have any questions or anything just ask.

Phil- I am so sorry to hear this happened!!!! I hope that it stops as soon as the accutane gets out of your system. You're going to be okay.. Just take the advice from GettingThere. I've heard that playing soft sounds in the background of a quiet room will really help, as well as pretending you don't hear it. I doubt this will be permanent for you. Just stay positive and try not to worry. Alot of accutane side effects diminish as the drug leaves the body.

Good luck, hun- I wish you the best.

thanks very much for all the comments guys!

Im soo destryed by this. Things were amazing for the 3 days i axperienced bumpless skin and huge sense of 'things are better!'.....

I now no longer care about my skin at all. i dont even check in mirrors anymore. I was obsessed with my skin, with it always on my mind but i now realise what a trivial nothing it was.

I no longer remember what silence is. My bed used to be my sanctuary of peace and quiet, now its a device of torture. My tinnitus is very loud and i can think of little else.

acne had me floored for a long time with depression, anxiety and stress, which was finally releived from improvement. now this is 100 times worse than all that. I just cant beleive this is happening to me.

How can i possibly live a long happy life with this???

ive moved from practically living at acne.org to never coming here and living at a tinnitus sufferers board instead!!! kinda funny in one respect.

thanks for your input 'gettingthere'. I fully expect this to last, though the thought of having tinnitus for the rest of my days (im 23) is horrific and awefull. Ive tried having the radio on inbetween stations etc for white noise but it doesnt help a great deal.

Theres also the fact that, accutane, which was clearing my skin incredibly well, i can now not take. although i arent certain this caused the 'T'.

perhaps its just coincidence me and you got tinnitus at the same time as accutane treatment? I mean, i had only been on accutane 3 weeks.... but i know thats long enough, in that time i had dried out a lot and got other side effects etc.

arrrrghhhhh, at least with acne, it was treatable/more or less curable. tinnitus has no cure, and treatment is minimal to nill.....

When i went on accutane 4 years ago, i was on it 8 months, 40mg, 60mg in the last few months. with no ill effects. I thought, well surely it will be the same easy ride, right?

I guess ive learned its dangers the hard way, tho as i say, im not entirely sure or convinced the T came on from accutane.

it is strange that you got this on your second course! I mean it should work the same all the time!

Isn't there any treatments for the T? There must be.

I'm sorry for what I said earlier. I never realised how bad it could be. I guess this is the ignorance of non-sufferer, just like the ignorance of people without acne.

You were only on for 3 weeks, i highly doubt it will be permanent.

I was on for a year (not consecutively), off and on, low-dose, did half of the cumulative course, and my sides are diminishing after 2 weeks...

meh, **** this bullshit drug.

thing is, any damage done to the inner ear, be it coclear, to the auditary nerves or otherwise, is irriversable. So im not sure about that.

ah well, sh*t happens and as humans we adapt.

As i say though, im not sure it was the accutane. Within those 3 weeks i had barley any active acne left on my face and red marks had faded dramatically. if it werent for the Tinnitus i would be on top of the world, and almost certainly clear in another few weeks.

skin wise, acctane works miracles, regardless of wether or not is causes these other issues.

thing is, any damage done to the inner ear, be it coclear, to the auditary nerves or otherwise, is irriversable. So im not sure about that.

ah well, sh*t happens and as humans we adapt.

As i say though, im not sure it was the accutane. Within those 3 weeks i had barley any active acne left on my face and red marks had faded dramatically. if it werent for the Tinnitus i would be on top of the world, and almost certainly clear in another few weeks.

skin wise, acctane works miracles, regardless of wether or not is causes these other issues.

Who cares if it works miracles if you're ****ed for life?

If I were you I would sue the **** out of Roche, this drug is prescribed wrongly far too often and the side effects are not stressed at all....Trust me, if you have unusual things happening in your body, it's the accutane. It's not the most controversial drug for no reason.

Man what is wrong with you? In case you haven't noticed, people here literally make their derms give them accutane.

Phil, go to a doctor anyway. He can see if it's from accutane or not.

I'm really sorry you got this. Today me ears rang twice, but mild and for like 1-20 seconds. I  hope it's not the beginning of T. How did your start?

I noticed mine immediately after blowing my nose, and its lasted since. though i doubt blowing my nose would have caused this some how, it may have been the trigger.

it didnt start off with 1-20 second bursts or anything

Sorry to hear about the ringing Phil. I know how hard it is to try to stay positive about this subsiding over time when you are feeling so miserable, but I think thats whats going to happen. I mean you only took it for 3 weeks, you stopped right away, and from what I have read from others with this problem it gets better with time. Try to be patient and give it some time and it WILL get better.

Sending good thoughts your way.

thanks again for the comments

Im finding it hard to be positive really. im just thinking several events have conspired to cause this.

firstly, 2 years ago, i was mountain biking in a local forest without a helmet and came off atempting something insane. I smashed my head on concrete, ended up with blood pouring out of the effected ear, slight hearing loss in it, and being hospitalised for 3 days with a fractured skull.

I think the huge stress and anxiety from the acne + lack of sleep + accutane has triggered the onset of T which could largely be to do with my damaged ear drum.

Without all that, but just accutane i would prob be fine with near clear skin right now. ggrrrr...

Im thinkin im stuck with this banshee screaming inside my head forever more to be realistic, how lovely.... just dont know whether or not to start the accutane again.... It was working awesome on my skin. dont want tinnitus with acne too...

just 1 week with T and i have completely forgotten what silence is, and realise how we truly take it for granted, as with everything else in life untill it goes wrong...

To conclude with something positive to all you acne sufferers, look up, it could be worse, at least your problem WILL GET BETTER, it wont last forever. there are 1 million and 1 things worse that could happen. Just truck on and you will find your peace, i just hope i can find mine....

P

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objec...EC80987FAC1D649

If you haven't already been there, that link may help slightly. I was there a few days ago because I've developed a hissing noise in my ears (not related to Accutane) and I found the link to be helpful. They offer several different reasons as to why you may have tinnitus, and ways to treat it.

If this alleviates your worries at all, the website says this is a cause of tinnitus:

"Long-term use of certain medications. Aspirin used in large doses and certain types of antibiotics can affect inner ear cells. Often the unwanted noise disappears when you stop using these drugs."

I know tinnitus can be a pain. My mother is deaf in her left ear from Meniere's disease, and the only thing she can "hear" in that ear is a dull buzzing noise. She's had to deal with it for over 20 years, and she says that it can be very difficult sometimes.

I wish you the best, and I do hope that it subsides over time. Just hang in there. :/

Oh man, I really hope you get better.

I had T in my left ear after my dentist filled a cavity in the top left side of my mouth.

It drove me absolutely insane.

I cried.

But it's gone. Don't worry, you'll probally get better.

-alisha

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objec...EC80987FAC1D649

If you haven't already been there, that link may help slightly. I was there a few days ago because I've developed a hissing noise in my ears (not related to Accutane) and I found the link to be helpful. They offer several different reasons as to why you may have tinnitus, and ways to treat it.

If this alleviates your worries at all, the website says this is a cause of tinnitus:

"Long-term use of certain medications. Aspirin used in large doses and certain types of antibiotics can affect inner ear cells. Often the unwanted noise disappears when you stop using these drugs."

I know tinnitus can be a pain. My mother is deaf in her left ear from Meniere's disease, and the only thing she can "hear" in that ear is a dull buzzing noise. She's had to deal with it for over 20 years, and she says that it can be very difficult sometimes.

I wish you the best, and I do hope that it subsides over time. Just hang in there. :/

I'm sitting in this room with the television on at a normal volume, and I can still hear the hissing in my ears. However, it doesn't really bother me all that much. It's there; it's relatively loud, but... I'll take the hissing over one of my migraines ANY DAY. tongue.gif

As for what has caused it, I don't know. Next time I visit my doctor I'm going to mention it to him. It could be from the minocycline. I've been on it for several months now. Then again, it could be from something stupid like a build up of earwax, which the website says is a culprit. Gross, but I wouldn't overlook it. Who knows? I thought maybe it was loud music so I stopped listening to music really loud for a while... but that didn't change anything.

I do hope that yours goes away, since it is bothering you so much. If it's distracting you from everyday life, then it's advisable that you see a doc. Again, good luck with everything!