Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whatsup

Psychological Acne

I want to bring up a point thats not really mentioned on this board. Getting rid of acne is not easy, but how come??? We eat healthy, we exercise, we fast (atleast some of us), but why isn't our acne coming completely under our control. Well let me show you something thats pretty interesting.

" I took my subject to a deep theta level. Even though he was deeply hypnotized, he had his eyes open and was watching me. Then I told him that I was going to touch him with a red hot iron. I picked up a piece of stainless steel with a pair of pliers, and touched the back of his hand with it. Even though the piece of stainless steel was not hot, when I touched him with it, he screamed. He felt the burn. He felt the heat...he experienced a positive hallucination...he was sensing more than what was there. The piece of stainless steel was still at room temperature. Not only did he feel the pain, his body responded as if it has been burned. Ninety percent of the subjects you do this to develop a little red spot, little red dot, as if they were burned with boiling water, or something like that. Ten percent develop a blister. I was lucky to see that phenomenon. My subject developed a blister. I asked myself, "What happened here? I didn't burn him. Did I fool the healing process, the natural healing process of the body, to send healing chemistry to a spot that did not need it?" I realized that that's exactly what happened. My suggestion caused his healing mechanism to build a blister, build new skin under it, and get rid of that burned skin. But the skin was not actually burned. Then I wondered, "Could we send in extra healing chemistry to accelerate the healing process? "

I got that paragraph from http://www.ultramind.ws/hypnosis.htm, not that its a great website it was just the first i could find on the subject.

A lot of friends that i know that cleared there skin told me they just forgot about acne and it just went away. Maybe this is one of the big reasons why acne stays with some people and goes away for others. We all know stress effects our skin and thats just stress in general. But most, if not all of us, stress over our acne. Don't you think that would make our acne worse as opposed to just regular stress. Specifically stressing over acne brings a link from your brain to your skin. My idea of approaching this would be to do whatever it takes for you to get your mind off your skin and if u do think about your skin start ingraining it into your head that your skin is clear or you could say you love your skin and dont hope for things like you want your skin to clear up because once you think like that your mind will automatically know you think something is wrong with your skin right now.

People give me your insight on this subject. I just thought about this a few minutes ago so i dont know much about this, just makes a lot of sense to me. take care byee eusa_angel.gif

The mind over matter theory - totally, totally possible. The human brain is the most complex and least understood part of the body. What we do know about it is that we use less than 10% to function phsyically and reason intellectually, so in theory the possibilities are truly endless - telekeniseis, telepathy and self healing could all be perfectly real phenomena if an individual was able to harness the full potential of their mind.

Interesting idea Whatsup, and I had'nt thought of it in these simple terms before i.e. just 'forgetting' about it and it will go away - makes alot of sense. I had always assumed that hypnotherapy or such like would be needed to harness the powers of the mind, but why should'nt it be something as simple as just ignoring the problem? It is the same principle as emotional intelligence which some people have to a greater degree than others - if you experience an emotional crisis the best way of dealing with it is through distraction - keep yourself busy and ease the pain!

Certainly my skin has always been at its worst when I most obsess and stress over it. Recently I have just finished a fasting detox which has given me a new mental and physical clarity and I am not thinking about my skin at all, which is a something completely new for me, and low and behold, my skin is absolutely fantastic -probably alot to do with the detox on a physical level, but possibly also related to the way that I am feeling mentally as well...who knows eh?

Would'nt it be great though if we could all cure ourselves of every ailment by simply 'thinking' ourselves better, or for those with more severe problems a quick trip to the hypnotherapist? No more drugs, no more nasty side effects, no more pharmecutical companies rackin it in?.....heaven!!! eusa_angel.gif

Great post!

I agree as well. I think this is something we forget in the process of trying to find ways to get rid of our acne when we are stressing about it and it is constantly on our minds. I know for a fact that my acne gets worse when I am stressed or my body has gone through some physical stress (i was in a car accident which caused a serious injury and a few weeks later i had the worst breakout i have ever ever ever had!) and on top of that when i stress about it, it makes it so much worse. I would not doubt that acne has a physchological connection because our acne looks worse to us then I think other people. BEfore the only time i got any breakouts was a week or so before "tom" and they were soo minor but I would be stressed trying to get rid of them and that always flared another few bumps on my face. I've done all the fasting, and dieting and although these do help me, its not very significant. I dont eat an unhealthy diet, drink lots and lots of water and due to more personal and spiritual beliefs, I fast seldomly but nothing makes my acne worse than me worrying about it and constantly trying to fix the problem. I was looking at pictures from the past year and there were pictures at a friends party where that week I was having a breakout on my jaw and looking at them now I could nto even tell! And at that time I was stressing about like you would not believe, I've always thought my acne to be worse than it is and when I finally learned that I was making a bigger deal out of it then it was and stopped worrying about, the few tiny pimples that i get on my jaw monthly go away faster than i can blink! Simply because i'm not concentrating on it.

It's always said that if you feel good on the inside than your outside reflects your inside and its true! Just like Whatsup said, taking your mind off your skin by telling yourself that your skin is good and although it may not solve the problem for everyone but mental and emotional peace is important and essential in treating or curing any problem : )

Stressing over your skin can worsen your condition and prevent its improvement by increasing production of cortisol and overexerting the adrenal glands, which has been physiologically implicated as a precursor to male sex hormone production in acne formation. Any connection beyond this is medically untenable, but there is a psychosomatic (bodymind) element to almost all illness, possibly including acne. It would be naive to suggest that all someone with disfiguring cystic acne need do to wake up one day with perfect skin is to forget about his acne when he looks in the mirror to brush his hair, but being able to regulate and balance the hypothalamic fight-or-flight response as neurochemically triggered via the pituitary gland and conveyed throughout the body via hormones in the bloodstream, further involving cortisol and the adrenal glands: doing this whether through yoga, meditation or exercise, can significantly alleviate what in many can be a key contributing factor to their acne. There is an interesting site on exactly this notion and worth a look, espousing the practice of SR or Skilled Relaxtion: http://askwaltstollmd.com/relax.html. It is worth going into the BB Search and entering "Acne". For the most part, however, acne results from overstimulation of oversensitive oil gland receptors by either excess or even normal levels of male sex hormones, and while stress can theoretically exacerbate this overstimulation, the underlying androgen imbalance will persist regardless of whether stress itself contributes. So being less stressed if you are will probably improve your skin, but many who aren't stressed to begin with can still have acne.

When I first came here this was the huge thing that I pushed; mind over matter. Constantly worrying about acne, what foods we eat(There's a point where it gets rediculous like when we eat one piece of chocolate and freak out and post it on the baord), constantly looking in the mirror, etc....

People I know have seen success with a certain line of CD's, that are sort of subliminal but a bit different. It is innertalk.com. I also pushed the idea of brain waves(Still do just not on this board), through the use of binaural beats. It's helped me in other areas quite well and the two mediums put together(Innertalk and binaural beats) produced an amazing effect(Not on acne because I don't have any but on other areas such as stress, healing, etc...).

I'll post a link for a free full length binaural beat mp3's that rae specifically designed to heal. It was crazy because as I was listening to it I fell asleep and slept for 14 hours the first day and every time I put it on I sleep for like 12 hours.

I was reading someones post in the emotional effects of acne section and someone said something about how acne is on there mind all the time. I definitely could relate to what that person was saying. Its like you don't even have to think about it, it becomes a part of you 24/7. Honestly i think this is one of the most difficult parts of dealing with acne is telling yourself something like your skin looks fine. Because not only do you have to tell yourself that, but you have to act the part as well. For example by making eye contact, lifting your head up more, socializing more, etc. All the things that acne stops you from doing you have to start doing. Take it one step at a time. Sooner or later your acne won't affect you as much as it does now and you'll be making progress. Stick with a healthy diet, fast sometimes, find a healthy regimen for your skin and your set. The key words there are "your set ". Be set with your plan and move on until one day a better plan is available. Commit to doing what you can at the moment. Don't continuously think about changing what you can't change. Be proud of yourself for taking care of your skin and health and move on. eusa_angel.gif

I was reading someones post in the emotional effects of acne section and someone said something about how acne is on there mind all the time.  I definitely could relate to what that person was saying.  Its like you don't even have to think about it, it becomes a part of you 24/7.  Honestly i think this is one of the most difficult parts of dealing with acne is telling yourself something like your skin looks fine.  Because not only do you have to tell yourself that, but you have to act the part as well.  For example by making eye contact, lifting your head up more, socializing more, etc.  All the things that acne stops you from doing you have to start doing.  Take it one step at a time.  Sooner or later your acne won't affect you as much as it does now and you'll be making progress. Stick with a healthy diet, fast sometimes, find a healthy regimen for your skin and your set. The key words there are "your set ".  Be set with your plan and move on until one day a better plan is available.  Commit to doing what you can at the moment. Don't continuously think about changing what you can't change.  Be proud of yourself for taking care of your skin and health and move on.  eusa_angel.gif

my anecdote is that stress has the biggest impact at least on my skin. more than anything. more than topicals, b5, diet changes, everything.

i go through periods, eg a month+ with no stress or worry wrt to my skin, and i get nothing. then ill have periods of stress due to work, and i will consequently breakout. then, i stress over the stress-related breakout, and it goes on.

hey thanks bexi for your comment eusa_angel.gif

I would say if your acne is particularly bad wait until the time when you feel your skin is doing better. We all know when those times are. It would be a lot of pressure to say the least to act as if acne doesn't bother you when your skin is close to its worst in your eyes. If you try not letting acne stress you out on any level when your skin is doing better than usual, you really have a good chance to make progress. I say that because even if you get a few more blemishes after not letting acne bother you, it might only affect you mentally as much as before you started with lesser acne. Hopefully that progress will continue till the end for all of us. eusa_pray.gif

What a great post. I definately think that making your mind calm and not obsessing over acne it will reduce it significantly. I do not think it will stop it all together, especially for teenagers, but not aggravate it, definately.

I was thinking of getting those InnerTalk CDs. I'd also really be interested in checking out those binaural beats.

I think stress is a bigger factor in adult and especially adult female acne than it is in adolescent acne, especially in contributing to the increasing prevalence of so-called "career acne" in older women.

Brainwave generator:

http://www.bwgen.com/theory.htm

SBaGen:

http://uazu.net/sbagen/

The above are free.

The one I have is about 50.00, however it's extremely versitile and it's hard to use. You have to be familiar with binairal beats and media editing software. I believe they make an easier one as well:

http://www.transparentcorp.com/products/np...eyword=binaural

I don't use it for acne but innertalk combined with the above and the mind accelerator has allowed me to lose my anxiety and stress completely, has given me a powerful memory and ability to learn (So much so that I don't have to study anymore, I just read the material once and it's clear), allows me to go into an extremely deep meditiative state, etc... I'm kind of glad this stuff isn't in the mainstream as it definitly gives me an edge.

Here's the healing one. For the love of god don't put this on while driving. Get the DNA activator and Deep mind ultra 2. Also don't sleep with the DNA activator if you expect to wake up for work in the morning, you'll sleep right through the alarm like I did (5 hours past in fact).

http://www.xtrememind.com/Download.html

Goodluck.

I think the mind definitely plays a role in our acne. For the past three months I have been obsessing over my skin...spending hours on the internet and absolutely nothing is helping. So this week I decided I was being ridiculous and I decided to change. On monday I started wearing a rubberband around my wrist and I snap it anytime I start thinking about how ugly my skin is and I also say something positive like you are beautiful. I know this probably isn't the best way to change my thinking but you have to start somewhere. smile.gif

I think the mind definitely plays a role in our acne. For the past three months I have been obsessing over my skin...spending hours on the internet and absolutely nothing is helping. So this week I decided I was being ridiculous and I decided to change. On monday I started wearing a rubberband around my wrist and I snap it anytime I start thinking about how ugly my skin is and I also say something positive like you are beautiful. I know this probably isn't the best way to change my thinking but you have to start somewhere. smile.gif

your idea of positive thoughts reminds me of the main theme in that decent movie 'What the Bleep do we know?"...perhaps you should rent it? Sorry to stray from the topic at hand. I'm interested in these binarual beats again. i tried using the Brainwave Generator a year or so ago to aid in meditation, and I'm going to use it again tonight when i go to sleep. I've read so many glowing testimonials that I have to find out if it's worth the effort.

I think the mind definitely plays a role in our acne. For the past three months I have been obsessing over my skin...spending hours on the internet and absolutely nothing is helping. So this week I decided I was being ridiculous and I decided to change. On monday I started wearing a rubberband around my wrist and I snap it anytime I start thinking about how ugly my skin is and I also say something positive like you are beautiful. I know this probably isn't the best way to change my thinking but you have to start somewhere.

That rubber band idea is a pretty good start and may i add its pretty funny also lol

I found an really good article on the effects of mind and body.

"The placebo effect proves to be good medicine in twelve month study; mind/body medicine is more powerful than drugs and surgery

A fascinating twelve-month experiment reported in the Archives of General Psychiatry reveals the power of mind/body medicine and the placebo effect. In the experiment, Parkinson's disease patients underwent a surgical procedure that transplanted human neurons into their brains. But half the patients had no neurons transplanted whatsoever and were merely told by their doctor that the neurons had been transplanted. The result? Even those patients who received the sham operation showed significant improvements in brain and body function a full twelve months later. In other words, they didn't even have the surgery, but they thought they did. So their bodies responded and self healing kicked in.

This is yet one more study demonstrating the powerful healing ability of the human mind. The mind can overcome or create practically any disease. All this reminds me of an older study where a group of students who were allergic to poison ivy were told they were going to have their arms rubbed with it. When rubbed, more than 80% of the students' arms reacted with the classic symptoms of poison ivy: itching, boils, redness, etc. Yet the plant that was used for the study wasn't poison ivy at all! It was a harmless shrub. The students' minds were creating the biological effects of poison ivy on their own, even though no such plant had touched their skin.

Now here's the bigger story on all this: mind/body medicine is real. A proper patient belief system can overcome practically any disease. Yet modern medicine utterly dismisses the idea that mind/body medicine can work at all. The "placebo effect" is too often discarded rather than exploited. If doctors could use the leverage of the placebo effect and actually give their patients hope, together they could overcome almost any illness. But instead, too many doctors and surgeons destroy patients' belief in the placebo effect and fill their minds with frightening statistics like, "You only have a one in three chance of surviving this operation." That's horrifying to patients, and as it turns out, it actually increases the chance that the patient will die during the operation.

If you take a hard look at the tens of thousands of clinical trials involving prescription drugs, surgical procedures, and various forms of therapy carried out over the last hundred years, you'll find that no drug and no surgery comes even close to the power of the placebo. In a very matter-of-fact, scientific way, the placebo effect has been proven to be the single most effective healing tool anywhere. The studies prove it: the placebo effect cures approximately 30% of everything -- any disease, any illness, or any unwanted symptom. It does this at no cost, with no side effects, and primarily by leveraging the innate healing ability of the human mind. Amazingly, even while the proof of this is right under their noses, western doctors and surgeons somehow manage to dismiss the phenomenon as hocus pocus. They don't believe it because they don't understand it, not because there isn't a mountain of good science to back it up (because there is!). All this brings us to an even larger picture: modern medicine really isn't about good science as is amusingly insisted by its captains. Rather, modern (western) medicine is a dogmatic system of beliefs and so-called "scientific truths" that are based more on shared professional illusions than reality. Modern medicine can, in fact, be properly described as a system of mass hysteria where things are accepted as true just because enough people say they are. Like all such systems, this one is aggressively defended: when evidence surfaces that challenges the present dogma, the medical journals, researchers and doctors dismiss it all as mumbo jumbo. That's how they protect the existing dogma of western medicine: throw out all the evidence that contradicts what "they know to be true" and publish all the evidence that agrees with it.

In a sad but very real way, the science of medicine only advances when the holders of the so-called "truths" of medicine pass away. Only then is there room for new beliefs, from new, younger doctors who ask new questions. I'm talking about questions like, "Hey, if the placebo effect helps 30% of all patients with no side effects and zero cost, why don't we look into actually using it to help people heal?" That's a reasonable question, don't you think? But it's probably blasphemy to your doctor. The very idea that the mind should play a role in healing probably goes against their religion.

Thankfully, we're starting to see the trend shift. With new studies being undertaken like the one mentioned here, we move closer to a system of medicine that finally acknowledges the all-important role of the mind of the patient. Truly, no healing is possible unless the mind and belief systems of the patient are aligned with the goal of a positive health outcome. All the prescription drugs and surgery in the world can't overcome even one simple belief firmly held in the mind of a patient. Neither can any disease resist the healing potential of that same mind. It's time we start honoring the human mind as the ultimate tool of healing. "

I got this article from www.newstarget.com k take care bye

Whatsup, you are a legend! What a fantastic article - I love the bit about modern medicine being little more than a system of mass hysteria where things are said to be true cos enough people say they are...absolute class!

I guess this is where faith healing has so many dramatic results - because the individual truely believes and has the 'faith' that god is going to heal them, the said healing actually takes place - less to do with a religeous epiphany and more to do with the mind kickin in its innate ability to heal.

It is odd is'nt it how the placebo effect is so well documented and recognised, so much so that it is taken into account in every single clinical trial you can think of, and yet it is dismissed as just one of those things, a funny little phenomena even?! I soppose not so odd when you think of all the damage it could do to the pharmecutical companies eh?!! biggrin.gif

Hey thanks bexi for your reply eusa_angel.gif

I read that the pharmecutical industry in the U.S is over a 250 billion dollar a year industry. Seems like a lot of money. It make more money than all the gas stations in the United States combined. eusa_angel.gif

All these subliminal, binaural beat, mind accelerators were made up by scientists, the same scientists that lean towards modern medicine, in fact the cutting edge of modern medicine. Not all modern medicine is pills you know. All this cognitive and nerual science is considered modern medicine as well.

I'd say that alternative medicine is just as much hype and fear as pharms. It just so happens that few of us are same enough to see that both sides offer great things. What I see most of is rampant alternative health nuts or pill pushers, not just pill pushers.

My little boy had Kawasakis disease last year, and if I had'nt put my faith in modern medicine he would be in a much worse position today. My beef is'nt really with scientific research which I feel is absolutely essential to our understanding of things and there are times when modern medicine is essential to the treatment of certain diseases and I really do see that it has great things to offer. The thing that I hate is the fact that so much money is made out of drugs that very frequently make people so much worse in the long run - anti-depressants provide a very obvious example. Unfortunately, modern medicine IS mostly about pushing pills and it always will be while there are such colossal amounts of money to be made out of it. Not only that, doctors just don't have the time or resources to treat patients holistically rather than just symptomatically (probably beacuse they are having to deal with that many more sick people as our world becomes increasingly more toxic to live in). Why exactly is modern medicine so resistant to herbal remedies when there are often a number of clinical studies which support their worth? The answer is because they are unpatentable, so the pharmecutical companies cannot make stupid amounts of money out of them.

I would say that alternative health is alot less about fear and hype - in my experience of alternative therapists they are alot more open to conventional medicine than the other way round. I have yet to meet a herbalist or homeopath who recommends a patient to completely disregard conventional wisdom and they generally prefer to be considered complementary practitioners , at least they do over here in the UK.

In my opinion, it is the pharmecutical companies who control the fear and hype and they are the ones who have the most to gain out of keeping it that way.

This is a really interesting thread. The mind and body can't be separated, I think we all agree on that. The mind is part of the body after all. I definitely think it can't hurt to work on that side of things in earnest.

Quantum physics teaches us that the researcher and the results can't be separated. What we expect will affect outcomes. I think there is some truth to this, but in the "real" world, we live in a place where acne exists. Or does it? Very interesting.

Since I am convinced that acne does exist, I am happy with keeping my skin clear using gentle topical meds, but if I were to somehow convince myself that acne doesn't exist or that I am clear, and I believe it with every piece of myself, perhaps my perception would become reality.

Whoa. My head just exploded.