Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
*Ariana*

punch floats, please help!

Hello everyone,

First I would like to say that I have been visiting this website for a long time and I am so thankful that there are so many caring and loving people on this board. You all are truly awesome! Now my question...Is it possible to have punch floats by Dr. Y without the dermabrasion? If there is anyone who has done this, please talk about your healing experience and the need to have something done afterwords. Thanks again. eusa_think.gif

Yes, I'd like to know this too. I think kwi had some without dermabrasion? And LOVE said hers didn't need smoothing over. Wantperfectskin cancelled her derma after floats. Any comments on whether peels or a tiny spot derma would work? My friend who is a derm resident says they do punch floats followed by a spot derma with a special sandpaper. It takes a couple weeks to heal. I am scheduled for floats in June. I'd like to get 8-10, but I'm starting with the 2 that bother me to see how it goes. I'm also scheduled for a spot derma with Dr. Y, but I kinda wonder why he assumes all punch floats need smoothing over with a dermabrasion machine. I also find it overkill to get a full-face derma if all that bothers you is a few ice-picks.

I think I am thinking about this way too much! It took me forever to try floats over TCA CROSS, and I'm still not sure!

Yes, I'd like to know this too.  I think kwi had some without dermabrasion?  And LOVE said hers didn't need smoothing over.  Wantperfectskin cancelled her derma after floats.  Any comments on whether peels or a tiny spot derma would work?  My friend who is a derm resident says they do punch floats followed by a spot derma with a special sandpaper.  It takes a couple weeks to heal.  I am scheduled for floats in June.  I'd like to get 8-10, but I'm starting with the 2 that bother me to see how it goes.  I'm also scheduled for a spot derma with Dr. Y, but I kinda wonder why he assumes all punch floats need smoothing over with a dermabrasion machine.  I also find it overkill to get a full-face derma if all that bothers you is a few ice-picks. 

I think I am thinking about this way too much!  It took me forever to try floats over TCA CROSS, and I'm still not sure!

I don't think you are thinking about it too much. It is your skin and it makes perfect sense that you want to understand your options.  I hope someone can tell us about their healing after punch floats.  Good luck with your procedures.

This is also what I am interested in. My daughter has about 15 small shallow icepick scars on her left cheek. She also has 3 rolling type scars. I would like to get them punchfloated w/ Dr. Y and get a spot derm. She has very light complexion so I think the spot derm would not leave marks. I am however concerned because her skin seems to be very thin and delicate. I think I have read that thin skin may not be a good candidate for dermabrasion.

Kiki or Love?? what do u think about doing just punch floats if u only have ice pick scarring without derm or just a spot derm?

Hello everyone,

First I would like to say that I have been visiting this website for a long time and I am so thankful that there are so many caring and loving people on this board.  You all are truly awesome! Now my question...Is it possible to have punch floats by Dr. Y without the dermabrasion? If there is anyone who has done this, please talk about your healing experience and the need to have something done afterwords.  Thanks again.  eusa_think.gif

I have fair skin and have had spot dermabrasion. It left no permanent demarcation, my dr. told me fair skinned individuals have the least chance of having pigmentation issues post dermabrasion.

Has anyone had punch floats not work on their icepick scars? What is the success rate? Also, does anyone know when Dr. Y is suppose to retire? What are we going to do when he is gone sad.gif

Hi, I did have punch-floats on some of my ice-picks without dermabrasion following right afterwards, although I did eventually get dermabrasion two months ago.

Well, the punched areas before the dermabrasion, they did become level with the surrounding skin ( most of them ). However, when I looked at them closely, the outline of the punched areas were visible. It did look better than when they were depressed, but I could tell which areas were punch-floated and even when I wore make-up, they were still little bit noticeable since I don't wear heavy make-up.

The derm who performed them on me, told me that wearing cica-care(silicone sheet for reduction of red and/or hypertrophic scars ) for three to six months following the punch-floats would help to make the outlines less visible. I'm not sure if that is in fact true or not, since I tried the cicacare for few days but gave up as my skin started to breakout.

I don't know if it is necessary to have dermabrasion or other deep abrasive resurfacing procedure after punch-float to smooth over the outlines. My guess is that, that would really depend on how much one is sensitive about the way their skin looks. Personally, I could have been, not maybe happy, but satisfied somewhat with the outcome of my punch-floats alone.. However, I had other scars as well, which coulndn't be punch floated, and that's what made me to finally get dermabrasion.

But my guess is that if one only gets a few areas punch floated, and the size of the punch floats were relatively small (like 2mm) and have no deep scars elsewhere, then such abrasive resurfacing techniques like dermabrasion need not be taken. Series of lighter peels may help to make the general condition of skin better, thus making the outline from the punch-floated areas look better too.

Again, that is only my personal opinion.

Kwi- WHo did your punch floats? How many did u have done? Were they ice pick and what size?

Again thank-you for the info. So helpful. My daughter has 18 small and shallow icepick scars, maybe too small for punch floats. You can see the bottom of all of them and they are about 1mm wide or less. It is just under certain lighting they seem to show up sooooo bad on her otherwise smooth skin. She also has 3 (I think?) rolling type scars on the front left cheek which seem to effect her the most. I am trying to decide between TCA cross and punch floats. The only thing w/punch floats is I don't think she could handle going through dermabrasion. We have to do something this summer while she is out of school. I would take her to Dr. Y , as we are from the South.

Has anyone had punch floats not work on their icepick scars?  What is the success rate?  Also, does anyone know when Dr. Y is suppose to retire?  What are we going to do when he is gone sad.gif

Dr. Sharon Meyer, who shares the office with him, seems to be his apprentice for the manual procedures like punch floats. She is middle-aged, so she's got a good 20 years in her work. Hopefully her skills will match Dr. Y's.