Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey all, how is everyone?

This thread isn't about discussing ways of doing it or anything.

I just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on self harming, and whether it makes them feel better etc, is it wrong etc etc

Thanks

Hey polka!

Well yeah i used to do some harm to myself. I burnt my arms in the oven a couple of times. I still got the marks to remind me.

I dont know why i did it exactly but i just remember being SO pissed about myself and my acne and just my life as a whole (this was a year ago)

I havent done anything like that since then though...

Guest Zitro

I could consider self-harm when I was pissed in one occasion for an academic failure last year ... I beat the cylinder-like punching bag for so long that my skin in a knuckle ripped off and left a permanent scar. And I also had for a while my feet, fists, elbows and legs in pain for hitting it so much

I would say : don't do self-harm ... you are only harming yourself more to the vurnerable emotional condition you have at the moment and obviously ... to your body.

Why more scars if you avoid the acne scars at all costs?

self harming is not the answer. i used to cut. i guess it was because the pain would distract me from my face.. any way i know better than that now.

I was a cutter, I have 24 purple deep permanent scars to remind me how stupid it was... at first it was like 1000's of little scratches, then it just got deeper and deeper... i could post a picture of my scars if you want me to, but i think the mods will delete it

Sometimes I cut, but the last time I did it I did it deeper than I meant to and it scared me a lot, I'd like to think that I will at least attempt to quit it. If you have never cut, then PLEASE don't do it

Self-harming = Sad.

If you hurt yourself intentionally you diserve every bit of it.

Sorry to sound bitter and stubborn but that's just the way I feel about it. There are other ways of dealing with the pain, stress and agony.

Guest Avian
Self-harming = Sad.

If you hurt yourself intentionally you diserve every bit of it.

Sorry to sound bitter and stubborn but that's just the way I feel about it. There are other ways of dealing with the pain, stress and agony.

yeah i agree that was a idiotic thing to say

self harm is what got me this damn acne scarred up face in the first plac.e i had perfect skin - poreclin white flawless invisible pores. i was the envy of all my freinds and a bunch of other people. mostly through peopels jealousy and pciking on me trying to bring me down and my ex dumping me it hurt so bad i just started picking my face (wish i hadnt now ) its really upsetiing to think about it to this day. i just hope my face heals all the way.

I am a recovering SI as well. I started at 13, and my last cut was 2 years ago, at 21. I'm very proud of this, it was not easy to let that behavior go. At 15, in and out of psychiatric wards, I was always the most cut up person on the unit.

1) There is a biological reaction to a wound. Your body immediatly, upon realizing there is an open wound on the body, rushes white and red blood cells to the spot, as well as releasing ADRENALINE, SERATONINE, and small levels of DOPAMINE. These are the body's "naturual pain killers", nature's own optiates. Normally, we are too busy cursing about getting the wound to notice the flood of chemicals. But when the wound is done on purpose, it allows the space to actually sit back and feel the chemicals. This is why so many of us feel calmer after cutting.

This is why, after I stopped cutting, learning how to deal with anger (the emotion that most oft prompted cutting) became an urgent issue, one that I still have difficulty with.

2) It got very difficult to prove to the outside world that I was being abused at home. My parents left no marks, so in a desperate attempt to get someone to listen, I cut. It's very hard to deny that someone is in serious pain if they are willing to wound thier own skin for it.

3) The behavior served it's purpose. It allowed me to get attention and help, and allowed a release of anger that probably saved my life at the time. I don't regret it. I needed a crutch and that was it. I could not - at the risk of worsening the abuse at home - release those emotions any other way.

But it took several years AFTER I was out of the situations that called for such extreme measures before I felt safe enough to give it up. But give it up eventually, I did.

I commend anyone who has fought this and everyday, chooses to experience life in a way that doesn't bleed. We are veterans of sorts. I had to learn that my body was NOT simply a piece of meat (as I had been taught as a child). At first, that was very difficult, too. I was confused as to why people thought cutting was wrong - it's just meat, I'd say. Just skin. Nothing special. Nothing important.

Over the years of therapy, self help, and crying and screaming and unsent letters....eventually, I understood. That skin is ME, and I AM important.

My fiance (who is quite normal) is very squeamish about this subject. Weak stomach, I guess. It's nice to hear others talking about it.