Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
americancrewmc

Natural Moisturizer?

I have heard of some oils etc. that act as natural moisturizers. I just don't want chemicals on my face anymore, even if that means I am not porcelain clear. Just give me a heads up on some natural moisturizers or Antony, you said you knew some holistic ways to getting more moisturized skin.

jojoba oil is the best one I have found. I slather it on at night and by morning it's all abosrbed and my face is soft and moisturized. If I need a little extra in the a.m. I use a little aloe and just a very small amount of jojoba.

ditto - jojoba oils rocks. Make sure it is cold pressed and organic though - its worth spending a few extra pennies for the benefit of your skin!

it does the opposite, it actually clears out your pores to an extent. It is the closest possible thing to sebum so effectively you are tricking your skin into thinking that it is fully moisturised already with the stuff that it naturally produces, so your skin should pump out less sebum. It is fantastic stuff and feels absolutely lovely on your skin - give it a whirl!

it does the opposite, it actually clears out your pores to an extent. It is the closest possible thing to sebum so effectively you are tricking your skin into thinking that it is fully moisturised already with the stuff that it naturally produces, so your skin should pump out less sebum. It is fantastic stuff and feels absolutely lovely on your skin - give it a whirl!

well I buy it from Holland and Barrett in the UK, if you are from the States which your user name suggests then I am not rightly sure, although I would imagine that any wholefood store that also sells beauty products would probably stock it. Failing that you would be able to buy it on the net no probs I would imagine - just do a search on jojoba oil and you will probably find a multitude of sites that sell the stuff.

Yes, any health food store should carry it. It might be a bit expensive, but it lasts forever. I bought a $6 bottle of it in January and it's about 1/2 empty.

it does the opposite, it actually clears out your pores to an extent. It is the closest possible thing to sebum so effectively you are tricking your skin into thinking that it is fully moisturised already with the stuff that it naturally produces, so your skin should pump out less sebum.

So how do you explain why people on Accutane treatment get such dry and fakey skin? Accutane stops sebum production ergo sebum plays a big role in the moisturization of the skin. I don't really give a flying f**k what the research of some bloke in the 80's came up with, and if you are prepared to swallow every crackpot theory out there that backs up your personal agendas then it just goes to show that your 'critical thinking' faculties leave an awful lot to be desired. It seems that your function on this board Bryan is to dis other peoples opinions without offering any sort of useful information whatsoever - what has your post got to do with the effectiveness of jojoba oil anyway, or are you just trying to sound knowledgeable about the role of sebum production? Do yourself and everyone else a favour and keep your unhelpful opinions to yourself. evil.gif

Wow, did I touch a nerve, or what? biggrin.gif

It's an absolute bitch when someone challenges your cherished beliefs with medical research, isn't it?? eusa_dance.gif

Bryan

Don't mind being challenged mate, just don't like people LOL'ing and coming across like some snotty know it all when if fact they know jack - if you want me to challenge YOUR cherished beliefs with medical research, then believe me I can - there is a multitude of evidence out there that says that sebum is EXCACTLY the thing that moisturizes the skin keeping it soft and supple. What is more I would'nt be doing it with a LOL as my opening shot - if you don't want to get peoples backs up then watch what you write and how you write it.

LOL!!  The "feedback theory" raises its ugly head once again, although with a slight twist on it!  It's the theory that just won't die a merciful death... Here's a relevant passage about whether or not sebum plays a role in "moisturizing" the skin, from "Sebum Secretion and Sebaceous Lipids", Stewart et al, Dermatologic Clinics -- Vol. 1, No. 3, July 1983:

"Kligman has specifically disproved the notions that sebum improves the barrier function of skin, that sebum helps to regulate the water content of the horny layer by forming emulsions with sweat, or that sebum on the skin surface is fungistatic or antibacterial. (21)  Kligman regards the human sebaceous glands as 'living fossils' that lost their usefulness to our species as we lost our fur. (21)"

21)  Kligman, A. M.:  The uses of sebum?  In  Advances in the Biology of Skin.  Volume 4.  Oxford, Pergamon Press, 1963.

Bryan

Don't mind being challenged mate, just don't like people LOL'ing and coming across like some snotty know it all when if fact they know jack - if you want me to challenge YOUR cherished beliefs with medical research, then believe me I can - there is a multitude of evidence out there that says that sebum is EXCACTLY the thing that moisturizes the skin keeping it soft and supple.

So, how exactly has Klingman disproved the notion that sebum does not effect water retetntion, which would then allow the skin to remain moisturized?

No I have'nt seen your exhaustive posts on feed back thoery, are you really so arrogant to think that people here hang on your every word? They certainly won't be after calling a whole bunch of them as ignorant as someone who could'nt find France on a globe just because they have a perfectly valid belief that cows milk can cause acne and is not a natural food source for humans...hello? as in something that is NATURALLY intended for baby cows, come on, it really is'nt rocket science Bryan - oh, the irony of you accusing others of stupidity!!!

As for the spelling mistake, big fuckin deal hon - do you want me to scan all your posts for typos as proof of something? What exactly, I am not sure. This really is'nt a difficult topic to research - just google (or whatever your search engine is) SEBUM SKIN and MOISTURE and you will find all you need to know. I really can't be bothered to bring the results of some research paper to this argument to prove what everyone instinctively knows, which is that sebum acts as a natural moisturizer. If not, then what the hell else is it for - fun??!!

So the truth comes out - you 'dunno for sure'. Don't know much in my opinion. Just because Kligman says it's so does'nt make it so, it's just someone elses opinion - critical thinking remember Bryan? What is it with this Kligman dude anyway - you got a thing for him?

Suck what up and grow a pair of what? Are you trying to tell me to grow up? I think that you could do with a little maturity yourself if you are going to resort to crude and childish insults, and are unable to deal with the responsibilty of offending someone. To be honest, if you had'nt been such an idiot in other posts I have seen I might not have reacted so strongly - reap what you sow babe!!

So the truth comes out - you 'dunno for sure'. Don't know much in my opinion. Just because Kligman says it's so does'nt make it so, it's just someone elses opinion - critical thinking remember Bryan? What is it with this Kligman dude anyway - you got a thing for him?

Suck what up and grow a pair of what? Are you trying to tell me to grow up? I think that you could do with a little maturity yourself if you are going to resort to crude and childish insults, and are unable to deal with the responsibilty of offending someone. To be honest, if you had'nt been such an idiot in other posts I have seen I might not have reacted so strongly - reap what you sow babe!!

No I have'nt seen your exhaustive posts on feed back thoery, are you really so arrogant to think that people here hang on your every word?

As a middle-man I would like to add this definition from a Medical Dictionary (Webster's):

Sebum: An oily secretion of the sebaceous gland which helps to preserve the flexibility of the hair.

No, I was'nt referring to the acne research thread, although I will most certainly check it out to see how much more abnoxious you have been in that one. According to Websters sebum is an oily secretion which helps preserve the flexibility of hair, and Kligman says that it is an evolutionary relic from when we were covered in hair. If i am not mistaken, hair is in fact keratinized ( hardened ) skin, so logic suggests that sebum will have a similar effect on skin as to that which it has on hair i.e maintaining its flexibility and moisture content.

You still have'nt responed to the fact that Accutane treatment has a drying effect (thats LACK OF MOISTURE to you numbnuts) on the skin, not to mention that it is universally accepted that people with dry skin conditions have low sebum production.

Kligman also said that sebum has a DIMINISHED role now that we are not covered in hair, that is not to say that it has NO ROLE AT ALL. You are the sort of person who takes one bit of research and takes it as gospel, and thankfully, I am not.

This thread started out as a discussion on jojoba oil and its merits and has been twisted into a pathetic slanging match about the role of sebum in the skin - if you have a valid comment on jojoba oil I would be very pleased to listen, otherwise go find some other thread to bombard with irrelavent comments and unhelpful information...BTW if you are going to have an argument with someone I would suggest that you stick to the subject under discussion instead of trying to bamboozle them with other peoples work on the 'rafetting of hair'....scheesh!!!

If all you can do is have a go at my spelling then it just goes to show how pathetic this whole thread has got - just cos I knock out my posts without trawling through them to make sure there are no typos does'nt make them any less valid, and to be honest you are just showing exactly how OBNOXIOUS you are caplable of being - has it ever occurred to you that I could be dyslexic and spelling is a really big issue to me? No, of course not as you are patently unable to see further than the end of your nose, let alone consider hte possibilities of someone elses situation.

As far as the sebum/Kligman debate goes - I REALLY DON'T CARE! I have wasted too much of my time on this useless argument as it is, and to be honest I don't understand why the f**k it is such a big deal to you. What I will say as my parting shot however is this - ONE of the side-effects of Accutane is that it ALSO has a drying effect on the mucous membranes i.e. mouth, nose, throat and eyes. It is not an either or situation - what sort of logic suggests that because the mucus membranes become over dried as well as the skin, and because these membranes don't produce sebum means that it is not the absence of sebum that is causing the drying effect in the skin? Uh, DUH!! You really are a fine one to talk about logic Bry!!....

I wish you happiness in your fanaticism and your devotion to Kligman, the most respected dermatologist in the whole universe - jus for the record, derms don't impress me much and neither does the medical model as I believe it has serious flaws when it comes to healing people, hence my presence here on the HOLISTIC healthboard.

Byeeeeeee!!!

shock.gif now now you guys play nice eusa_naughty.gif

While I'm not willing to jump into the whole "feedback theory" debate with guns blazing, I will say that I have been using Jojoba Oil once at night for over a month now and am quite satisfied. I did not experience any initial breakout. It does not seem to clog my pores, but it does not unclog the clogged ones either (as someone somewhere claimed, unfortunately it hasn't proved true in my case). I also noticed a decrease in oil production.

However it does take a while for it to absorb and did weird things when I tried to apply foundation over it (hence the reason I only use it at night).

At the moment I'm looking into Camellia oil. It is meant to be very similar to Jojoba oil with the added benefits of encouraging collagen and elastin production (or something along those lines) and hence can aid in diminishing pitting and scarring (something I have in abundance) and also Camellia is said to absorb alot faster than Jojoba.

Do a search on this board, you'll find more than enough info and a heap of testimonials from both jojoba lovers and haters.

Okay that's my two cents

back to you bexi and bryan

three...two...one...FIRE!!

rolleyes.gif Yeah, you're right, I feel well and truely admonished! In my defense however, I generally only play fair when other people do - guess I need to learn to bite my tongue eh?...nuf said anyway.