Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aizzuh

how do your parents feel about your acne?

hhhhhmmm... my parents are pretty supportive like, PHYSICALLY. They bring me to the best dermatologists and stuff... but not really, EMOTIONALLY. I dunno. Everytime they see me depressed over my acne, they're all like "Can you please stop that?" and start lecturing me about how vain I am, and how I am not thankful for my other blessings, and how other people have it worse off -- like they're obese or like, have kinky hair (Big deal.) or whatever. Gosh they just don't get it. My acne really isn't as severe as some people, pero it's definitely definitely noticeable. Plus, it's worse that NONE of my friends have it... argh.

mine are generally supportive. mum tells me if face looking better, or worse which is good because i value honesty.

Guest OrangeFlower

my dad thinks im not being 'strong' whenever i complain about it

letting it bring me down shows how 'weak' i am sad.gif

maybe the people who suffer from chronic acne are given this ailment because they really are capable of handling it

although i really hate it - i dont know how i would deal with an ailment

that was possible to hide like cancer/fibromyalgia

it could be far, far worse-i could be paralyzed

please no

eusa_pray.gif

Guest Avian

My parents both had acne in their youth (my dad to a greater extent), and they don't see how it can bother me so much. Simple: the media shoving perfection in our faces, and more effective treatments clearing up everyone else.

My mom's a bitch about it.When I first started breaking out i took myself to the derm because she didn't believe me. I still deal with it myself because i've always been independent. She said I have teenage acne, so I asked her why didn't i have it when I was in high school then.

My parents aren't supportive at all. I don't think they even know how to be supportive. I feel my parents are on a different planet sometimes. If they were more of a friend rather than parents i would tell them more about the way i feel, but oh well they cant be trusted with information like that.

My Dad is like very supportive he had acne bad when he was young, and has bad scars, and he seems too always know how im feeling. wub.gif dad you rule, but your a bit to easy to beat at golf smile.gif

Guest TylerD

My parents dont care because they dont think i have a problem lol but they are always willing to buy me new products and shit and even pay for accutane so its all good i dont need their support hehe.

Guest jollajolla

my mom's great...but it took forever for her to understand how degrading acne was.

my dad doesn't care. he figures i'll outgrow it.

regardless, i love them both.

My dad will throw out a comment like 'that peanut butter gives you zits...' and when he says things like that, it makes me feel like punching him in the face...

My mom will give me little tips like 'eating alot of apples could be good for your skin..'

They never actually say anything about it but they secretly do so.

So funny , my daughter is always happy if her skin is bad or good. I'm the one who stresses out badly. I don't get it.

My mom can be very blunt, but helpful. When I was in 8th grade I had a pimple or two and she just plainly came out and stated the obvious. I felt bad until she shrugged it off and told me she'd buy me something from the store to help. Then this year I had a bad breakout and she pointed it out again rather bluntly, I felt really self conscious until she said she'd look into something. So after a few calls we ordered ProActiv. So overall she's helpful, but can be insensitive sometimes.

My dad doesn't mention it (I don't have bad acne at all, mild or even less than that), and doesn't seem to notice at all. You can tell when people notice it on you, you see their eyes shift and such, but my dad doesn't do that at all. It makes me forget about being self conscious when I'm alone around him.

My dad once said, "You should really do something about those blisters on your face."

He lets me buy skin care products, but not after he goes on this speech about how he thinks I'm being so stupid and I don't know what I'm doing.

My mom thinks I eat too much meat, when in fact, I don't.

XD

Guest OrangeFlower

wow

im so glad to read what other people said

that im not the only one to experience bizarro parents and acne

My dad is the sweetest and most supportive person...he keeps reminding me of all the things that are special about me, he notices when I'm down about it, but I've never held back and always told him when I was down, so he would always cheer me up and give me confidence. I got it from his side of the family, but brother got it, too, but less severe. So my dad tells me I'm pretty in a way that makes me believe him, I'm grateful for that.

My mum hasn't got any idea what it's like I think. I live with my dad, so she doesn't notice everything that's going on, she left before I broke out. Still I get both my parents to take me to the doc or pay for stuff I need...they'd never let me pay for all of it myself.

I never talked to anyone in real life except my dad and sometimes mum and brother....it took me almost three quarters of a year to trust my boyfriend enough to even TELL him that it bothered me, let alone to mention anything of it, I always pretended there wasn't anything there to bother me. Then it just all broke out and I had tears running down my face because I had seen myself forced to hide such a great part of my thoughts and troubles from the person I trust and love. I would even leave my make up on at night when he stayed over. I hated daylight. Now I even wear BP stuff on my face instead of make up in his presence. It's such a relief when people support you, but for that, they need to KNOW that you're vulnerable and that it is really hard for you.

My parent are indifferent. My mom is aware of how acne makes me feel but she feels that it's just a normal part of growing up because she has some too when she was younger and she said they just went away in time. But she does tell me when my skin looks better. I dont know if my dad even knows i have acne because he never says anything or mentions anything about my acne which is probably a good thing anywayz.

My mother is not very supportive. She never helped me when I was young and now she just tells me that I should do something about it. Well I am and it's working so now she can stop bugging me.

my skin isn't horrible at all. i just keep breaking out on my forehead. i'll have 2 pimples, then be clear, then get another one or two. in the same general area on my forehead. my mom thinks i'm obsessed with my skin, my dad keeps telling me to go to the doctor, but i don't want a topical medication they'd give me. i'm afraid it will weaken my skin in the long run. the thing is, i'm tan, so when i get something, it's noticeable, cuz it leaves a dark mark. i'm always looking at peoples foreheads, marveling at the smooth flatness, while i have stupid bumps.

As with all people, my parents did treat and look at me differently during the time I had clear skin.

My mom has taken me to derms and such, but that's long since past. Now she says she'll take me to get laser treatment, but she uses it against me too. Example: I don't clean the house to her specific liking, so she threatens me by saying that she's not going to help me, lol.

My father is silent about it all.

Guest Zitro

While my mother did not have acne, she is the most supportive in my family and is very huggy when I need a hug... yet she sometimes points at my new zits and I do not like that, but she does it because she cares about me.

in overall, I love my family, and I love them acne-wise too for taking me to derms and for paying for my somewhat costly benzamycin (I stopped the 2.5%bp) and facials.

hey i started this thread and was kinda pissed at my mom when i started it... i feel guilty 'coz my mom really IS supportive. she is the most honest with me about my skin.. she sometimes gets cranky when i complain a bit too much and thinks i'm crazy that i'm letting acne ruin my life. she always encoureages me to go out of the house so that i forget about my acne, and i just roll my eyes at her, thinking "gosh she doesnt understand" when in fact, she wants the best for me. i love my mom!