Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
habjoi

Quick question about milk...

I have been reading in a lot of posts that state that milk affects acne enough to notice a difference. Well, in the mornings I eat my bowl of cereal (with milk) and I usually drink a glass of milk along with that. And I was just wondering is this would greatly affect my acne or if it is one of those "everybody reacts differently to it" things. Also I have read about people avoiding cereal in their diets... does cereal affect acne too?!?Thanks! :P Suggestions, if any. :wink:

Pastuerized and homogenized dairy is something you DEFINITELY want to avoid. Ditch the cereal as well and go for steak and eggs. I have cleared, along with a few others, on these kinds of dietary changes. A lot of people with acne seem to eat a lot of cereal...I did, I ate tons and my acne got bad. Now I never touch grains and I'm 100% clear. Read my thread at this other msg board: http://pub106.ezboard.com/fabsoluteacneinf...start=1&stop=20

When i quit milk..I do soy now, {cheese & chocolate too in moderation} it just seemed like I had less white gunk in my body overall...less phlegm, less sebum, just less. Try to skip the extra glass.

Acne, in most cases, is hormonal and milk has alot of hormones in it that make it a factor as a cause for acne. Some people have food allergies and wheat is becoming a more prominent allergan. That could be why when people say they reduce their cereal consumption they notice a difference in their complextion.

Well......

Last week i didn't drink milk for about 5 days and my acne did die down... and then one morning i decided to have a glass of milk :roll: and the next morning and i woke up to about 5 new blemishes on the corners of my mouth. So i do believe that it is the dairy products that is causing my acne.... :?: and can soy milk be substituded for regular milk? like i mean can i drink that with out it causing acne? thanks you guys.

You'd have to try it and see. My recommendation is...no milk of any type. Drink water and eat animals/vegetation. Can't go wrong there. No need to add crazy things like soy milk. Here's something you may want to look at regarding soy: http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/

Hi Eff, I am new here and find the board very helpful!! :D

I have a question though, I believe in your diet, really, but how do you do it just eating meats, veges, and fruits, and nothing else!! It sounds VERY hard!! What do you snack on? If you would could you share some of your foods you eat daily, like is it always steak and eggs and a few veges a fruit? If you prepare chicken do you ever mix anything with it that might be cheating a bit, like bisquick on it or anything?? I admire your self-discipline! I am currently drinking 8 glasses of water a day with a little lemon and can handle that, it does cut down on some cravings too, however I still want my chocolate!! And I get cravings for cheese and fries and all that good stuff. Just wondering if you suffer as well :wink:

i use to break out eating/drinking dairy products but nothing has really happened for a while now *knock on wood*

Allison, no prob. Here we go. I don't cheat often, if ever. I may have a scoop of ice cream once a month or so, but it's never much more than that. I suppose it does take a good deal of discipline, but I think if people saw the results that I saw, anyone would stick with it. The human body really doesn't need that much food to live healthfully. It especially doesn't need a large variety. Despite this, people enjoy sensation, so I just try my best to find great tasting meats, vegetables, fruit, and berries. Here's an overview of what I might eat in a day:

Breakfast: Uncured bacon, lightly cooked, soft boiled eggs, or a steak, maybe an avocado, a banana or some other fruit, basically any fat I can scrape together.

If I've eaten enough fat at breakfast, I'm satisfied and have plenty of energy for hours.

Lunch: Some Raw milk swiss cheese. Imported from Switzerland. I've researched it and I know that it is made from raw milk from pasture fed cows. I also may have another piece of fruit or a bowl of fresh spinach.

Snacks: Raw milk cheese, dried organic apricots, avocado, shredded organic coconut, eggs, sometimes raw.

Dinner: A rare/raw steak or some raw or boiled salmon. Vegetables stir fried in butter.

I also cook in coconut oil sometimes.

I don't feel very limited in my food selection. I have a wide variety of meats, vegetables, and fruits to choose from. I love my green tea and chinese black tea, I drink about 2-3 cups a day. I understand completely how you may feel limited at first. But now, I feel great, my skin cleared months ago, I don't get sick, and I've found many new types of foods that I love.

It is worth it. I never eat any type of grain, or refined sugar, like candy or soda. I don't eat potatoes or corn (a grain). I don't eat/drink pasteurized/homogenized dairy.

If you want to marinate chicken, I've heard lemon juice works quite nicely.

Overall, you get quite used to it. Believe me when I say...the longer you stick with it, the less and less you will cheat. I used to cheat with ice cream almost every weekend. Now, for some reason, I really don't feel the desire. Once you've begun feeding yourself properly, you won't crave much of anything, maybe some citrus fruit or an avocado or some other beneficial food.

Trust yourself and stick to nature's bounty. Provided with the right raw vitamins and minerals, your body can heal just about anything. Good luck, and make sure to let us know how you do.

Thanks for the menu Eff! I do want to try some better foods and actually really like avocado's and will have to see about uncured bacon as I 've never tried that, don't think I'll be eating raw eggs or raw meat though--don't you know there are diseases out there? Do you get your swiss cheese from a health food store, I am going to one today to look for some organic foods. Do you eat most everything organic? Sometimes I worry a little about organic because I saw a show on dateline awhile back that said organic's not all that because since there's no pesticides used to fight diseases, often organic foods have more disease causing micro-organisms on them, they did a test where they found the organic foods especially produce to contain more than the treated ones with pesticides. I believe they were testing in a local supermarket. Maybe health co-ops are better?? What do you think? Thanks

Yeah, I don't expect most people to pick up on the raw part...its a step up. And it's most likely not necessary to clear skin. Diseases in grass-fed meats are not very common, and the rate for salmonella in eggs in the US is about 1 in every 30,000 eggs. I'm not worried. Yes I buy my cheese from a health food store. You really should find a decent, large health food store to do your shopping, it makes it a lot easier to find good stuff. I believe in organic produce, I've read some good things about it, such as that the vitamin/mineral quanitites are higher in organic produce as compared to treated produce. Go to www.mercola.com, he has a lot of articles there about organic fruits, vegetables and a bunch of stuff about meat, etc. I don't think we need to worry about infections and diseases as long as the food we take in is whole and unprocessed. Our immune system is there for a reason and needs some practice. I don't worry about germs. O:)

well, im curious if youre a girl or guy, and how old you are, and how tall you are and how much you weigh. that seems like an awful small amount of food for a daily diet.

I'm male. 18 years old. 6 feet tall. 155 lbs. I don't eat a small amount. I often overeat actually, to the point where I'm stuffed and I rather try to avoid doing that..it sucks. Because of the amount of fat that I take in, my caloric intake is most likely over 3000 calories/day. I don't find calories particularly useful, however. They don't seem to matter to me. I just eat animals and vegetation until I feel satisifed. I also drink water whenever I'm thirsty. Just listen to the body. On this diet, I feel very good.

Ok guys, I went and bought my expensive organic health food, and what I couldn't afford I just bought tainted, but I have a question about yogurt. I love my vanilla yogurt. I like to take it with some liquid flax seed oil mixed in. I know this is dairy but what do you think? It's got acidophilus in it which is supposed to help fight the bad bacteria which can cause diseases like acne. Is yogurt alright in moderation?? I do have asthma and don't want to contribute to mucus in my body from dairy, but to be honest I never really drank alot of milk anyway, ate alot of milk chocolate though, I am cutting way back on refined sugars now. Even if not eff's diet I am progressing!!!

I used to eat cereal twice everyday but stopped after reading it could contributing to my acne about 5 months ago, I also cut out milk. I havent noticed much of a difference cos of this though, everything is just the same although my problem is red marks that will not fade !

I have been reading in a lot of posts that state that milk affects acne enough to notice a difference. Well, in the mornings I eat my bowl of cereal (with milk) and I usually drink a glass of milk along with that. And I was just wondering is this would greatly affect my acne or if it is one of those "everybody reacts differently to it" things. Also I have read about people avoiding cereal in their diets... does cereal affect acne too?!?Thanks!  :- Suggestions, if any.  :wink:

There is no real connection between your diet and acne. Any sort of food consumtpion following with a breakout is purely coincidencial. BUT, eating alot of foods rich in zinc and vitamins can help your acne. It's just that no food can make it worse.

Does wheat products cause acne? I constantly eat like loaves of bread substituting that for potato chips. Does that inflame my acne sicne now Ive been getting ti real bad. What should I eat and still keep a healthy diet? I don't really drink milk but I drink protein shakes and slim fast.

banned, wheat could aggravate acne. Avoid all grains and pasteurized dairy for a while...eat lots of vegetables and meat...with lots of water. Don't eat processed food.

Fred,

Did you know that Lactose Intolerance is a natural progression for the Human Body? OF ALL things they teach us, very little is focused on nutrition, except for Dairy. Practically all of my Biology & Microbiology classes alwaysa mentions how the responds to Lactose. If you you aren't drinking Dairy, then your body ceases to produce lactase. When you are, your body begins producing lactase. However, over time, your body naturally produces less and less lactase because we aren't meant to consume Dairy Products beyond a certain age (first few years). This is why you see products out called Lactaid, etc. Although, if you are Caucasian (Northern European Descent), you have the ability to withstand more dairy than any other ethnicity.

The same rule also applies to the digestion of Beans and Legumes. Our bodies do not digest these. Instead bacteria is what breaks these down for us (as they do with lactose when we become intolerant). That's also why you will see enzymes products for the digestion of beans (Beano) at your local grocery store. I can't recall any other food intolerances that have such SUPPORT. Clearly if there are products available at your grocery store, it's not only limited to 30% of the population. In fact depending on your ethnicity, Lactose intolerance is 60% - 95% prevelant.

Hmm, I suppose having a healthy supply of friendly bacteria will do wonders for you. I found that consuming Yogurt has no effect on me, but the longer I avoid milk, the more problems (bloating, some mucous, etc) I am starting to get when I consume a certain amount of dairy. LOL, so that's something that I'm now avoding as a result. However, that's not the MAIN reason you should look to limit or avoid dairy.

The MAIN reason is because it contains a nice host of problematic proteins/hormones. The main one to be concerned with is that they contain IGF-1. If your dairy is not organic, it contains EVEN MORE IGF-1. This is relevant to you because this is the hormone that Accutane (13-cis retinoic acid) reduces in order to ELIMINATE (temporarily) your acne. So if you believe in Accutane, then you should start believing in the powers that a healthy, physiologically, hormonally balanced diet will produce.

Now, maybe you are probably one of the 90% that can cure your acne through topical means, is this true?

Do you have a breakout cycle that has been permanently eliminated?

Have you found an internal solution (prescription or natural) that solves your problems?

Since higher levels of DHT in the sebaceous follicles is the problem for the 90% that actually have normal hormone levels, it's fair game to say the Diet and Acne/Hormones are still connected.

Now, the reason I say that diet and acne are connected are because obviously, consuming a diet that increases your insulin and fat levels (whether it shows up or not in blood tests) will increase your hormone levels (why high cholesterol may not show up in blood tests...it's being converted into more male hormones).

Keeping with the Role of Accutane, IGF-1 is what increases the growth of our cells. IGF-1 is what will attach to androgen receptors in the sebaceous follicles to enlarge them, to produce more androgens, which turn into DHT, and increase sebum production, etc. IGF-1 has also been connected to a HEIGHTENED Immune Response, which, is why a % of acne sufferers don't get sick. Just because we don't get sick, doesn't mean our body isn't unhealthy/imbalanced in ANOTHER way.

Here's a study, LOL, that actually covers exactly what's occuring inside of our bodies, or rather those of us that are avoiding CERTAIN foods but still eat PLENTY of other foods. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...6&dopt=Abstract No, we aren't deprived. We still have plenty of fun foods to eat, or at least I know I do. ;-) So anyway, what foods could acne sufferers be consuming that will increase IGF-1 levels?

A) Grains - Whole Grains Improve your Insulin Sensitivity. Gluten Free Grains, improve it even more and for those that are extremely sensitive, and avoidance of all GRAINS should take care of things. Not only do they spike our Insulin Levels, but they also allow for Free IGF-1 and Free Testosterone to roam in our system. They do this by reducing our IGFBP-3 and SHBG proteins that are NECCESSARY for the reduction/control of the above.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...0&dopt=Abstract (really should be specific as to what food they had for breakfast...sigh)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...6&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...4&dopt=Abstract

Accutane (13-cis retinoic acid) increases IGFBP-3 which binds IGF-1. Birth Control/Estrodial increases our SHBG which prefers to binds to male hormones. When those hormones are bound, they don't cause the problems that we like to associate with...acne. Sometimes medications work, as long as you continue to use them, and... sometimes they aren't strong enough.

It's like taking Diet pills but you keep eating the wrong foods. How much weight are you really going to lose? How much acne are you really going to eliminate if you keep putting into your system the very same products from food (excess glucose and IGF-1) that your medication is trying to fight?

B) (Commercial) Diary - if added Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH) was used on the cow, you've got an increase in IGF-1 in your dairy products. They say that cow IGF-1 can't interfere in our system...but others beg to differ. Maybe they are allergic/Intolerant to casein or whey...or maybe it is the increased IGF-1 in their system. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...0&dopt=Abstract

C) Bad Oils - Hydrogenated, Partially Hydrogenated, Trans Fat oils along with (unadultered) Polyunsaturated oils will increase your IGF-1 levels....male or females. It's also said that saturated fats raise these levels too. These are found in around 90% of the foods you get at a Fast Food shop, Tv Dinners, Canned, Prepackaged Refined Processed foods. I definately think that there needs to be more studies to differentiate these fats and whether they were unaltered or hydrogenated, etc. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...pt=Abstracthttp

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...5&dopt=Abstract

D) MSG - Monsodium Glutamate. A neurotransmitter known to be problematic in various ways and is still used in (refined/processed) food products. Some people have actually been able to taste this substance and as such a 5th Taste, after Sweet, Sour, Bitter, and Salty, called Umami was born. Just out of bordem I did a search and found that it too has been correlated with a rise in IGF-1 levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...9&dopt=Abstract

There's other foods, but those are what I've specifically found that correlated to increases in IGF-1. From here you can begin to look at your diet and see if you are constantly consuming the above. Over the years, since the age of 12, it took several attempts due to the wrong information, before I got my diet pretty much figured out.

Now this study below also relays what it is that I've been trying to get across with us following a hormonally balanced diet. That by reducing foods that increase IGF-1 and Insulin Resistance, we can actually increase our Insulin Sensitivity, thus decrease the overproduction of our steriod hormones (that part was added, but there's other studies that mention that aspect). This is WHY they gave me Insulin Sensitizers (didn't work as well as my customized Gluten-Free/Low grain diet), as well as why they were given to those with PCOS, Diabeties Type II, Insulin Resistance or Hypoglycemia, High Cholesterol, etc

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...5&dopt=Abstract That way, if you can't control your hormones/acne through Topicals or Prescription drugs or Supplements, you can use your diet to Prevent it naturally.

Of course, I don't know of any acne treatment that works for everyone 100%, but if you haven't fully tried a HORMONALLY Balanced Healthy Diet, how do you know it doesn't work for you 100%? Regardless of what you chose to believe, the only thing that works is results, right? Well, after several attempts I've got mine, others got theirs, and I truly hope you find yours.

Best of Luck