Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amnesiac

ok so dermabrasion is bad?

Ok all i've been reading is bad things about dermabrasion, i mean what's the deal?

And even from patients of Dr.Y and such, i mean the odds that people who post here have had bad results are pretty slim yet everyone here either has not received good results or had complications, or no results at all.

I cancelled mine because i had problems with money and i post-poned it for september but if all this bad feedback continues i'll cancel it i guess, my skin is not that bad other than the scars in my cheeks but i would like improvement.

when i saw dr.y he felt my skin and looked at my scars and said i had the scars that dermabrasion was made for and that i may experience hyperpigmentation but nothing about this dry scaly skin or worse skin texture, and what is it with the redness and dermacation line?

I mean there are thousands before the people here who have had dermabrasion and i don't think that all dermabrasion like the people here yielded bad results.

I have your concerns too!

I am glad I cancelled mine. If the "bad press" continues, I may just decide not to get it at all. For some reason, my scars have not been bothering me since I had the punch floats.

Maybe I should just save the $4,500 and go on a shopping spree. hhhhhmmmmmm

when i saw dr.y he felt my skin and looked at my scars and said i had the scars that dermabrasion was made for and that i may experience hyperpigmentation

The people who come to an acne message board are either those who had negative results then came here to get help, or those who started here, learned about dermabrasio and then went out to get it done. It seems those who came here first and then got it done usually have a postive experience, those who didn't come here first are those where something went wrong and now their looking for answers. Most people who have success don't come back here.

Point is, what a few people on a message board is not a good way to base reasoning on whether it will work for you. Just talk to Dr. Y himself. He's the expert whose done thousands of these. He should know.

I understand but it has to be taken into consideration that most people here are experiencing either bad or little results, prolonged redness and problems with skin texture, i mean out of the little 5-6 group of people who have had it done most seem to have had bad results.

I myself would like imrpovement but not if i risk worse skin, money is no issue to me, heck money comes around again and again, if i had to pay $10,000 for better skin i would, i mean why not honestly?, how meaningful is my life that i "have" to use my money for "appropriate" things and so on. Each life is different, we have acne scars which probably most people if not all we will ever meet will be oblivious to them being "something" to worry about, i have them and i want to improve or get rid of them, impossible?, why?, of course not, there is treatment and maybe with time it will get better so i'm being optimistic about this all.

I understand but it has to be taken into consideration that most people here are experiencing either bad or little results, prolonged redness and problems with skin texture, i mean out of the little 5-6 group of people who have had it done most seem to have had bad results.

I agree with Miss Shady

I have had two wire brush dermabrasions and have had very good results. Yes I have had problems with redness, breakouts milia etc but they haven't bothered me because I expected them, doctor Y told me to expect it, and wait six months before judging final results. And after 5-6 months all these short term problems, exactly as he had said went away for long term benefit. If rough red skin is going to bother you for six months and you can't look past this, with the long term benefit of improved skin in mind, then you shouldn't have dermabrasion. Having had many procedures I realise this is why this one works so well because of the down time and the fact the skin is actually doing something to heal.

I did exactly what Doctor Y asked and told me and my results have been better than both of us expected. So I for one testify that I have had very good results and no bad press to report. In fact, bad press, to me seems so inaccurate because it has helped me so much.

Also I have spoken to at least 10 people from his office who have never posted or heard of this board, many who have had two or three dermabrasions, and they are all very happy with their results.

I have to agree with John and Miss Shady. I know that not everything works for everyone, but dermabrasion (plus floats/grafting) have been the most effective treatment for me thus far.

Hi John Sydney! So good to hear from you--I've been thinking about you lately and wondering how you are doing/ I couldn't agree more with what you said. I have had excellent results and am looking forward to my second dermabrasion this coming June. I thought my results had plateaued at about the 6 month mark, but I am absolutely certain that just in the past few weeks, I have seen even more improvement. This may in part be due to my recent decision to up my Vitamin C intake, but I really believe there is a reason Dr. Y cautions to give it at least a year before assessing final results. I'm very pleased. Best of luck to you!

--leo

i am not saying it's bad, heck i think about it every day, just wanting to do it but i am a little scared with having complications you know, Dr.Y is a great doctor and i asked him every question i had when i saw him, but my skin is fairly smooth and healthy, only my scars make it look bad really, i will probably go and do it but i feel a little uneasy not knowing exactly what may cause complications, i am fairly young and heal well so i am hoping that will help me.

miss shady- money is no issue, means spending the money on scar revision treatments for me is no issue, i had some family problems and had to use my money.

I am going to call dr.y to ask him personally then about complications and such.

thanks all for the replies, gives me hope smile.gif

Hi John Sydney! So good to hear from you--I've been thinking about you lately and wondering how you are doing/  I couldn't agree more with what you said.  I have had excellent results and am looking forward to my second dermabrasion this coming June.  I thought my results had plateaued at about the 6 month mark, but I am absolutely certain that just in the past few weeks, I have seen even more improvement.  This may in part be due to my recent decision to up my Vitamin C intake, but I really believe there is a reason Dr. Y cautions to give it at least a year before assessing final results.  I'm very pleased.  Best of luck to you!

--leo

If rough red skin is going to bother you for six months and you can't look past this,  with the long term benefit of improved skin in mind, then you shouldn't have dermabrasion.

im hopefully having mine in a few weeks. im glad im a chic so i can try & cover up the redness. i hope i know what im in for. ive done a lot of research so we'll see..

well i am mostly worried about discoloration and such since i am olive skinned, like spanish people or argetinians, but we will see i guess.

Also i am concerned because Dr.Y said i do not need floats yet i think my scars are icepicks and boxcars from what i've read and seen, some of them are like dents, some are mishapen shallow "holes", since i went for my consultation real early and just got up like an hour before my appointment i don't know if my face was plump, since in the morning my scars are barely visible only like 2 or 3 (does this mean my scars are shallow?)

Anyways what should i do? go in again?

Hi amnesiac,

That's a valid concern for color skin tone. I think you should see some good quality 6 months - 1year pics (contrast at demarcation line) before deciding.

Could anyone with yellow / olive / tan skin tone who has healed up voluteer please?

Thanks!

Sword

well i am mostly worried about discoloration and such since i am olive skinned, like spanish people or argetinians, but we will see i guess.

Hi amnesiac,

I had my dermabrasion 8 weeks ago, and my skin already looks better than it did before. I have light olive skin. All the complications you are talking about are temporary. Although they obviously have lasted longer for some people than others, they will not last forever. You have to decide if a few weeks to a few months of redness and peeling are worth a permanent improvement in your scars to you. If not, don't go through with it. I, for one, am completely glad I did. It was definitely hard during the red/peeling phase, but I'd go through it again, because now I don't think about how my skin looks all day long, I'm not self-conscious about standing under flourescent lights, and I don't cringe when I see my reflection in a window.

About the punch floats, Dr. Y also told me that I didn't need them, but after seeing animegirls' photos, I thought my scars looked similar to hers that were floated. So I went back again and pointed out to him the ones I was concerned about. He said he still didn't think I needed them, but he would do it if it made me happy. So, I ended up getting 10 punch floats. I think it gave me better improvement than if I hadn't gotten them, because I have a few other scars that were similar but smaller that don't look as good as the floated areas. The only concern is if the scar you want floated is too small, it can end up being more pronounced.

Hi rosegirl,

Glad you are happy with your results. Did you have more than ice picks? Also, why do you think if small scars are floated they can look more pronounced? Did this happen or did Dr. Y say something about it. I did have a float consult with him and didn't discuss that. I've now decided against full-face derma but am willing to have spot derma if necessary.

Thanks!

damn that sucks because i'd have to fly out again and see him for the floats but if it's worth it i should go you know, but he said i didn't need them so i am unsure sad.gif