Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Minnym0use

I NEVER SEE OTHER TEENS W/SCARS. ACNE

The other night we went to an Academic Banquet in honor of juniors and seniors who had at least a 3.5 GPA and an ACT of at least 25. They called EACH kid up one by one and my son was the ONLY one with red marks and scars. Believe me, he looks better than prior to this diet thing, but he is still healing. (I have to say though, that acne scars or not, he had the highest ACT score there, and he was also the only guy with longish hair)

So, the guy with scars had the smarts this time, eusa_clap.gif but I just thought it was very strange to see such flawless skin on everyone else.

It got me thinking - is everyone on tane or hiding out or what? eusa_think.gif

Anyone else notice this? wacko.gif

Everyone is hiding under makeup smile.gif Or atleast some of them ..

At my school I noticed that most kids have such nice skin .. but trust me - I've talked to a lot of girls I know and most of them that give off the appearence of perfect skin, don't have it. A lot of girls I know splurge on really good foundations and concealers to make their not-so-perfect skin look flawless.

Guest Avian

From what I've read on this forum, a 3.5 GPA is high. So perhaps the kids with acne/scars are too depressed and apathetic to do well, and your son is a lucky exception.

At my school this is the case. Most of the successful students have great skin. They are happy and they have a vision for the future. They want to succeed. Everything comes naturally to them, and there's nothing standing in their way. They will never know how lucky they are.

From what I've read on this forum, a 3.5 GPA is high. So perhaps the kids with acne/scars are too depressed and apathetic to do well, and your son is a lucky exception.

At my school this is the case. Most of the successful students have great skin. They are happy and they have a vision for the future. They want to succeed. Everything comes naturally to them, and there's nothing standing in their way. They will never know how lucky they are.

lol id think it would be the other way around. The people with acne would stay home and study while the people without it would go out and have fun and put off their school work. lol move ur son up to alaska, everyone here has acne and acne scars, its crazy, it defenetly has more people with acne then any other state, and ive been to alot.

lol id think it would be the other way around. The people with acne would stay home and study while the people without it would go out and have fun and put off their school work. lol move ur son up to alaska, everyone here has acne and acne scars, its crazy, it defenetly has more people with acne then any other state, and ive been to alot.

I would be really interested to know if you are familiar with the 'theory' that people in alaska didn't have acne until the western diet came there. Have your parents or grandparents said anything like this? Just wondering...  eusa_think.gif

I agree that a regulated diet can do a good bit to clear up acne in alot of cases, however, the problem I have with this is that it tends to cause people (at least on some level) to think that it's their fault that they have acne. That maybe if they had done something differently they would be like everyone else. This is horribly unfair and can crush someone's life view. It's bad enough to feel like you aren't attractive, it's twice as bad to think that it's all your fault.

The truth is even on a perfect diet someone with acne is still going to have acne. It can help to minimize the appearance of acne, but occasionally either you'll slip up, or you'll get a zit anyway, and for those of us with bad skin who are prone to developing either cysts or longer lasting acne and marks, then this can mean we have to deal with it for months. This is what is so unfair about acne. If someone told me what I could eat to have perfect skin it'd be great, but the truth is that all we can do is eat perfectly healthy to try and make our skin better than it would be, but still worse than most of those around us.

The reason you don't see alot of kids at school with bad acne is because it simply isn't that common. An occasional pimple here and there throughout puberty is of course common, and believe it or not THIS is the target audience for most of those acne products out there. All the OTC stuff we try to use on our acne is, in my opinion, not really designed or geared for moderate to severe acne because it is such a small demographic. Most kids who get even moderate acne immediately go on accutane nowadays, and frankly I don't blame em. The possible side effects are a small price to pay for years of your life. I'm 23 now, and I sometimes wish I had gone on accutane when I was younger. At this point I'm just going to wait it out.

Lastly, remember that for most people, however bad they are willing to admit they are hurt by acne is nowhere near as bad as they really feel. I think it's great that you do so much to try and help your kid with acne, I sometimes wish my parents had realized how much it hurt me and done more, but in the end I know it's because they just had no similar experience and couldn't begin to understand.

j

I agree that a regulated diet can do a good bit to clear up acne in alot of cases, however, the problem I have with this is that it tends to cause people (at least on some level) to think that it's their fault that they have acne.  That maybe if they had done something differently they would be like everyone else.  This is horribly unfair and can crush someone's life view.  It's bad enough to feel like you aren't attractive, it's twice as bad to think that it's all your fault.

The truth is even on a perfect diet someone with acne is still going to have acne.  It can help to minimize the appearance of acne, but occasionally either you'll slip up, or you'll get a zit anyway, and for those of us with bad skin who are prone to developing either cysts or longer lasting acne and marks, then this can mean we have to deal with it for months.  This is what is so unfair about acne.  If someone told me what I could eat to have perfect skin it'd be great, but the truth is that all we can do is eat perfectly healthy to try and make our skin better than it would be, but still worse than most of those around us.

The reason you don't see alot of kids at school with bad acne is because it simply isn't that common.  An occasional pimple here and there throughout puberty is of course common, and believe it or not THIS is the target audience for most of those acne products out there.  All the OTC stuff we try to use on our acne is, in my opinion, not really designed or geared for moderate to severe acne because it is such a small demographic.  Most kids who get even moderate acne immediately go on accutane nowadays, and frankly I don't blame em.  The possible side effects are a small price to pay for years of your life.  I'm 23 now, and I sometimes wish I had gone on accutane when I was younger.  At this point I'm just going to wait it out.

Lastly, remember that for most people, however bad they are willing to admit they are hurt by acne is nowhere near as bad as they really feel.  I think it's great that you do so much to try and help your kid with acne, I sometimes wish my parents had realized how much it hurt me and done more, but in the end I know it's because they just had no similar experience and couldn't begin to understand.

j

Guest OrangeFlower

Yeah, I watched C-SPAN2 last night and some French students were having an open forum with Jacques Chirac about the European Constitution.

Anyways, everyone looked beautiful!! Their skin was soo clear, and smooth and even toned

it made me want to go to France and beg them for their secrets....

I would be really interested to know if you are familiar with the 'theory' that people in alaska didn't have acne until the western diet came there. Have your parents or grandparents said anything like this? Just wondering...  eusa_think.gif

this thread got me thinking. You know when you read articles about acne and you here people talk about it the common thing that is said is that 80% of kids deal with acne or that most people will go through it and it is common in adolescence.BULLSHIT!!!! That is so misleading.Let me figure, most those people included in that percentage are the ones who get 1 pimple here or there and don't really have to deal with it over a lengthy period of time. It would be more realistic if they said only 1% had to deal with true acne.

It just bugs me how people say the majority of teens deal with acne but when you look around, most have flawless skin.

I agree that a regulated diet can do a good bit to clear up acne in alot of cases, however, the problem I have with this is that it tends to cause people (at least on some level) to think that it's their fault that they have acne. That maybe if they had done something differently they would be like everyone else. This is horribly unfair and can crush someone's life view.  It's bad enough to feel like you aren't attractive, it's twice as bad to think that it's all your fault.

The truth is even on a perfect diet someone with acne is still going to have acne.  It can help to minimize the appearance of acne, but occasionally either you'll slip up, or you'll get a zit anyway, and for those of us with bad skin who are prone to developing either cysts or longer lasting acne and marks, then this can mean we have to deal with it for months.  This is what is so unfair about acne.  If someone told me what I could eat to have perfect skin it'd be great, but the truth is that all we can do is eat perfectly healthy to try and make our skin better than it would be, but still worse than most of those around us.

The reason you don't see alot of kids at school with bad acne is because it simply isn't that common.  An occasional pimple here and there throughout puberty is of course common, and believe it or not THIS is the target audience for most of those acne products out there.  All the OTC stuff we try to use on our acne is, in my opinion, not really designed or geared for moderate to severe acne because it is such a small demographic.  Most kids who get even moderate acne immediately go on accutane nowadays, and frankly I don't blame em.  The possible side effects are a small price to pay for years of your life.  I'm 23 now, and I sometimes wish I had gone on accutane when I was younger.  At this point I'm just going to wait it out.

Lastly, remember that for most people, however bad they are willing to admit they are hurt by acne is nowhere near as bad as they really feel.  I think it's great that you do so much to try and help your kid with acne, I sometimes wish my parents had realized how much it hurt me and done more, but in the end I know it's because they just had no similar experience and couldn't begin to understand.

j

I agree that a regulated diet can do a good bit to clear up acne in alot of cases, however, the problem I have with this is that it tends to cause people (at least on some level) to think that it's their fault that they have acne. That maybe if they had done something differently they would be like everyone else. This is horribly unfair and can crush someone's life view.  It's bad enough to feel like you aren't attractive, it's twice as bad to think that it's all your fault.

j

j

My apologies for the triplicated post-- computer glitch. Could a mod please delete? Cheers.

I saw two on friday o.O I felt really sorry for them but I couldn't bring the acne topic up. I talked only to one of them about some stupid stuff...

I saw two on friday o.O I felt really sorry for them but I couldn't bring the acne topic up. I talked only to one of them about some stupid stuff...

I commend your son for doing so well in school - I'm 18, I had to drop out, but I'm trying to go to college here soon, meh. tongue.gif

Anyways, it's surprising how many kids with acne seemingly DO NOT CARE, that's probably why they don't have scars, they don't pick, clean too much, use BP, etc etc etc, things that cause scars.

I go to the mall, I don't see many people with acne, but those who do don't seem to mind at all, they get real close to people and stuff, I would never do that back when I had it "bad". tongue.gif And some of them have it worse than I did.

I had perfect skin in high school and so did all of myfriends. I really don't think there were many kids in hs with acne (or i don't remember.) Yea, but I get the worst kind, the hormonal cysts that scar. They only come every so often, but the scars take months to heal. Hormones are the worst why couldn't i be born a male?

this thread got me thinking. You know when you read articles about acne and you here people talk about it the common thing that is said is that 80% of kids deal with acne or that most people will go through it and it is common in adolescence.BULLSHIT!!!! That is so misleading.Let me figure, most those people included in that percentage are the ones who get 1 pimple here or there and don't really have to deal with it over a lengthy period of time. It would be more realistic if they said only 1% had to deal with true acne. 

It just bugs me how people say the majority of teens deal with acne but when you look around, most have flawless skin.

The worst is when somebody really unattractive has clear skin. What a waste. Makes me think "If I had your skin, I'd be fucking gorgeous!"

And I agree that acne isn't really as common as people make it out to be. Most people get the occasional breakout with no scarring.

EDIT- I misspelled "acne" and posted "anne" instead. D'oh!

yea, I have always been pissed about how they say "at least 85% of teenagers get acne" in statistics. I call those "one or two pimples a month". I am a teenager myself and when I look around in school there were only about 3 kids including myself with moderate acne. Sometimes I really want to know "Why me??" cry.gif

The worst is when somebody really unattractive has clear skin. What a waste. Makes me think "If I had your skin, I'd be fucking gorgeous!"

And I agree that anne isn't really as common as people make it out to be. Most people get the occasional breakout with no scarring.