Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ecko777

bp gel-set this strait

I have heard some people say bp gel helps with whiteheads and blackheads, and others insist that it doesnt since there is no active beacteria in white and black heads. Since bp kills bacteria it shouldnt work on whiteheads and blackheads, right? Anyone who thinks they have an answer from their own experience please reply.

I have heard some people say bp gel helps with whiteheads and blackheads, and others insist that it doesnt since there is no active beacteria in white and black heads.  Since bp kills bacteria it shouldnt work on whiteheads and blackheads, right?  Anyone who thinks they have an answer from their own experience please reply.

I think that this is how it works: BP prevents upcoming pimples with its antibacterial action, while drying out current pimples. This may help remove blackheads and whiteheads with sustained usage.

BP also causes speeded-up peeling within the follicle, so that the sebum/dead skin cells don't get trapped in there, where they mix with p.acnes and either form a blackhead (open comedone) or "whitehead" (closed comedone). Full-on red papules and pustules are the result of the follicle wall breaking and releasing their contents; blood cells then rush to the scene to try to clear up the infection, thus the redness and swelling.

So when you see the peeling and dryness on the surface, that's an indication that you're also getting the same within the follicle (which, when you think about it, is still the surface of the skin, just a pothole if you will).

P. acnes is anaerobic so when exposed to oxygen it can't survive. BP releases oxygen, thus kills the bacteria.

The whole point of BP treatment isn't so much to get rid of what's already there, although it will help speed that up. It's more about not letting new microcomedones form. And, microcomedones can't be seen by the naked eye, so really when you start treatment there may be more to purge from your skin than you think. The best benefits you'll see are likely a few months down the road although I'm sure it's different for everyone.

It's kinda like when you stop using credit cards--still takes a while to pay off the old bills but at least you aren't adding to the problem.

So I understand that BP gel will eventually kill all the bacteria, but does anyone know how long does it take to get rid of the blackheads and white heads?

I've noticed with the BP gel that I'm getting less pimples, but more blackheads that take forever to go away. If what LTP is saying is true, then the blackheads will need to be "pushed out" by my skin but it might take months?

Also... if the dead skin is what's falling into the pores then wouldn't a gentle scrub help eliminate the dead skin? Or would the scrub just push the dead skin back into the pores? I'm so confused.

LTP.. are you all clear? If so, how long did it take?

The point of a cleanser or exfoliation is to softly buff away dead skin cells and to hydrate and clean the cells (if it is medicated.) So yeah a cleanser will do wonders. You have to be SO gentle with your skin I can't even stress how important it is.

Benzoyl peroxide kills something like 99% of active P. Acnes bacteria within a day or so. I forget the exact figures, but benzoyl peroxide is the best medication ever researched at killing the bacteria that exists in both blackheads and whiteheads.

Retinoids like Retin-A are known for helping the follicle shed cells more quickly which helps them from becoming blocked. Benzoyl peroxide has a mild drying and peeling effect that is also thought to help prevent pores from becoming blocked. But since no one knows exactly what causes acne it's hard to say definitively why one thing works when another does not.

As far as dead skin atop the surface, this does not "clog" a pore. Pores are not clogged top down. They are like a straw that collapses on itself bottom to top. That's why you'll read over and over that dirt does not cause acne. That is because what is on the surface of your skin does not clog a pore. It is an intricate process that occurs along the length of the follicle, not just at the top.

I have read that acne can take weeks or even months to show up after the process begins. That's why it's so important to stick to any acne regimen for a few months to give it a fair shot. Also, that's why when you happen to break out it is important to look not only at the recent past but also a few weeks back and see if the acne that is showing up might have started to form back then.

Dan is right...patience patience patience. The acne you have now took time to develop, it will take a little time to clear. Being really consistent and gentle is key, stick with it. I know it's hard but it's worth it!

If your acne is really inflammatory then the best thing to do is just keep at it with the BP and keep hands off (as hard as that is). If you tend to get more blackheads and whitehads, you can see a professional esthetician and get some extractions that can speed up the process of getting out what's already there. You may not look great right after the appointment but much smoother next day!