Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i was using aloe guard but way to harsh. so im ended up at just washing with water.(i think itll be better)

this stuff didn't do anything for me, i can't believe i used it so long! i'm very dissappointed with this stuff. I've moved on from this stuff and am using Nature's Cure's Shower kit.

Crap... I tried the Provon stuff and I developed 4 nodules! I haven't had a nodule in almost a freakin' year! I think it clogged me pretty bad...

Will bacteria develop any kind of resistance to PCMX (Chloroxylenol)?

I'm aware that it kills off a spectrum of different bacteria so I'm a little concerned if using this long term has any negative impacts.

I searched the forum but didn't find any suitable answers.... thx

Update for me! I am still using the Hibiclens, which I think is similar to Provon, and I am still clear. I do get an occasional pimple or two, but not new ones every day like I used to! I love this stuff..

PS The thermal fusion enzyme mask gets rid of my blackheads every time I use it! But they only stay away for 3-4 days, so I use it twice a week and my nose looks super smooth.

I'm aware that it kills off a spectrum of different bacteria so I'm a little concerned if using this long term has any negative impacts.

Back when I pierced my belly button I read about a soap called Provon to use on it. I decided to try it on my face. It has cleared up my skin to the point that I can comfortably go with out make up!!!  I purchased a 4 oz bottle of "Provon Medicated Lotion Soap with Chloroxylenol". It cost me less than $4.00.I dont remember the shipping cost.

yeah... does anyone know anything about that? i was wondering about it too. that's why i was reluctant to try it. is it an antibiotic?

PCMX is used as in hospitals to prep surgeons hands and patients. If resistence occured, they would not be able to use it for long. Nurses and doctors use those scrubs every day.

690655[/snapback]

yeah... does anyone know anything about that? i was wondering about it too. that's why i was reluctant to try it. is it an antibiotic?

It is neither practical nor prudent to regularly apply measures in excess of those required to maintain a healthy population. Following disinfection ordecontamination, a flora will repopulate the environment that has an increasedprobability of containing resistant or exotic organisms. Because disinfectant andsterilant biocides generally have nonspecific mechanisms of action, this is less of a problem than antibiotic resistance but it remains an important consideration.

I hope that helps. On another note, those who are sensitive to Dettol or Provon or AloeGuard (which has TEA-lauryl sulfate) you may want to try EcoTru. It only has 0.2% PCMX but their site says that it has no unpleasant smell and it's totally safe...you can even drink it!

http://www.crosstex.com/products/disinfectants/ecotru.asp

http://www.envirosi.com/

Because it uses nanoemulsion technology, the molecules are smaller and it doesn't need a higher concentration of PCMX. Therefore it's actually safer than its competitors.

http://www.ewire.com/display.cfm/Wire_ID/1271

Alright kids, I have never used anything off this site. I'm a pretty tough-skinned dude -- I use 10% BP every morning and evening, it keeps me pretty light, but I'd like to take it to the next level, so I'm giving the Provon a whirl. Should be here in a few days, I'll let you know.

PROVON -- the #1 skin care brand in U.S. nursing homes -- is now available for those giving and receiving care in the home. Use these gentle, effective PROVON products for hand hygiene, bathing, moisturizing, and personal and incontinent care.

Thats what it says on the web site. I dont see where it is not safe.

This info is GREAT. If Spectro Jel doesnt work for me, I will give this a shot. I just purchased Spectro Jel today (the jel and the pads) and I also got Neutrogena Clear Pore On-The-Spot w/2.5% BP for spot treatment.

I will keep this in mind if Spectro doesnt do a thing for me. :think:

PS. I love Keith too! I saw him in March 04 in Vancouver!! :wub:

I bought aloegaurd awhile back and my husband, who has been in the surgical field for over a decade, advised me NOT to use it. He was worried that I would blind myself. :wall: I guess it is really bad to get into your eyes. So, my question is: if you are a girl (or guy - I guess) how do you deal with eye makeup while using this particular medicated soap? Do you shut your eyes really tight or do you avoid your eyes and wash around them. I have decided to start using it b/c I have really wanted to but been to frightened. I hate acne and it is so bad again - I had been clear since July and now it is back with a vengence!

ALso, can I use my salicylic wipes? Or will it wipe off the medication? Thanks for any help here!

I take off my eye make up with grapeseed oil.

So, you don't get the soap anywhere near your eyes?

How about when you rinse the soap off?

I use a handmade honey/oatmeal/goatmilk soap...........I dont wash my eyelids with soap,never have and never saw a need too. After I wash my face with my oatmeal soap I rinse the washcloth out and wipe off my eyes.

I use a handmade honey/oatmeal/goatmilk soap...........I dont wash my eyelids with soap,never have and never saw a need too. After I wash my face with my oatmeal soap I rinse the washcloth out and wipe off my eyes.

I'm using Provon with Jessfoliation. it's working good so far. not dry at all

Just for the people wondering if Dettol is any good (since it has PCMX in it)

I used the Dettol Antibacterial Liquid Handwash for sensitive skin about 5 months to keep me clear (after i cleared up using FaceDoctor soap). Wash my face for about 5 minutes with it before i go to sleep every day, gently rubbing it in, then rinsing it off. I don't use a towel, i don't use any other products on my face, i try not to scratch my head too much :angel: , leave my skin like that. The acne never came back during those 5 months (except some blackheads next to hair line, not noticable). The dettol is cheap in comparison to all the other products, and really works if you wash daily before bedtime. So if you can't get provon in a store near you, try to find the dettol liquid handwash for sensitive skin instead!

Currently i'm experimenting with just plain Sunlight shower gel ~neutral HP, it dries up the face really good after you leave it on for 5 minutes. Even cheaper then Dettol and so far so good (2 months) Maybe some of you guys all search your hail in too much, too harsh or too expensive products ;) For me sporting 2 times a week, eating more healthy and using the Sunlight shower gel is about enough to keep everything under control. If i have small breakouts whilst using Sunlight shower gel i change gears and use the Dettol for a couple of days untill it's gone.

Just my 2 cents or the thread that put me on the right track of using medical soap - btw tnx KeithUrbanLover for sharing :dance:

I bought aloegaurd awhile back and my husband, who has been in the surgical field for over a decade, advised me NOT to use it. He was worried that I would blind myself. :wall: I guess it is really bad to get into your eyes. So, my question is: if you are a girl (or guy - I guess) how do you deal with eye makeup while using this particular medicated soap? Do you shut your eyes really tight or do you avoid your eyes and wash around them. I have decided to start using it b/c I have really wanted to but been to frightened. I hate acne and it is so bad again - I had been clear since July and now it is back with a vengence!

ALso, can I use my salicylic wipes? Or will it wipe off the medication? Thanks for any help here!

So, has anyone else had trouble with getting it in their eyes? How do you avoid it when rinsing off your face? Does the package have any warnings about getting it in your eyes? I've just ordered some Provon so I'd like to hear what others say about this before I use it.

Still afraid to use it. I am such a chicken, but I don't want to go blind or use something that the second I stop it will come back worse than before. I need as much information and personal experience as possible. And like the above poster; how do you keep it out of your eyes while rinsing.

ABOVE POSTER: My Aloeguard specifically warns against getting it into your eyes. It says it can cause eye damage. Maybe it is just Aloeguard; let me know about Provon or others. THanks so much!!!!

I guess I just dont get it. I dont put any soap on my eyes. I dont get acne on my eyes either. I take my makeup off with grapeseed oil and I wash my eyelids with a gentle cleanser. Unless you are just slinging this stuff all over your face you will be fine. If you dont want to use the soap try the dettol cream. I use it too. Also you can wash with a regular soap and tone with a dettol diluted formula. I added a cap full to a bottle of spring water often.