Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back when I pierced my belly button I read about a soap called Provon to use on it. I decided to try it on my face. It has cleared up my skin to the point that I can comfortably go with out make up!!! I purchased a 4 oz bottle of "Provon Medicated Lotion Soap with Chloroxylenol". It cost me less than $4.00.I dont remember the shipping cost.

Chloroxylenol is what doctors use to prep before surgery. It's also what's an acne product I once saw. It kills all bateria(Ibcluding P Acnes) for 12 hours, I suppose that's what is helping you.

I love it. My skin isnt oily as much but not all dried out. It is clearing up the pimples and the red blotches. I have not ask my doctor if it would hurt to use on a daily basis. I personally cant see where it would. I am 32 years old and am tired of the pimples. Provon is all over the hospitals and doctors offices. It is in the soap dispensers in the bathrooms at hospitals,nursing homes and even my church.

From the site I bought it from They sell all kinds of personal care products with chloroxylenol in it. They are recommended for people who are incontinent and bed ridden for keeping clean. In my opinion if they are safe for elderly people (who's skin is more fragile than mine and thinner) to use several times a day then it cant hurt my face.

The bottle says recommended for repeated use and as long as it clears up my skin I plan to. smile.gif I didnt know about the 12 hours time that it would kill bacteria. I guess with me using it 2 times a day I am getting 24 hour benefits. Thats really cool to know. Thanks for the info!

how long does that 4oz bottle last ya???

could you tell me where you bought it~? so maybe i can go try it :^_^

my 4 ounce bottle will last for quite a while.......I dont know the exact time but its a few months. I only use the size of a dime for my entire face. I also let it sit on my face for about 30-60 seconds.Keep in mind I am not the only person who uses my soap either. I share with my husband and daughter. I just purchased 3-4 oz bottles and a 1000ml bag for $28.00. One 4 ounce bottle is 118ml. Its cheaper to buy the bag but I wanted the bottles to refill. I keep one in the bathroom,one in the kitchen and I have one for my purse. I think the bag was around 11 bucks and 1 bottle was a little under 4 bucks. I am not sure but I think to order 1 bottle with shipping it is around 7 bucks. If you can get it with out ordering that would be great. I dont live close to a store that carries it. Here is the web site I got it from. Be sure you get the one that has PCMX(which is chloroxylenol)in it.

http://staywell.gojo.com/product/product.html

I have spent sooooo much money on acne products that do not work that I wouldnt care how much this stuff cost. As long as it works I will buy it. I have had a lot of products that dried my skin out so bad. This doesnt dry me out. It actually makes me feel soft and it helps cut down on the oil.

I hope this info helps. The emotional trauma of acne is more than I can take. I am so glad to have something that is helping. I hope many others find it helpful.

I just done a web search and found a web site that sells a product with Chloroxylenol in it. They have a message board just like ours where people can post. I discoverd this on my own but I am not the only person who figured out it works.

This is not harsh at all. In fact it is the mildest thing I have EVER used. It doesnt dry out my skin and leave it itchy,red and scaley. If you are unsure about it call your doctor. Write the company that makes it.

My skin looks better than it ever has. I am almost flawless. I just wanted to pass along my info.

No sting,no burn,it isnt harsh and doesnt dry out my skin. I do have sensetive skin. Most of the acne products out there leave me looking like I have a sun burn or dry my skin out to the point I am flakey. I am moisturizing with a generic form of Lubriderm.

PROVON -- the #1 skin care brand in U.S. nursing homes -- is now available for those giving and receiving care in the home. Use these gentle, effective PROVON products for hand hygiene, bathing, moisturizing, and personal and incontinent care.

Thats what it says on the web site. I dont see where it is not safe.

I think you have something here. You mentioned that your skin is not dry or irritated. These products contain emollients designed to help skin stay soft. The reasoning is that irritated skin is more easily infected.

My sister in law actually works for the company that makes these products. I will talk to her about it and see what she has to say about it. Incidentally, she has been an acne sufferer herself and still has the occasional flare up. She also took Accutane in the 80's when it first came out.

I will post back after I have spoken to her. I will try to find info regarding the safety of using the product on facial skin.

Again, thanks for posting and glad you have found what helps you.

goldengirl~ Thanks! I cant wait to see what you find out. I sent a email to the company to see what their take is on it. I have not gotten an answer yet. For me it doesnt matter. I am going to continue using this soap as long as it works.

Guest Anubis

there are so many products there...what one do you use?

Guest Anubis
She said what she got in the first post: "Provon Medicated Lotion Soap with Chloroxylenol".  Chloroxylenol = PCMX.  I think it's a known treatment for acne.

Actually, visiting that site and seeing the Purell products being sold there has made me wonder if that would be any good for acne.  Anyone ever tried it?

Guest Anubis

here's some info on purell

What ingredients are used in PURELL?

Active ingredient: Ethyl Alcohol 62%

Other ingredients: Isopropyl Alcohol, Carbomer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Isopropyl Myristate and Fragrance.

PURELL contains a unique blend of ingredients that helps moisturize hands to leave them feeling soft and smooth.

Why do you use ethyl alcohol in PURELL?

It is considered "mother nature's disinfectant." According to the American Journal of Infection Control, August 1995, "Alcohols applied to the skin are among the safest known antiseptics."

Isn't alcohol drying to the skin?

Alcohol by itself can be drying to the skin. However, PURELL is not because:

During use, PURELL is not wiped off with towels. Instead, it is allowed to evaporate so it does not remove the skin's moisture and natural oils. PURELL contains a unique blend of ingredients that helps moisturize hands to leave them feeling soft and smooth. You can use PURELL all day long without drying the skin. Also, PURELL has been used and recommended by nurses and other caregivers for more than ten years. PURELL has been tested by a Board Certified dermatologist and was shown to have a low risk of skin irritation and allergic contact dermatitis.

Does PURELL leave a residue?

No. Once PURELL has evaporated, there is virtually no residue or "stickiness" on the skin. Hands are left feeling soft and refreshed.

For how long after I use PURELL does it kill germs?

PURELL has no residual germ-killing effect. PURELL kills germs on contact, but once it has evaporated, the germ-killing action has stopped.

Where do the germs go?

Alcohol breaks down germs' cell walls causing them to die and fall off your skin 

I heard a long long time ago, that the best wash to use for acne, were the 'soaps' they use in hospitals.. but I'd forgotten all abot it until I read this post.

Does anyone know if 'Provon' is available in the UK?.. and if it isn't, does anyone know what the UK version is?

Dee~ I have no idea if they are in the UK. Surely the hospitals over there use something similar. I would ask around. As for the site I order from over here I dont know if they ship to the UK or not. Surely the shipping can not be that bad. Even if you can not get Provon-which is a name brand -you should be able to get chloroxylenol. That is the active ingerdient. I will look around and If I find anything I will let you know.

Purell is different from what I am using. Purell is a name brand just like Provon. They are both made by GoJo.......I wouldnt dare use GoJo on my face,nor would I use Purell.

I cant understand how everyone thinks this is so harsh. You can look at my face and see results. It has ingredients in it that actually cause my skin to be soft. In my opinion Retin A was harsh,BP was harsh,SA was harsh,those acne pads were harsh,face scrubs are harsh. How can chloroxylenol be any more dangerous than any of these products. It just so happens that the other site I found using Chloroxylenol as a acne treatment is run by a doctor from UAMS in Arkansas. Thats a medical school. Obviously this doctor found something and marketed it for his own profit. He is selling a face soap for acne on his site for $20.00......its the same thing I am using for $3.49! Health care professionals use this soap over and over and over on a daily basis. Its says it is recommended for repeated use and no where on the bottle does it say not intended for the face.

I hate to sound harsh but dont knock it till you try it. Whats the worst that can happen? It dont work........but what if it does. It does for me. I have heard of people taking a lot more drastic measures to heal acne.

This soap is also helping to get rid of the ugly blackheads my 11 year old daughter has started to develop.

Guest Anubis

I don't really think there would be anything wrong with using this product either. Skin is skin, right? If it's a hand soap for hospitals, then it gets used MANY times a day. Doctors and staff have to wash after each patient, right?

I contacted the makers or Provon. They said it is not recommended for the face(obviously meaning they have not studdied it),but turned around and said if it is not causing no redness or irritation that it was safe to continue use. There is a Material Safety Data sheet on the GoJo web site. This link should take you to it.

http://media.gojo.com/msds/english/PROVONM...xylenolPCMX.pdf

From what I can see you should not wash your eyes with it or eat it. Since I do neither I think I am ok. I think each person should research for themselves and decide what is best for them. I have done plenty of research and have tried plenty of products. Provon has been my answer. I have proof when I look in the mirror and thats good enough for me.

I want to apologize if I have come across as harsh in my past post. I am so traumatized over acne and I feel so much of my life has been controlled by it. I have found something that for the first time in my life makes my acne go away. I can go out with no make up! I dont feel ugly! Ihave no reason to promote Provon other than hoping someone else can be granted with the gift of clear skin.

I wish each and every one of you nothing more than healthy clear beautiful skin. We all have the same goal!!!!