Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bartman

minocycline and retin-a micro gel

hey everyone... here is my predicament... my acne has cleared up tremendously since i have been on these 2 prescriptions. I still get a few new pimples every now and then, but nothing that doesn't dissapear with a red spot over night after i pop it. However, I've read that minocycline only suppresses p acnes, and that once you come off of it it comes back just as bad or worse. I really don't want that to happen, because that will just destroy all of the self confidence that I have built since clearing up. But, I don't think that my dermatologist will be taking me off because I'm not completely cleared up yet. But there will be about a 2 week period where I will run out of mino and retin-a before I get my check up, so basically my prescriptions run out until then. I just want to know if the mino will stay in my system that long, and if it will keep fighting the pimples. thanks for your time..

hmm dangerous.

from personal experience, my acne came back worse after antibiotics, as yea, they only control the bacteria, which eventually becomes stronger and immune to the drug, causing mass breakouts. Although.... this isnt the case for everyone.

I personally wouldnt recommend antibiotics to anyone for a long term solution.

You could start taking low dose B5 while on mino and work up toward the end of your treatment, then see if that can control your acne. Or use small amounts of BP to continue the control of the bacteria. Keep hassling your doc for a new prescription to cover those 2 weeks, as i would be worried also.

Problem is, I don't have an appointment to see him till those 2 weeks are over. When I first went in to see him, he asked me if I was wanting to go on Accutane, and I told him yes. He said he didn't want to just create another Accutane patient, and I was like well that's like telling a cancer patient that you don't want to create another Kemo patient... So he gave me the 2 prescriptions and a pamphlet on Accutane and an Informed Consent/Patient Agreement form and told me I could fill that out an return it if I decided I wanted to go on Accutane. I'm just curious if anyone has had any success in the long term with anti-biotics? Do doctors only prescribe them with the idea that eventually it will go away by itself and that they will just suppress it until then? Why not just fix it the best way in the first go? If I did get an accutane prescription, will it make my acne worse at first?

I was also thinking, about once a weekend I go and stay with my girlfriend, and during that time I miss applying the retin-a and I sometimes miss the mino. How bad is missing just one dose?

edit: oh and what is b5 exactly? and with the BP, should i start applying it at night in place of the retin-a after that prescription runs out? during the day i wear a moisturizer because my face gets embarassingly dry, would that get in the way of BP?

thanks a ton

I was also thinking, about once a weekend I go and stay with my girlfriend, and during that time I miss applying the retin-a and I sometimes miss the mino. How bad is missing just one dose?

hmmmm... Well I'm thinking that I will buy some of the BP Gel and start applying a small amount of it every morning after my shower but before I put on my moisturizer. Thanks so much, both of you have helped ease my mind. I really appreciate your help, and I'm glad a forum like this exists. Thanks again!

you are right to be worried. but i agree with those two^. bp will hold em off untill you get a new perscription. also, i say this to everyone, but do not just "come off" mino suddenly. you are likely to breakout very badly, thats what happened to me first time. instead, come off gradually, it'll be much better for you and you shouldn't break out. keep controlling it with bp.

hmmmm... Well I'm thinking that I will buy some of the BP Gel and start applying a small amount of it every morning after my shower but before I put on my moisturizer. Thanks so much, both of you have helped ease my mind. I really appreciate your help, and I'm glad a forum like this exists. Thanks again!

How should I gradually come off of it? Should I start taking 1 pill a day now and see how that works out? Should I start applying the BP in the mornings right away, even though I am putting retin-a on at night? If I start applying BP it's not going to make my skin break out if it's already under control is it? Should I try to get my appointment moved to before my prescription runs out? Also, what kinds of probiotics should I look into?

thanks

loads of q's on the last one. smile.gif well, i've just popped my first pill of mino. and boy, that took a whole chunk of my time researching about its effects. but yeah, in the end, i did want to do it. okay. anyway, moving along. i say, yeah, gradually 'ween' yourself out of mino by taking it once a day ( from 2x) then, do an every other day routine, gradually taking it say, once every 2,3,4,5 days until you no longer need it. ~ well, that's what i've researched so far anyway, and that's prolly the method i'd go with after i clear up. im using stievamycin, w/c i suppose, works just like retin-a. i do get loads of drying so, i use a moisturizer. well, i say, use the bp gel only when you don't need the moisturizer, when you're at home, say. as for pro-biotics, i've already started taking them now. that and a liver cleansing pill, grapefruit seed extract pill. i'm currently looking into that b5. oh and vitamin C as i heard it would help with any pigmentation mino might cause ( i'm asian and very prone to pigmentations ) so yeah, my .02 let us know how you're faring along aiiight?