Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vaporjourney

Hummus recipes?

I've noticed an abundance of people advocating hummus as a safe food to eat with your veggies to add flavor. After surfing the net, i've noticed how many variations on hummus there are, and all have so many variations in ingredients. I'm wondering which recipe do you use that is known to be safe with acne. Also, any other recommended dips to go with veggies would be great. I don't mind eating carrots, celery, or cucumbers, but find it very cumbersome without some sort of dip, and I know better than resorting to salad dressing.

I've noticed an abundance of people advocating hummus as a safe food to eat with your veggies to add flavor.  After surfing the net, i've noticed how many variations on hummus there are, and all have so many variations in ingredients.  I'm wondering which recipe do you use that is known to be safe with acne.  Also, any other recommended dips to go with veggies would be great.  I don't mind eating carrots, celery, or cucumbers, but find it very cumbersome without some sort of dip, and I know better than resorting to salad dressing.

I've noticed an abundance of people advocating hummus as a safe food to eat with your veggies to add flavor.  After surfing the net, i've noticed how many variations on hummus there are, and all have so many variations in ingredients.  I'm wondering which recipe do you use that is known to be safe with acne.  Also, any other recommended dips to go with veggies would be great.  I don't mind eating carrots, celery, or cucumbers, but find it very cumbersome without some sort of dip, and I know better than resorting to salad dressing.

Thanks for answering that question.  Since you brought up peanut butter, I have often wondered if the cause, or one of the causes of my sons acne is all of the peanut butter that he eats.  He eats PBand J's until they are coming out of his ears (and maybe his pours too!).  We will soon find out, though, because he started the new way of eating yesterday!

I have replaced peanet butter with almond butter which I find MUCH more delicious. Thanks for the hummus recipe. I made hummus 2 nights ago but it came out just so-so. I am going to try this recipe now. A few days ago, I made some delicious guacamole (that also is ok for the diet):

2 plum tomatoes

2 firm-ripe California avocados

2 tablespoons minced red onion

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1 teaspoon minced garlic

Quarter tomatoes, discarding seeds, and chop. Halve and pit avocados. Scoop avocado flesh into a bowl and mash. Stir in tomatoes, remaining ingredients, and salt and pepper to taste.

I put in on top of brown rice cakes - YUM!

I have replaced peanet butter with almond butter which I find MUCH more delicious. Thanks for the hummus recipe. I made hummus 2 nights ago but it came out just so-so. I am going to try this recipe now. A few days ago, I made some delicious guacamole (that also is ok for the diet):

2 plum tomatoes

2 firm-ripe California avocados

2 tablespoons minced red onion

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1 teaspoon minced garlic

Quarter tomatoes, discarding seeds, and chop. Halve and pit avocados. Scoop avocado flesh into a bowl and mash. Stir in tomatoes, remaining ingredients, and salt and pepper to taste.

I put in on top of brown rice cakes - YUM!

where can I find tahini for the Hummus? I was able to score all of the other ingredients at the supermarket. Perhaps I'll have to look at the health food store when I go tomorrow to pick up bentonite powder and Psillium husks..?

where can I find tahini for the Hummus?  I was able to score all of the other ingredients at the supermarket.  Perhaps I'll have to look at the health food store when I go tomorrow to pick up bentonite powder and Psillium husks..?

You should be able to find tahini at a regular grocery store.  You might have to ask, I'm not sure what aisle it would be in.  If not, you can definitely find it at a health food store.

Guest OrangeFlower

hey, thanks for your response-that was quick!

yeah, i read in a book to stick with 'paleo foods'

like veggies, fruit, unprocessed food etc. because these foods are supposed to be compatible with your dna

however i find it difficult to stay away from cheese and sugar sad.gif

i like to put sugar in my tea

otherwise i gave up coffee and dairy products a couple of weeks ago

and i rarely eat cookies, donuts and that kind of junk anyways so saying goodbye to those foods wasn't hard

i love hummus

if you guys like that you should try this stuff called 'kashk' its a persian style eggplant dip

hm

maybe i should find the recipe and post it!

Guest OrangeFlower

well, i found the recipe really quickly but you have to purchase thick whey

which is better found in a middle eastern supermarket, iranian store or whatever..so maybe its too impractical..

confused.gif

would anyone here want to try it?

well, i found the recipe really quickly but you have to purchase thick whey

which is better found in a middle eastern supermarket, iranian store or whatever..so maybe its too impractical..

confused.gif

would anyone here want to try it?

Guest OrangeFlower

small eggplants, 6

kashk, one glass (kashk is thick whey, and should be purchased in Iran or at an Iranian store) or middle eastern store-order it somehow its worth it

if you really like this type of food you can use whey in persian soups

tomato paste, one spoon

medium onions, 2

dried mint, 2 spoons (or 200 grams of fresh mint)

cooking oil

salt

black pepper

Directions:

Peel eggplants and slice length-wise to a thickness of 1 cm. Add salt and pepper and fry on both sides on medium heat until golden. Add half a cup of hot water to one spoon of tomato paste and mix well. Add to eggplants and cook over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes.

Peel onions and slice thinly. Fry in oil until golden. Also fry dried mint in oil for a few minutes. Alternatively, fresh mint can be used. If so, wash and finely chop mint, then fry in oil. Pour kashk evenly over eggplants, follow with onions and mint, then serve.

anyhow thats 'kashk' its delicious! i used to eat it in the OC where i used to live-it has a very high persian pop.

Damn, I made hummus for the first time today, thats some good stuff!!!

Tastes delicious and can be eaten with all kinds of foods, gonna make this every week :)

Receipe I used was

Bunch of raw chickpeas, soaked 8 hours and cooked 1.5 hours

Big scoop of tahini

2 cloves of garlic

A bit of kefir

Some salt

And some cooking fluids

As you can see Im not much of a measuring type

Got some cooked chickpeas left, gonna try it with avocado (and some lemon) tonight

NICEEEEE :)