Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

sad.gif I am 39 years old and my acne iwll not get better! I have tried everything you can think of and MORE with no results!!!!

My doctor tells me that I have cyst acne, but I refuse to go on teh dangerous medication they want to put me on!

Right now I have a cyst above my right eye that is getting bigger as I type! LOL I am at my wits end...I just do not know what to do??????

Any suggestions?????

Guest Avian

Firstly, welcome to the board. You'll find lots of support here, as well as useful information.

By dangerous medication do you mean accutane? If you're 39 then I think there's no choice but to go on it, if everything else has failed. Remember, for every one person who suffers bad side effects, thousands of others are cleared and live healthily for the rest of their lives.

sad.gif  I am 39 years old and my acne iwll not get better! I have tried everything you can think of and MORE with no results!!!!

My doctor tells me that I have cyst acne, but I refuse to go on teh dangerous medication they want to put me on!

Right now I have a cyst above my right eye that is getting bigger as I type! LOL I am at my wits end...I just do not know what to do??????

Any suggestions?????

I feel your pain. I am 35 and have had acne since I was about 10. Lots of fun eusa_liar.gif

Anyway, I am currently doing my first whole body cleanse and I think it is helping. Having little tiny white heads popping up but no big painful cysts. I also just started topical Vitamin A, which is supposed to stop the oil from the outside without taking Accutane. I also take Akne-Zyme from DermaKlear, which is a limited multivitamin with A, B, C, Zinc, low B5 and Burdock root (and a couple other things) This doesn't help tremendously but it does help.

BTW - I was on Accutane twice and here I am on the boards still trying to find an answer. My face never even got dry and I never had chapped lips while on Accutane and I was up to 120mg per day at one point.

Good Luck!

sad.gif  I am 39 years old and my acne iwll not get better! I have tried everything you can think of and MORE with no results!!!!

Any suggestions?????

Thank you all of you!!!!!! I did finally get the cyts acne thing on the top of my eye to break today! BOY was it nasty!!!!!!!! What really did hte trick is I put toothpaste on it and it brought it to a head over night!!!!!

I am female and I will look into all the things you have all suggeted! My doctor doesn't want to give me anything but accutane and right now I do not want to get on it!!!!!

As a teenager...my derm gave me everythign he could try (of course that was over 16 years ago), so eventually i gave up! YOu guys have some great ideas adn I am soooo glad I found you!!!!!!

Thanks again to all

Jeanelle

Thank you all of you!!!!!! I did finally get the cyts acne thing on the top of my eye to break today! BOY was it nasty!!!!!!!! What really did hte trick is I put toothpaste on it and it brought it to a head over night!!!!!

I am female and I will look into all the things you have all suggeted! My doctor doesn't want to give me anything but accutane and right now I do not want to get on it!!!!!

As a teenager...my derm gave me everythign he could try (of course that was over 16 years ago), so eventually i gave up! YOu guys have some great ideas adn I am soooo glad I found you!!!!!!

Thanks again to all

Jeanelle

Hey Sadnsulky,

If nothing else has worked, I encourage to look into diet if you haven't already. Check out the diet/holistic forum. Many people have had success by giving up dairy, sugar, processed foods, trans-fats, wheat and/or gluten. I know derms will tell you there is no diet/acne connection, but obviously they don't know too much because they haven't solved your problem yet!

Good luck to ya. And welcome.. you'll find lots of good info here.

First question is are you a male or female?  If you are a female, have you ever looked into taking Spironolactone.  I am 31, started taking Spiro last year and my face has been clear ever since (with the exception of a tiny pimple every now and then).  There was a thread about Spiro on the Prescription Medication Forum, but I havn't posted over there in a while.  It works wonderfully if you think that your acne is hormone related.  It is a blood pressure medication, but has been prescribed for acne for a number of years.  You can do a search for it on here on or google for more info.  If you are interested, talk to your doc or just order it online like i do w/o a Rx.  If you are male you cannot take it internally, but you can use it topically.  Hard to find topical spiro though.

I just got cysts at age 18, I got on demulen 50 in october. It works really well. I do get an occasional small cyst on my chin around that time of the month, but it's normally gone in a few days. It's also helped with cramps and back pain that I used to get soooo badly.

Thanks again to all

Jeanelle

First question is are you a male or female?  If you are a female, have you ever looked into taking Spironolactone.  I am 31, started taking Spiro last year and my face has been clear ever since (with the exception of a tiny pimple every now and then).  There was a thread about Spiro on the Prescription Medication Forum, but I havn't posted over there in a while.  It works wonderfully if you think that your acne is hormone related.  It is a blood pressure medication, but has been prescribed for acne for a number of years.  You can do a search for it on here on or google for more info.  If you are interested, talk to your doc or just order it online like i do w/o a Rx.  If you are male you cannot take it internally, but you can use it topically.  Hard to find topical spiro though.

Hey I totally understand your plight, I can't believe i'm 33 years old and still fighting this acne thing. I stayed pretty clear for about 10 years from Accutane back in the eighties. Just last year I started to break out so bad nothing got it under control. The Accutane was a last resort and I took it because my skin has worn down so bad I'm starting to get little craters all over. You did join the right website because since going on this I feel that I'm not alone, and I get practical advice. I think a lot of people with significant acne problems keep it all their lives. But it can be managed, try the Manuka honey to heal the cyst over your eye. I didn't think it would work at first, but it made a tremendous difference in scarring. So far as controlling active acne I haven't found a topical yet that keeps flare ups to a minimum.

Hey Sadnsulky,

If nothing else has worked, I encourage to look into diet if you haven't already.  Check out the diet/holistic forum.  Many people have had success by giving up dairy, sugar, processed foods, trans-fats, wheat and/or gluten.  I know derms will tell you there is no diet/acne connection, but obviously they don't know too much because they haven't solved your problem yet! 

Good luck to ya.  And welcome.. you'll find lots of good info here.

Hi all

I am a 37 year old female with bad acne returning for like the zillionth time. I am truly sad at the moment and just want to be normal and have nice skin. In between breakouts my skin is beautiful and I am so happy. Now I keep crying. Am getting angry, ugly cysts on chin . I could really use some support right now from someone who knows what it feels like to have this problem.

I'm 34 and didn't really start getting bad acne until 22 or so (just normal teenager breakouts). I have had some success with the SA, BP approach over the years, but that just kept the number of current spots in the single digits.

I have been using Aloeguard and now Hibiclens for the last 4 months or so and they have helped a lot- along with continued SA. I haven't had any cysts in that time. I still usually have 1-2 small spots but just getting rid of the painful and eternal cysts, to me, was the most important thing.

I've had no luck with antibiotics and also didn't want to try Accutane (for years I just assumed I would grow out of it when I hit 30) but I hate the idea of having to have acne be a major part of my life until I am old.

I'm glad to see there are others that are older that have the same problem. I'm almost 29 and I never thought my acne would last this long. One thing that is helping for me is using honey. I even mixed it half and half with my apricot scrub and I swear it does wonders!! It makes my skin smoother and less oily and reduces zits quickly,. However, I have one side of my chin that I never pick at and it's continuously spotted with small red zits. I have no idea what to do to get rid of it.

One thing that I am really trying is using the most natural cleansing approaches, as every thing else gives short term results and that all those medicated cleanses are harsh and damaging to your skin over time.

Check out the vinegar/water washing thread as well.

This forum has been great for me so far.. so much valuable information from real people who give real results!!

Hi all

I am a 37 year old female with bad acne returning for like the zillionth time. I am truly sad at the moment and just want to be normal and have nice skin. In between breakouts my skin is beautiful and I am so happy. Now I keep crying. Am getting angry, ugly cysts on chin . I could really use some support right now from someone who knows what it feels like to have this problem.

I feel everything you guys say! I'm 28 and thought I would have grown out of it by now too. I think the common view is that teenagers get it and when you grow into your 20s you grow out of it. Well mine hasn't gone away. Although I went for about 18 months about 2 years ago when it cleared up and I had virtually no trouble at all.

I had been taking minocycline antibiotics for around 10 years previous to this and using retin-A as a topical but I ended up with very bad candida and decided enough was enough. I had to come off it. My mum couldn't believe the doctors were still prescribing me antibiotics so far down the line.

I can't tell you how much of a relief it was to come off the stuff! I actually cried that I didn't have to take them anymore but I still felt (and still do) that a topical acne solution was worth using. I had been relying on them for SOOO long and I was scared to come off them in case my acne came back with a vengence. I well it didn't. I guess my system had become so immune to them by then anyway. The only thing that it seemed to prevent were colds, because now I seem to get a lot more than I used to.

Just before I came off the medication. I started on an anti-candida diet. This was a battle too. Not so much the diet but getting rid of the candida. I still get it from time to time now but it's certainly not as bad as it was. The other thing that I have come to realise it that the 2 are linked. So when I get breakouts, I usually get the candida back. And it's all to do with what I put in my body and how well I'm managing stress. I persisted with the anti-candida diet and made it part of my lifestyle and still do to a large extent. I now eat fruit though and I think this might be the culprit for my recent brakouts and slight return of the candida.

For about 18 months though, I was pretty clear and candida free and it was wonderful but I always know that there was a possibility that it would return and I'm now looking at other things to use and/or take. It's such an ongoing battle. Will it ever end?

BTW, I'm interested in the honey idea. What kind of honey do you use exactly and what does it do to acne skin? How often do use use it? Does it just help with inflamed skin or does it actually help to rid acne completely? My worst problems are hiperpigmentation which seems to take A VERY LONG TIME to go away.

I am so glad to know that their are people who feel the same way I do. I have had many sleepless nights due to my acne. I have suffered through insensitive comments about my skin and I too at 23 feel Iam too old for this not because of my age just because I have had acne ever since I can remember. But if you need someone to talk to I can relate.

Holla Blackbeauty06

Hi all

Hi

I'm 25 and I have been suffering for a couple of years now. (I also had a bout when I was 20 but it cleared up with a 3 month course of antibiotic - erythromycin I think. This time round it started mild, so I used BP and a course of oxytetracycline which I was taking for about 8 months. This cleared me for a bout 2 months but while I was on it my skin returned to where it had been before and I changed to minocycline 3 months before my wedding (May 2005). Unfortunately the minocycline had very little effect and I ended up crying for four weeks (after I finally realised it was not going to get better) before the wedding through stress and worry about my skin.

After my honeymoon I went back to the doctor who referred me to a dermatologist. She prescribed Retin-A 0.01% and dianette. I've been using them for 6 weeks now, however, the Retin-A has massively exacerbated my condition and I've had to stop the Retin-A because it has seriously affected my state of mind - I cry most days, don't want to go out, see people etc.

I still have the problem, and so far have not seen any significent imrpovements apart from my skin has become a little less oily (probably becuase of the dianette) - it is mainly loads of little whiteheads which eventually turn into painful pustules and become inflamed. The majority of the inflammation is at either side of my chin, although sometimes they crop up on my cheeks too. I'm in constant pain - I feel them coming up every day, and am in a state of panic / stress most of the time worrying about it.

I was upset last night - I took a painkiller and found myself looking at the packet and contemplating taking the lot. I'd never go through with it but really my life is not worth living at the moment.

I have everything I could possibly want - a wonderful husband, nice house, cars etc and a very supportive family on both sides. But I just don't seem to be able to cope with the mess that is my face.

I've always been very confident about my looks even when I've been dissatisfied with other parts of my body. Now, I have no confidence at all and feel disgusting.

So, I know what you are going through. I suppose we both have to keep believing that one day it will go away and we'll be happy again.

Good luck

34, I've had acne since about 12-13. I not only have it on my chest, but on my body as well. I don't doubt that its hormonal. I've had a partical hysterectomy because of cancer. ONly time I was completely clear was when I was on chemo. I've worked out religiously for 13 years. Only time I didn't was after surgery (twice for me) So diet and exercise, I already had that part down, but its a small part of the equasion.

I've come to grips with it pretty much, that I'll have to deal with acne for pretty much a lifetime. My mother had it for ages.

The routine I currently use really has helped a lot. I still have break outs. Mine is cystic and its really freaking painful, BUT, I have a lot less instances of breakouts these days.

My routine, my stress levels, diet and exercise have contributed to that.

I can't take accutane because I'm not a good candidate for it. So I just do the best I can with what I know.

Still, there are days like today where I get a little down about it. (its huge, painful but hidable but also on my chest!)

-A

Hi all

Hi all