Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jaime66

Just plain water?!

Hey, this is my first post. I have had acne for a while now (2 years at varying degrees) I have been on medication and i guess it worked a small amount but not enough(oxytetracycline).

I have been on the regimen for about 3 weeks and whilst some areas have cleared up, others have gotten worse and I can't take this any more! I have been using a cream that contains hydrogen peroxide and not benzyl peroxide(does anyone know the difference?)

I was getting my haircut today at the barbers and during this you have to look in the mirror. I usually avoid mirrors because of my skin and i can say that i was absolutely horrified. I thought I was improving slightly but obviously not...my cheeks are covered in red marks and chin and forehead have big fat lumps on them.

I can say it has destroyed my life...over the past months i have kept my curtains closed and kept the light low so i dont have to look in the mirror in natural light. I avoid going out, making stupid excuses,im drifting away from my friends. I blew my chance to get back with my ex girlfriend because of it, who i adored, id thought shed be digusted with my skin.

SO, after my moaning....I have decided to just wash with WATER for a minimal period of time instead of my usual applications of expensive washes and lotions. I'm not sure what's going to happen and I'm really scared, but it can't be worse than what i saw in the mirror today.

I've had enough. I will try to post my progress every few days. Please give feedback/comments/encouragement. It will mean a lot

James

Jaime66,

Hey, I know how you're feeling and I wish you the best of luck with everything. Just hang in there. You said that you have only been breaking out for the past two years? How old are you? Maybe you are just going through a "phase." I know it sucks but it will get better. I read Dan's regimen too, but decided not to try it bc I didnt like the idea of putting all of that shit on my face all of the time. I have never tried the "only water" regimen, and I dont know if it works but a lot of other people have tried it if you read throughout the forum. Howevert, I think you are on the right track with lowering the chemicals idea. The more chemicals you put on your face, most likely, the worst it will get. However, keep in mind that if this the water thing doesn't work for you, some people just need a little help-like a mild wash or something...just hang in there, man. It will get better, k?

Thanks Viv for your concern. Im nearly 17 now and started getting it around 14. It's got progressively worse over the years. I've just decided to give up and just do the natural thing coz i feel like i am destroying my face!I hope it works and i'll let you know what happens.

James

cool-yea, let me know whats up. you're 17? I know it sucks to hear this, but that is pretty normal and natural for you to be breaking out. However, I know how equally depressing it can be. I am 19 years old and I just started breaking out like 6 months ago, but that is because I used all these stupid products to make my skin better and it had messed me up pretty bad since then. For the past 2 months, I have been trying to get my skin to go back to normal-the way it used to be.

Its hard but keep your chin up! Keep us posted

Dude, I really feel for your situation man. A lot of people on here have been in your place. But....

Simply put, water is awesome. I did the only washing thing with water for two months, when my acne was moderate, and had fantastic results. It lowered it dramatically to a level of small mildness. Now I'm just using a face wash and that's it.

Also, drink lots of water too, if you already don't. Good luck!

Guest Amy Lee

Hey I wish you luck in the "only water" regimen. I think it might work and I'm starting it now again.

Keep us updated with your progress!

Hey, I am in the same situtation. I am so sick of using products and getting no results. Plus everytime I use a face wash it stripped my skin of that natural layer and made it shiny then dripping with oil. Anyways about one month ago I switched to warm water twice a day and it has worked pretty well. It definitely has lowered the amount of oil on my face and the number of pimples has decreased.

theres a thread in the general acne forum about tap water. its really good to use the all water regimin but if your going to be using the all natural regimin then try distilled water. the type you buy at supermarkets. it reallly is not good to use tap water on your face believe it or not. distilled water is perfect to wash with but its kinda a bitch cause its expensive...especially for water. but you cant avoid showeing with tap cause you wouldnt be able to buy enough distilled...bottom line is you should try distilled and see what you think i really think this will help you. eusa_angel.gif

Thanks for your comments!

However I have decided not to risk using 'just' water

I am just going to use water and no products but at night I am applying a thin layer of clinique s.o.s night gel as my sister had some left over. Its a lot less harsh than the stuff I was using before and the idea is to stop ruining my skin by removing the natural oils etc.

Day 2

I must admit my right cheek does look a lot lot clearer...but my chin and forehead are still awful. But no really huge new ones like normal!

My plan is I will gradually apply less of the gel and then none at all

Let's hope this works!

James

Day 3

Ok, so my right cheek is still really clear for me. However my forehead and chin still suck, can't really tell if any are new because there are too many! My left cheek has about four big ones. Besides that they are about one hundred redmarks...I swear.

But I do think that using minimal products is a very good idea as my skin feels less irritated.

Also I'm seeing my doctor again on wednesday. I bet she puts me on the antibiotics again grr

On another note, think I did well in the chemistry test i had today! But then again the sun was out today in the UK and that wasnt nice. I dont like the sunlight.

James

James,

Have you thought about trying vitamin B5. i have had amazing success with it. Please let me know if you're interested in knowing more.

James,

Have you thought about trying vitamin B5.  i have had amazing success with it.  Please let me know if you're interested in knowing more.

Hey everyone,

So i went to the doctors today and she put me on doxycycline(what a surprise) but she wanted to refer me to a dermatologist to put me on roaccutane. But my mum said 'we'll see how the cycline goes' because one of her friends sons had gone into hospital after taking it.

Even the doctor said my skin was prity awful. She also said her skin was like mine when she was younger so she knows how I feel...

So i have to take one of these tablets a day. Oh btw diet did nothing for me so i am going back to eating what i like. Except im still gonna drink loadsa water.

I hate this so much....having bad skin is such a waste of life.

Heres to my new regimen

Morning

Shower

Take doxycycline

Evening

Wash face

Use gentle scrub every other day

Apply thin layer of clinique s.o.s night gel

James

Oh yeh and just an interesting thing. My mate had really bad skin and he went on holiday for three weeks to South Africa. When he came back all he had was a few red marks! Acne was completely gone. The only thing i can think of is the sunshine because in the UK we don't get much! Also i dont believe many cases are due to stress coz his dad just died and his skin looks great!

James