Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
person222

Accutane Dosage Question AGAIN

im sure this has been asked a million times but does a higher dosage per lb neccesaryly mean you'll get better/quicker results?

i mean if two people who weigh the same and one is on 20mg and the other 80mg what would be the difference?

What matters most is your total cumulative dosage on Accutane, i.e. whether by the end of the course you have taken at least 120-125mg per kg body weight, regardless of whether it's in daily doses of 10mg or 120mg. It's the net total of Accutane you've taken throughout your course over whatever consistent period of time in whatever daily amount.

that confirms my decision to down play the side affects ive had to my derm, i presume if i say ive had minimal side affects (which luckily i pretty much have) then he'll up my dosage,

The higher the daily dose the more effective the Accutane but also the higher the likelihood and severity of side-effects. There is no need for an especially high daily dose because a moderate or even fairly low dose will achieve the same minimum ideal total cumulative dosage of 125mg/kg if prescribed over a long enough course of treatment. Nothing is ever "necessarily" the case with Accutane because everyone responds differently and sometimes unpredictably, but generally higher daily doses are given to those with cystic and/or severe acne, which theoretically means that they may start clearing more rapidly than if they had a lower daily dose, bearing in mind that they will most likely also experience an initial breakout upon beginning treatment. That being said, many with mild to moderate acne even on a very low dose also begin clearing very quickly right from the start.

I understand you're curious about this but really it doesn't make a difference to worry about it because your dermatologist will make this decision based primarily on your severity of acne and weight, and also possibly taking into account your treatment history, height, age, and other factors-- the point is that your derm will decide what your dosage should be and may vary it according to your progress during the course.

You can't get impatient with Accutane-- it's a powerful drug, just let it do its thing and your acne WILL get better.