Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BronzeSurfer2

Can Accutane Be Prescribed Without a Bloodtest?

Hey guys,

I just wanted to know if accutane is prescribed to males without bloodtests in any situation. I got the med and was outta the office in about 10 minutes. However, my parents refuse to buy the accutane at the moment because they want to get a second opinion. Help is appreciated.

Guest Craigems

except for the initial blood test... i havent had one since and i'm 5months into my course :/

i only had one bloodtest in the beginning of my course

25 days to finish my course and i didn t have another one

i was woring about this too

my derm told me your blood is perfect and u don t need another one

i m only on 40mgs a day

Guest Craigems

yeh i'm only on 40mg as well. I dunno i assume my results were good also lol.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to know if accutane is prescribed to males without bloodtests in any situation. I got the med and was outta the office in about 10 minutes. However, my parents refuse to buy the accutane at the moment because they want to get a second opinion.  Help is appreciated.

You are supposed to have both an initial blood test and regular follow ups, as Accutane can effect your liver, the only way to know is to test your blood while you are on it to make sure you are within the acceptable range. If you were prescribed it without an initial blood test i would advise you to absolutely find a different doctor who understands the serious side effects that can occur with this drug and has a plan to watch for them.

Thanks a lot you guys - Craigems, Gianni, GeorgiePorgie, BBoySkate, Beentheredonethat.

The reason I asked is because high school prom is coming up, and I was hoping that for once in four years, I could have an experience completely devoid of this problem, so I definitely felt rushed to take it right after the derm issued me a prescription. I guess I'll wait it out until I see the 2nd derm. I appreciate the help.

I have to get a bloodtest every month and if I don't my derm will not give me next month's prescription until I do.