Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrewCut213

Accutane for mild to moderate?

Hi,

I have only had acne for a year or two and I would describe it as mild to moderate, most of my acne is around my chin. I have tried Proactiv but of course that didn't do much and now I don't really want to keep putting creams on my face.

I realize that I might grow out of my acne for the most part in a year or two but at the same time, I don't want to have to live with acne throughout college and who knows I might get adult acne. These last 3 months have been the most depressing of my life. I guess some people deal with acne better than others.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for me about accutane. Do you think the side effects are worth it for a moderate case of acne? Is the accutane more likely to be effective and effective quicker if my acne is not as severe as most people? Has anyone with moderate acne had a hard time getting their dermatologist to put them on accutane?

I am hoping someone with a similar case to me who took accutane could offer me some advice.

Thanks for any comments,

Joey

well i think the side effects of being on accutane vary between individuals.

Dry lips, no alcohol, are fine, easy to live with.

Mood swings/ depression, maybe a different. I've been on accutaine before and don't think I got them. However, this time I think I might. However that might just be because i've read up that you can get mood swings, lol who knows.

I would say i get high moderate / severe acne. so for me accutaine is a must. With light, i'd probably think about lesser alternatives, like minocyclin, or some other antibiotic. People slate them, but they've worked for me in the past when my acne has been light.

if its moderate... I dunno, it all depends upon what you mean by moderate really. If youre skin feels uncomfortable, overly greasy, and you get blocked pores, whiteheads, blackheads etc, i'd strongly think about going on accutaine.

With regards to getting it, if you really want it you sometimes might have to argue your case for it.

I've been to derms before not really wanting it, and left without getting it, however if you're serious enough you will get it.

First time on accutaine does take a while to kick in, for me 3 months. Second time around (which i'm on now) i'm noticing far quicker results.

thanks for the reply. I actually had my first derm appointment a month ago. He gave me a perscription for duac gel and some other cream but a few days later I decided I wanted to stop putting chemicals on my face so I never even filled the perscription. I am suppose to have a follow up appointment in a month so maybe I should just tell him I used the creams and they didn't work for me so then he will give me an antibiotic or accutane?

But if I have mild to moderate acne, am I less likely to have a bad initial breakout? Do you think the initial breakout would be equivalent to a bad breakout for me or something way worse than anything I have seen? Does accutane and antibiotics have a higher success rate in people with milder acne? If I put on tons of sunscreen would it be alright to go in the sun?

thanks for the reply. I actually had my first derm appointment a month ago. He gave me a perscription for duac gel and some other cream but a few days later I decided I wanted to stop putting chemicals on my face so I never even filled the perscription. I am suppose to have a follow up appointment in a month so maybe I should just tell him I used the creams and they didn't work for me so then he will give me an antibiotic or accutane?

But if I have mild to moderate acne, am I less likely to have a bad initial breakout? Do you think the initial breakout would be equivalent to a bad breakout for me or something way worse than anything I have seen? Does accutane and antibiotics have a higher success rate in people with milder acne? If I put on tons of sunscreen would it be alright to go in the sun?