Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

anybody taking a good multivitamin. i want a pretty cheap one with all the good stuff in it. im looking for one i can pick up at like walmart or something. i dont want to order one. any suggestions??? thanks

First off, do NOT buy "supermarket vitamins"-- they're almost always very inferior quality, using synthetic version of vitamins that actually either do nothing at all in your body or even have negative effects, as well as often not being "chirally correct," which means that they can't be properly utilized by your body. It doesn't take any more effort to walk into a health store then it does to walk into a Walmart, and at a health store you'll get a top-quality supplement for as cheap as you'd get it at Walmart. You want a good quality multivitamin because it is at least as important for your skin as any amount of products. If you're willing to spend $50 a month on creams, cleansers and lotions, why not spend $15 for a 2 month supply of daily multivitamins that heal and help clear your skin from within?

I've benefited WAY more from supplementing with affordable vitamin and herbal supplements than I have from any amount of expensive cleansers and fancy products. I've actually been SAVING myself money as I buy fewer products and more supplements, and my skin has been getting CLEARER. biggrin.gif

I've experimented with over a dozen different brands of multivitamins over the past 5 years. I now use what I regard as by far the most effective and affordable multivitamin I've found for acne, with a comprehensive spectrum of RDAs for all the needed vitamins in a synergistic formula specifically for acne: http://www.dermamed.com/product_details/nu...kin/default.asp

I've also been very impressed with this multivitamin in the past as well: http://us.vitabiotics.com/perfectil/perfec...aspx?ID=18&sm=1. In fact, a girl friend of mine brought back a pack of these from a modelling show she was in where they were handed out by the promoter to all the teen models. I've used this myself for about a year and I was very happy with it-- good energy, and I did notice good effects on my skin, hair and nails, great for general health.

In my opinion these two are the best multivitamins you can use if you have acne, because not only are you getting an excellent multivitamin but they are both also formulated with extra ingredients in high concentrations and doses specifically for acne.

If you're really hellbent on just getting a supermarket checkout counter multivitamin then quite honestly it doesn't matter what brand you buy because they really are all the same generic second-rate quality with the same RDAs albeit mostly with synthetic or poorly processed and compounded vitamins.

ha i just used walmart as an example of somewhere other than ordering online. i have a health food store that should carry something i am looking for. thanks

For me at least, the iodine in multivitamins (usually 100% daily value) breaks me out.

"Milk may also contain excessive amounts of iodine, which can irritate pores, bringing on acne flare-ups. According to James E. Fulton Jr., M.D., head of the Acne Research Institute in Newport Beach, Calif., "In some who are acne-prone, I'd say 1,000 micrograms or one milligram of iodine a day could be a problem." A recent analysis of milk samples collected from 175 dairy herds throughout Wisconsin averaged 466 micrograms of iodine per liter; 11 percent of the samples contained more than 1,000 micrograms of iodine per liter. (The iodine gets into the milk through the use of contaminated milking equipment and medication given to the cows.)"

http://www.milksucks.com/zits.html

I guess its just one of the things that breaks me out terribly. " Which foods should be avoided in a low-iodine diet?

Iodine-rich foods that should be avoided in a low-iodine diet include:

- Iodized salt or sea salt

- Seafood, including fish, shellfish and seaweed

- Dairy products, including milk, cheese, ice cream and yogurt

- Eggs

- Bread products made with iodate

- Foods containing Red Dye Number 3

- Prepared food products that contain iodides, algin, alginates, carrageen or agar"

Most multi vitamins have 150 mcg of iodine, which is 100% daily recommended value.

1 g = 1000 mg

1 mg = 1000 mcg

http://www.iherb.com/noiodinev.html

If you drink milk and or dair or even seafood, i would recommend a vitamin without iodine, because youre body only needs alittle and dairy has a whole LOT.

Just becareful: http://www.healthyeatingclub.com/info/book...ata/data5k.html

Sorry for all the iodine content.. eusa_whistle.gif

Yo Antony,

Really? Super-market vitamins are not as useful? I'm taking Olay Vitamins Beauty Nutrients, Total Effects Beautiful Skin & Wellness, Packets. They're four pills crammed with a seemingly excessive amount of vitamins. I got them because they were on sale; I'm not much of a vitamin/supplement girl myself...

So, rambling aside, my question is, are the proper supplements (i.e. bought from a health food store) really helpful? Because I haven't noticed any big deal changes with these vitamins.

Thanks,

i.g.m.p.

eyevan, http://www.iherb.com/noiodinev.html

I threw a lot of links in with my last post. Probably got mixed up with the others.

Not a great variety.

best bet would be to either take one of those in the link or buy seperate vitamins and take them daily, only the ones you think are depleted in your body.

Sorry dont live in the USA and dont like ordering online but i will consider a multivitamin with the lowest iodine levels. Potassium iodide 65 mcg

(iodine 50mcg) 50mcg of iodine shouldnt be too bad right?

not bad at all.

heres what i posted earlier: 'Most multi vitamins have 150 mcg of iodine, which is 100% daily recommended value.'

Yo Antony,

Really? Super-market vitamins are not as useful? I'm taking Olay Vitamins Beauty Nutrients, Total Effects Beautiful Skin & Wellness, Packets. They're four pills crammed with a seemingly excessive amount of vitamins. I got them because they were on sale; I'm not much of a vitamin/supplement girl myself...

So, rambling aside, my question is, are the proper supplements (i.e. bought from a health food store) really helpful? Because I haven't noticed any big deal changes with these vitamins.

Thanks,

i.g.m.p.