Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phil_b

what do we gain from acne??

i could go the postive route and say acne has taught me to not judge people by their appearence and to be more patient, but honestly i feel i have had ALOT less to gain from acne, only loosing out on a shit load of my life.

Because of acne i:

* have never had a girlfriend (im 20). Yes, acne IS the reason, girls love my personality and charm but just cant see themselves with the zit face. This also has to do with confidence.

* missed out on having any 'real' fun during my teenage years, and maybe my 20's. I couldnt bring myself to doing anything, i would have a nervous breakdown if i showed uo in public with that face.

* am mentally damaged and i cannot speak to anyone normaly anymore, cause they are staring at my face...

* have scars that will damage my self-esteem FOREVER!

The list goes on, its unbelievable how POINTLESS acne is. There is no justified reason why we are/were put through this hell.

How come the skin on my feet is so much smoother and soft than the oily mess that is my face. Why cant skin be all one soft texture for everyone. This is stupid...

Im too depressed to name the 'positive' stuff but yeah, there ARE some. Meeting everyone here really is one of them.

Forgive me if this comes out snarky......

But for goodness sake, people. Acne does not have to destroy you.

If a person can live - and have a good life - despite being raped as a child, despite being called a whore by your mother for it, despite nearly overdosing with a needle in thier arm at the age of 19 -

then perhaps acne, too, can be lived through. Positivly.

Others have brought up sensetivity and compassion - think, for just a moment, if EVERYONE had an experience that taught them that.

Acne, suddenly, would not be such a horrible thing to go through, because all of the people who make fun of us for it or avoid us for it would suddenly understand how horrible that is to do.

But the only way a person LEARNS how to do that, how to be compassionate, is to experience something negative and come out the other side of it stronger and more sure of themselves for it.

Why in the hell do some of you expect people to respond to you in a positive light when you can't even respond to yourself in even a LITTLE bit positive way? I know it takes distance from these negative experiences to gain perspective, but know, people, at least in some part of you somewhere - KNOW there is hope.

Know nothing out there (save tigers and cannibals!) can eat you alive but yourself!

Personally, I believe I have gained a better understanding of people in general / have excelled in psychology.

Depends how one chooses to percieve the situation at hand and on the whole, perhaps.

For fuck's sake, don't expect any sort of divine providence so that you gain something from a purely negative experience like acne.

And just listen to all these supposedly "good" things that come from it. They're all just forms of retreat. Not judging people by their appearance? That's lowered standards. You could have wanted good looking and nice people. Compassion, empathy? The strong don't actually need those (despite what some backwards philosopher thinks).

Ugly people are nice because they have to be in order to be accepted. And even then, if you're below a certain threshold, being nice only keeps people from beating you down emotionally.

I'm not going to go around and be compassionate to people because they're not going to do the same for me. It's a quid pro quo world, and I am not getting any quid back.

Darth, go ahead and not give anything back.

But for fuck's sake, as you so succiently put it, don't expect anything but what you're giving.

So you were treated badly. So you treat other's badly. And on and on it goes, all the while, YOU wondering why everyone is such an asshole to you, when all you are doing is giving back what was given to you.....how many years will you continue to give out bad vibes for all the crap that happened to you when you were younger? How many more years are you going to KEEP GETTING back those negative vibes that you originally starting throwing out, years ago, because the world is 'not nice'?

Somewhere, it stops becoming other's people's fault and it becomes your own. No one promised you a rose garden. And yeah, some of the people you meet are going to be assholes. No one is telling you otherwise. That's not quid pro quo, that's Life.

But at some point, the bars of your prison become your own responsibility to break through.

You'll know a lot about how to keep your skin healthy. You'll probably know your local drugstore really well lol.gif Also, from going through the emotional effects of acne, you might be a stronger person. Yeah and you'll have cool online friends too cool.gif and you might have a lot more confidence and self-esteem.

ive gained the knowledge that acne has no good points, its ruined my teenage years and its effects will be with me for a very long time. Depressing i know but thats how its been for me.

maybe a little more sensitivity, knowledge(of what works and what's harmful in the long run), overall health knowledge, and to stay humble. nothing makes you humble like getting a few pimples.

only thing u learn is to apperciate good skin if u ever had it

and how valuable it is....

eusa_eh.gif I'd pay some thousands to get rid of this today eusa_eh.gif

Anddd how to respect other peoples feelings who may have some acne or what not

And a bad face evil.gif

yes, it does depend on the mindset...

you could say:.. I'm glad i got acne because it makes my face unique, unlike all the others, with the same, clear complexion...

not many people see it this way though...and i wonder why..

I think acne has made me more understanding towards people with flaws. It has also made me nicer and more caring towards others. I mean I was never mean, I'm just nicer with acne.

do we gain anything at all from acne, or is it just all misery?

I need to think that there is something good that will come out of this when im clear, that i will be somehow better for it...