Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phil_b

what do we gain from acne??

do we gain anything at all from acne, or is it just all misery?

I need to think that there is something good that will come out of this when im clear, that i will be somehow better for it...

Guest Keeley

Understanding and knowledge.

Also, cool online friends.

Guest Keeley

I was refering to science of skin, and understanding others more.

Though I have to say... acne hasnt changed me at all... I'm the same person before and after.

this question has always played in my head.i really dont know.besides using millions of different products and giving skin advise to my much cleared face friends.i really dont know.

You can argue that everything has positive and negative effects when you look at the big picture. For example, you can be hit by a car and go into the emergency room, have a leg amputated... sounds really bad right? Now what if you met the love of your life in that hospital? There are things like this that happen all the time, not always to the same extent, but every choice we make and external event around us will affect everything eventually, in both good and bad ways.

Nothing is black and white.

On the other hand, if you solely isolate acne itself, it can be argued that it serves us no benefit, as all the otherwise considered benefits like knowledge, understanding, meeting good friends, etc are all up to the acne sufferer and the events that surround him or her. These are not directly related to the acne itself because not everyone will respond to it in the exact same way.

You decide how you want to look at this. biggrin.gif

Guest Shjaker

Well.. in the midst of acne's road of destruction you get:

1. Lowered self esteem

2. Social hermit

3. Bitter and envious of those with clear skin

4. Sometimes depression, or often reoccuring sadness

5. Feelings of hopelessness/loneliness [when you think no one will ever want you]

More that I'd rather not list because it is quite depressing when you read it all in one setting

When you've been cured of acne you gain:

1. Humility [the quality of being humble]

2. Appreciation, gratefulness

3. More of an understanding towards people, you're less judgmental and have learned to relate

4. More knowledge about diet/regimens/acne than you'd care to know : S

Is it worth it?

I bloody well won't know until acne's gone.. but I'm guessing sure, why bloody not.

Guest Keeley
You can argue that everything has positive and negative effects when you look at the big picture. For example, you can be hit by a car and go into the emergency room, have a leg amputated... sounds really bad right?  Now what if you met the love of your life in that hospital?  There are things like this that happen all the time, not always to the same extent, but every choice we make and external event around us will affect everything eventually, in both good and bad ways. 

Nothing is black and white.

On the other hand, if you solely isolate acne itself, it can be argued that it serves us no benefit, as all the otherwise considered benefits like knowledge, understanding, meeting good friends, etc are all up to the acne sufferer and the events that surround him or her.  These are not directly related to the acne itself because not everyone will respond to it in the exact same way.

You decide how you want to look at this.  biggrin.gif

There's quite a few thins I learned from acne.

1. Science of the skin, hormones, and acne.

2. Importance of good nutrition

3. A different perspective of life I wasn't used to

ex. depression, isolation, misery

4. That life can be truely unfair

5. That sometimes you just have to buck up and deal with it.

I need to think that there is something good that will come out of this when im clear, that i will be somehow better for it...

we gain KNOWLEDGE!

u think acne-less people know sooooooo mcuh about acne medication and the best spots to get it cheap? u think acneless people know wat pimples are wat and wat will evolve to wat and do they know how to perform surgery on pimples?!

NAYYYYYY

we have become PIMPLE MASTERS in our quest!

sigh...... eusa_doh.gif

Guest Avian

From acne, I learnt more about how and why people behave as they do.

1. feeling like crap

2. not having girlfriends

3. not caring about much

acne sucks and everything good it teaches us, is done away ten fold by the bad stuff.

1. Scars, hyperpigmentation damage

2. Low Self Confidence

3. Less attention from the other gender or same gender if you're homosexual...

4. Always worrying how we look

5. I think it does allow us to see life another way though and who people really are

Guest Zitro

Long distance friends from acne.org

becoming less judgemental

I became more humble

I became stronger emotionally

Just think about the people who have no arms, or are blind, and what they are thinking/saying about us. I know I HATE people with clear skin. I am obsessed with looking at their skin. It is strange confused.gif I took out my baby pictures and posted them on the wall because I had flawless skin and I am trying to remember when I did not have to worry, but all I remember, even in fourth grade, was the burning of stridex and putting on cheap cover-up :sighs: Of course, with years of experience, I have learned how to treat acne other than stridex and cheap cover-up...

i finally really really understood my skin. and knows what products are actually good for me.

1quote=phil_b,Apr 14 2005, 08:18 AM]

I haven't gained anything good from acne, I'm afraid. My personality hasn't changed at all, other than being more somewhat more irritable, and occasionally less outgoing. eusa_boohoo.gif

Melchior brought up a fantastic point about things being good v.s bad.

Acne has not been the worst of my worries in my short life. I was an abused kid, physically, sexually, emotionally from the age of 4 onto 17. By the time I reached the age of 18 I had called three different foster placements, two psychiatric wards, and several crisis centers "home." After 18, I got into my own bit of trouble, adding several evictions, a self mutilation habit, a long list of dead end - jobs and a massive drug addiction onto my list of woes.

Was all of this bad? Was I permantly changed? For the better? For the worse?

Yes, I was permantly changed by all of this, just as those of us with acne are permantly changed for it.

But it does not have to destroy you. These things - all bad things - teach us self relience. Teach us how to reach out for help. Without my experiences, I might be a little less scarred, yes. Without my experiences, I might have a better job, or not be so violently angry at the Lifetime Channel.

But without my experiences, I might not have the rock solid knowledge that NO. MATTER. THE. FUCK. WHAT. Life throws at me - I can make it. I can dance through it.

Others brought up compassion and paitence - all of these are good things to come of adversity. Maybe someday humans will evolve beyond the point of needing pain to change - I know I'm not there yet. smile.gif

I was just thinking about this yesterday too. I think I have gained a lot from it. Not judging people from their looks for one. Another thing is that I used to go tanning and smoke cigarettes. Part of my regimen that cleared up my skin causes sensitivity to sun so I had to quit tanning and smoking was causing part of my breakouts so I quit that. So I think in the long run, having acne will be a benefit to my skin and overall health.