Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guitardude

Completed My 6 Month Accutane Course

Hi everyone.

This place was a big help to me during the start of my course, thought I should post up my results. I am 19 years old, first course of accutane. Did the rounds with minomycin and other antibiotics since I was 16, they gradually wore off, and then acne got worse.

My course was 40mg a day for 6 months. I weigh about 80kg, or around 160lb. The only side effects I had was dry lips, and it never got very bad. I do a lot of bodybuilding and didn't need to stop or lessen my training for the Accutane. Before the Accutane I had anywhere between 15-20 pimples on my face, including forehead, and around the mouth and temples. They varied from cysts to whiteheads.

1st month: Acne was pretty much normal, lips dried up a little. Toward the end of the month my acne got twice as bad and had a huge flare up.

2nd month : Flare up lasted well into the 2nd month and continued to get worse. In the 7th week, the acne improved dramatically.

3rd month : Acne continued to heal, and completely stopped by the 9th week.

4th, 5th and 6th months : Red marks continue to fade, and only had about 3 pimples during this time which were just tiny red bumps and didn't turn into whiteheads.

Now my skin is better than its been for years, I have some very very minor red marks which continue to fade, and in two seconds I can apply some liquid foundation my skin is 100%. smile.gif

Some liver enzymes shot up in the first month and gradually went down in each additional month. I had a bad virus in the last month and they shot up very high, but this is likely to have nothing to do with the accutane as my dose stayed the same and they were consistently going back to normal. I should also note that I used BP consistently throughout the course, and I think it helped a lot.

Good luck everybody,

Luke

That's great, I'm starting my third month, and I seem to be following in your footsteps. Just wondering, did you have a lot of red marks to begin with?

No, just a few from acne prior to the accutane.

They faded normally, and now I have a two small marks from the big breakout. I may have been misleading though, the marks are better described as light pink and almost faded - I don't think anyone but me can notice them smile.gif

If anyone has more questions just fire away.

Luke

Woohoo! This thread is encouraging.

Here's my question: did your skin go back to being oily (if you were oily in the first place) after you stopped taking Accutane?

I'm in my 6th week of tane and this reduction of oil is FREAKING WONDERFUL. After an 18 hour day, my face is still not oily, whereas before tane my face was shiny only 2 or 3 hours after I did my makeup. I'm just worried that it's gonna go back to being practically reflective after I'm done w/ my 4 months.

I've never had oily skin, sorry:(

I've only been off it for about a week now, and my lips are going back to normal already.

Good luck:)