Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyLane

Accutane Cold Sores

Hey everyone

i was just wondering if anyone has experienced cold sores while

on accutane..

because i seem to be getting a lot of them lately...

nope.. cold sores is a form of herpes.. not the std herpes.. but basically theres no cure for them.. they usually form when you are exposed to extreme cold temperatures or when you are sick..

cold sores can be triggered by a lot of things, including UV light. so if your skin is more sensitive to the sun while on 'tane, this may be the reason. i'd recommend a lip balm with spf 15.

~Amy

Hi LadyLane

Yes I experienced cold sores since being on accutane and have never had cold sores before in my life. I think it is basically because cold sores are usually caused from a weak immune system and on accutane your immune system is weakened. I started taking vitamin C every day and used some Zovirax and they eventually cleared up but every now and then the corners of my mouth get really dry and I know they are coming back so I put loads of vaseline on and make sure I keep taking vitamins and eating loads of fruit etc to strengthen my immune system.

Hope this helps.

I got one the other day too and I am pretty sure it was triggered by the Accutane because I can't remember the last time I got one. That being said, cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus, which you can't cure and which stays dormant in your mouth most of the time; so, Accutane isn't causing the cold sores, but it might be bringing them out of hiding.