Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ndmgal

I think God gave me acne

Whether or not you're catholic or not, just telling from my point of view. I wrote before about my story before getting acne. I was a dancer at a gentleman's club, had a rich arrogany fiance, moved away from my parents wihtout saying goodbye, was a real slut and a bitch. I wasn't born that way tho... I had always been a straight a student, went to the hill with eric trump, but I just changed to this horrible person. One of my b/f's had modeled in playboy and I was actually thinking about doing it too. Then practically over night I got horrible cystic acne. I hid away at my parents house not wanting anyone to see me. I felt so sorry for myself and the only people by my side were my family. I had stopped believing in god when I was 15.. but somehow I gradually started believing again. I just hated Him for doing this to me. One thing i had never been, good and bad, was lazy and the type to roll over and day. I had always been ambitious and motivated, whether it was getting good grades or getting a rich fiance. ONe day it was pouring and i drove down to my church and just sat there and cried my heart out. It felt so good just sitting there. Now i go to school full time, work full time, am close with my family, and am starting to get pointed in the right direction. I don't pretend to be a ditz anymore, i don't dance topless for strangers, I can sleep through the night without waking up cause of nightmares. When I thought i had been my happiest I realize now... that I never was. I was a horrible horrible person. Theres a song "unanswered prayers". Every night id pray for god to clear my skin, and my prayers were never answered. My skin is finally looking better and physically and mentally I feel better. I just think, for me, God won't answer my prayers until he think I'm ready. Even when I was "beautiful" I had no confidence in myself. Now I can look people in the eyes and know I'm an honest and good person. I thought in high school guys only wanted sexy women. I realize I was wrong. Guys now except me for who I am despite the flaws in my skin. I still htink about things ive done in the past or things that have happened to me and it scares the hell out of me. Honestly, acne scars is nothign compared to what I went through and I don't know how i got through it. You're story may not be quite as ... messed up.. as mine, but perhaps there is a plan for all of us. Best of luck!

Im kind of in the same boat as you, although i've never thought about posing for playboy. Or takin out my boobies in public... probably cause im a guy and i dont have them, but yeah Im in highschool and everyones all about sex and drinking and in a way i want to be clear skinned and carefree like them but on the other hand i think im better off like this... on my own. The hard part is falling in love with a girl whos regular, and watching her go out and do all those things and not being able to relate.

Right now im not sure where I stand on the whole god idea, I want to believe in him... but i cant see why he would want me to go through so much pain. I know i probably don't deserve his help... but sometimes i really need it, and hes not there.

Maybe hes waiting until im ready like you said... but right now i feel like the only one whos got me is me.

i'm trying to be positive like you, to think that i lost the man i love not due to acne but due to God's plan....that He's got a plan for me that doesn't include the guy i fell in love with.

but it's hard. I aso think that God is punishing me for all the wrongs I did in the past. i wanna try to be a better person. and i will. but i can't start while i have these negative feelings inside me, when i'm so locked up in misery and filled with thoughts only about acne and how i feel about it.

i want to be clear and start a new life. once i'm done with these horrible experience i'll stay positive and think of things positive.

i want to share myself to others...i have so many plans, so many things i want to do...but all is at standstill while i have this disease.

I often think this way as well...and often remind myself that we all have our own crosses to carry. I am Catholic and haven't been going to church because I guess I was embarrassed to be seen that way. However, I realized that maybe God has given me this to make a better and stronger person. I don't know if any of you have read the PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE but it is awesome. I will share a poem written by Russell Kelfer that is in that book:

You are who you are for a reason

You're part of an intricate plan

You're a precious and perfect unique design

Called God's special woman or man

You look like you look for a reason

OUr God made no mistake

He knit you together within the womb

You're just what he wanted to make

The parents you had were the ones he chose

And no matter how you may feel

They were custom designed with God's plan in mind

And they bear the Master's seal

NO, that trauma you faced was not easy

And God wept that it hurt you so

But it was allowed to shape your heart

So that into his likeliness you'd grow

YOu are who you are for a reason

You've been formed by the Master's rod

YOu are who you are, beloved

Because there is a God

I really think this is such a beautiful poem....

No offense, but I don't believe in God. Therefore, I just think that I get acne because that's the way life is and I'll just have to deal with it. I hope it goes away though.

you can believe what you want but medical science learns more every day, and acne is caused by overactive sebaceous glands. just think until recently some people thought being unclean or food caused acne. bottom line acne is just plain bad luck with genetics. if their is a god (which acne has made me think their isnt one) i doubt he would give you acne to save you. but hey if you want to believe that its your buisness, but if you want the more realistic way actually read what medical science says cause they have facts.

Here is a counter example to prove it's complete BS.

How many people wear contacts or glasses? I assume a pretty high number. Now, if we didn't have contacts or glasses today, do you think people would be saying

"God hates me and is punishing me because I can't see!!"?

Of course they would be! How many people still use this argument now that there are glasses, contacts and laser surgery? Probably very very few.

There are other diseases besides acne. Are they being punished by God too?

Whether people believe in God or not, we should respect that. I agree that there are other diseases not juss acne, and the reasons why we suffer because of them nobody knows. But I do believe that going through things like that make us more stronger because we have to think and live with what we are given, and also gives us more character. Even science with all its facts and what nots don't even have a cure for this, or other diseases.

I'm not saying that I have never been bitter from acne, because I have been and it really has changed a lot of things for me. But I am grateful that I can still walk and see and do other normal things that most people take granted for. And I thank God for that because I don't wanna wake up one day and lose my life over acne. If people cannot accept me for who I am it's okay because not everyone will like me. We ALL have some sort of challenge to overcome in this life, nobody is perfect. Having faith gives people hope, and there is nothing BS about that.

For me I don't think that we are also being punished, I juss believe that we go through what we go through because that is life. And everyone copes with it differently. I juss choose not to be handicapped over this, and pray that I become a better person because of my acne.

Medical science sure i believe in it, a student at emory university I think i know a thing or two. I was sick for a very long time and acne was the only VIsible symptom. I also was left with bad vision in one eye. No doctors could figure out exactly what I had though they all tried to help me in various ways. No one in my family has acne nor ever did. I never did until two months after i got engaged, 6 months after I became a dancer. I do believe in god and fate. I also believe in the four humours which is old medicine. It basically says that people's physical state and mental state are related. Someone who is choleric (constipated) is irritable and angry. All four of the humours are adjectives used in today's language. The point I'm getting at is now that I am feeling like a wholesome lovely person in the decisions I make and who I am, I'm beginning to look better too. And I do believe that God is watching and making sure we're on the right path. If you ever go to college and take theology and western civ. you can read about the archaelogical and documented proof of Jesus and his disciples.

Oh and the medical theory of how the world was created is that dolphins used to be wolves??? Noah's ark is more believable.

The one thing that got me to start believing was when I went to a job site with my dad this summer. A church had been flooded and my dad was called down to restore the electric. . Some priceless antiques from centuries ago were nowhere to be found in the church. They were found in a DRY WELL perfectly undamaged. Outside the well was all flooded. Yes, a well normally is filled with water and I didn't believe it either, until I saw it myself. All the local newstations were around taping it.

This is what I believe, i'm honestly not trying to make people suddenly believe in God.

And I never said I was being "punished". A lot of things in life would then be considered punishment but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I never would have buckled down and been excepted to this college if it hadn't been for acne. If you don't agree just simply say you don't. I have never poked fun at anyone's posts on this forum, and those who do are bitter people.

I believe in God and I respect people who believe in any sort of religion, but to claim that you have acne because God is not happy with you is complete nonsense.

I'm a rational person as you can see.

I don't believe in "fate".

People have the ability to change and think for themselves.

But hey if it makes you a happier person then that's a great thing ndmgal. The world needs more happy people.

I have to say this again:

We can't use relgion to justify everything wrong in ourlives. It's not God controling your breakouts. It's your body. It makes 100% no sense what some of you are saying in regards to this. If you get a treatment for your acne, and it clears you up, it's not God saying "ohhh gee yeah I've decided not to punish you anymore".

Remember there is no cure for acne. Oh wait a second, that means without the medications currently available, almost every person with acne would still have it covering their faces. Does that mean God is always punishing us?

Please someone argue that.

Dude, your God is EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELIL. The idea that God (if he exists) would punish a person with physical and psychological scarring from acne is ludicrous. No holier than thou God should ever wish that upon a person. You might want to find a new God.

It really is a moving story and it juss sad that many people bash what we believe in. I don't think it is arrogance to think that God saves us. I BELIEVE

Thanks bum bum, it wasn't arrogant what i said. I had no self- esteem no confidence before. I honestly believed that look were everything. I didn't know how to say no to people and all I wanted was this rich beautiful lifestyle. It wasn't real, it was a fantasy. Brought back to reality becuase of acne, I can't just get by on my looks. And I don't want to. I used to dress to get attention from guys, now I dress to get respect. This perspective took me almost a year to come to but when I sit in church on sunday I fele safe. I can make it through the week without feeling helpless and lost and depressed. I can hold my head up high for the first time in almost 5 years. People that used to think I was slutty are now calling me to come party and hang out. So whatever has made me make this 180 degree turn, which I believe is God, it's definitely the greatest thing that has happened to me. Sure I want my skin to be perfect, and since my acne is gone and my scars are healing (for the first time) I know it's in the near future. But in high school I didn't believe in god, I didn't care. How I found my way back, being the stubborn girl who always needed facts, is a bit compelling.

To those who don't believe in my story, at least try to believe in something.

It really is a moving story and it juss sad that many people bash what we believe in.  I don't think it is arrogance to think that God saves us.  I BELIEVE

First of all, I didn't refute your arguement cause like I said before, I do not believe that God is punishing us with acne or for the bad things that happen around us. I will make myself clear and say that I agree with you that I don't believe that God is punishing us, so why would I refute to something that I totally agree on. I am not using religion to justify anything or everything that is wrong in our lives, and we all have our own perspectives in life and that is what makes us who we are. I never said that I was right, all I say is that I believe. You have your OWN opinions and I would never say that you have low quality thinking juss because you have your own way of thinking.

I wouldn't even classify myself as having low quality thinking juss because you think that I never look outside the box. Things happen for a reason, people get sick, people die, people get murdered --> a lot of people suffer so much more than we do with our acne, and we don't know WHY it happens. Juss like what ndmgal said, I am not here to make people believe in God or to even prove there is one. All we are saying is that we have been through so much and it is our FAITH that pulls us through, that gives us hope that no matter how chaotic our lives can be, or how much evil we think there is that is out to get us, that we can go beyond that and realize that those challenges like acne help us to become a better person. And to me that in itself is a little miracle because not everyone can look at it that way.

I don't try to deny what other people are saying, I respect that. But I also respect what ndmgal shared because it isn't easy to write something like that without people disagreeing. Religion really is a controversial topic and I am not here to disregard everyone who doesn't believe in God. I am simply stating my own experiences in conjuction with ndmgal, and that shouldn't make me any more of a low quality thinker than you are.

Thanks bum bum, it wasn't arrogant what i said. I had no self- esteem no confidence before. I honestly believed that look were everything. I didn't know how to say no to people and all I wanted was this rich beautiful lifestyle. It wasn't real, it was a fantasy. Brought back to reality becuase of acne, I can't just get by on my looks. And I don't want to. I used to dress to get attention from guys, now I dress to get respect. This perspective took me almost a year to come to but when I sit in church on sunday I fele safe. I can make it through the week without feeling helpless and lost and depressed. I can hold my head up high for the first time in almost 5 years. People that used to think I was slutty are now calling me to come party and hang out. So whatever has made me make this 180 degree turn, which I believe is God, it's definitely the greatest thing that has happened to me. Sure I want my skin to be perfect, and since my acne is gone and my scars are healing (for the first time) I know it's in the near future.  But in high school I didn't believe in god, I didn't care. How I found my way back, being the stubborn girl who always needed facts, is a bit compelling.

To those who don't believe in my story, at least try to believe in something.

Heck this forum is as controversial as the one's I usually read and write in - the ones about diet and acne. Man, I get jumped on frequently because I believe that diet matters.

You see, I am thinking outside the box on diet and acne and my son and many others are proof that their faces have responded to the type of diet we discuss over there, but many still say NO WAY, I don't believe it. It is difficult to start or stop believing in something that you alway thought a certain way about. I am a convert when it comes to diet because I was a member of the church of doctors, yes I believed every word they said. Wrong. They spouted dogma about eat your fries, drink your shakes, it doesn't matter - and they were wrong. They didn't know any better, that has been what they were taught and there sure aren't enough studies out there to prove otherwise. But this forum and the many people I have corresponded with on this particular diet have been all the research evidence I need.

Anyway, no one is going to prove or disprove whether or not there is a god on this forum. I would think it strange for someone to think that in the grand universe with all of the struggles and horrific incidences and complexities that happen daily, that a personal god would A - be starting acne as a punishment or B - cure John's acne but not Mary's. It is way too ego tripping for me. But that is just one girl's opinion. eusa_think.gif

Heck this forum is as controversial as the one's I usually read and write in - the ones about diet and acne.  Man, I get jumped on frequently because I believe that diet matters. 

You see, I am thinking outside the box on diet and acne and my son and many others are proof that their faces have responded to the type of diet we discuss over there, but many still say NO WAY, I don't believe it.  It is difficult to start or stop believing in something that you alway thought a certain way about.  I am a convert when it comes to diet because I was a member of the church of doctors, yes I believed every word they said.  Wrong.  They spouted dogma about eat your fries, drink your shakes, it doesn't matter - and they were wrong.  They didn't know any better, that has been what they were taught and there sure aren't enough studies out there to prove otherwise.  But this forum and the many people I have corresponded with on this particular diet have been all the research evidence I need.

Anyway, no one is going to prove or disprove whether or not there is a god on this forum.  I would think it strange for someone to think that in the grand universe with all of the struggles and horrific incidences and complexities that happen daily, that a personal god would A - be starting acne as a punishment or B - cure John's acne but not Mary's.  It is way too ego tripping for me.  But that is just one girl's opinion.  eusa_think.gif